Electronic Flash Question for the Geeks

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cooter, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Cooter

    Cooter Guest

    There was a time when the 'flash' in electronic flash units was a glass tube
    filled with an inert gas. A high voltage was applied to the tube to create
    the flash. I recently bought a good quality (Nikon SB-800) flash and some
    things in the manual lead me to believe it is a different animal. The flash
    is described as an 'Insulated Glass Bipolar Transister'. Some of the
    instructions refer to 'Start firing' and 'Stop firing'. This leads me to
    believe the 'flash' is actually a series of short-duration flashes.

    Can some of you electronic folks bring me up to date on this technology?
    Thanks for any help.
    Cooter, Mar 29, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Cooter

    Scott W Guest

    I believe it is an 'Insulated gate bipolar transistor" that you have.
    This is what controls the flow of current through the flash tube, which
    is still xenon filled. The flow of current is cut off when enough
    light has come back to the camera for the proper exposure.

    Scott W, Mar 29, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.