    intensity.

    Any ideas, experiences, suggestions much appreciated

    Bernard Gibbons

    Bernard Gibbons, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Bernard Gibbons

    Jim Townsend Guest

    The Canon EX flashes provide E-TTL metering.. which is what your G2 needs.

    Other flashes will fire, but there will be no metering.. They'll fire at
    full power. You'll risk overexposure.. especially when shooting fairly
    close.

    You can get around this by doing guide number calculations then manually
    choosing the correct shutter speed and aperture. Some flashes have a
    thyristor sensor.. These are a bit easier to use.. They have a scale
    that tells you what to set your shutter speed at based on your manual
    aperture setting.

    You have to be careful buying a third party flash. Some have hundreds of
    volts at the pins and they can damage your camera. These can be used but
    require an adapter be placed between the hot shoe and the lens..

    There are only a couple of third party companies that make E-TTL
    compatible flashes.. I know of a Sigma and Metz model.. But
    these aren't cheap either..

    The convenience of E-TTL metering is hard to beat.. Best bet is to
    pick up an EX flash.. The 420EX and 550EX are comparatively expensive.
    You may be able to find a used 380EX.. or use the cheaper 220EX... The
    main problem with the 220EX is there is no swivel.

    I'd recommend getting a Canon flash.. It's a pretty big outlay,
    but they do keep their resale value. If you purchase another
    Canon camera in the future, you'll be able to continue using
    the flash..

    Jim Townsend, Jan 15, 2004

  3. Bernard Gibbons

    Frank H Guest

    You can get slave flashes that you can set to activate on the second
    flash - the Vivitar DF200 is one such.

    Frank H, Jan 15, 2004