    test fails because the device isn't on, I note something becoming very
    cyclic in nature.

    Anyone know how to get around this?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 27, 2005

  2. Hi
    What model camera do you have and what model tester (is this a PAT
    tester)?

    Does the camera have mains connected directly to it for charging or
    via a separate charging unit which provides an isolated output? If the
    latter then you only need to test the charger.

    What is preventing you charging the camera before the test?

    Malcolm Moore, Apr 28, 2005

  3. Ummm, HP 4MP something, doesnt matter, we gave up and biffed it on an
    UPS that passed safety testing, so unplugged it from the wall, and left
    the camera charging :)
    direct plug to the camera.
    heh, the lack being allowed to plug it in without a safety test. :)

    It all passed in the end, just a bit of lateral thinking required.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 28, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    CSE Guest

    How stupid can we get, this beets them all, he has probably killed the Camera

    HP does meet World standard so why do it all again, and for what Point..?

    This would be one of the most stupid things that I have read here.

    CSE, Apr 28, 2005
  5. better a dead camera than a dead staffer.
    I work in a hospital, Im sure that the patients would be pleased that
    there is another step of electrical safety involved... How would you
    feel if say your kid(if youve got one) was lying in bed, and a
    non-tested cable hit the edge of the metal bed, frying them... Im sure
    you'd be stoked.
    so you don't read your own posts then huh?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 28, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Daniel Guest

    Almost all digital camera chargers are double insulated, so testing wiht a
    pat tester / mega is of no point, as both of these tests you are trying to
    see a "leak to ground" no ground no leak is posable. (the earth bond test
    is also of no point as there is no earth bond) All you can do for a DI
    device is to do the vishal inspection of the power lead.

    hmmm
    Daniel

    Daniel, Apr 28, 2005
  7. No, Regulation 45 states:

    45.Connection of power supply for testing, certification, or
    inspection purposes

    Nothing in these regulations prevents the connection, to any
    power supply, of any works, electrical installation, or electrical
    appliance, or the supply of electricity to any works, electrical
    installation, or electrical appliance, where that connection or supply
    is solely for the purposes of carrying out any testing, certification,
    or inspection required by these regulations.

    Regulation 76(3) states:

    (3)A fitting or electrical appliance (other than a medical/electrical
    fitting or appliance) that is in-service complies with regulation
    69(1)* if it has been tested, inspected, and tagged in accordance with
    AS/NZS 3760.

    While you are testing it, it is not "in-service" so you can
    apply power to get it in a state where your tester will work.

    *69(1) says things must be safe.

    Malcolm Moore, Apr 28, 2005
  8. Rubbish. Double Insulated devices can have exposed metal. That metal
    is not earthed and an earth leakage test is required to prove that the
    insulation between it and the supply conductors is still satisfactory.

    Malcolm Moore, Apr 28, 2005
  9. ok then, thats good I guess, not my area, just wondered if anyone had a
    clue as to get around it.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 28, 2005
  10. snip
    I didn't actually read it... I don't personally care.

    but then, it's not my area, I just wondered if anyone had a clue as to
    get around it.

    The safety guy has to test things, and either put a sticker on it, or
    not, it's not his place to argue with dumb managers, nor mine.

    "I am but a humble servent"

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 28, 2005
  11. Why? If it is designed to have the mains connected to it there is no
    way a properly performed insulation test is going to damage it.
    Just because it was safe when it left the factory is no guarantee it
    will remain that way.

    If you had electrical registration you would have received a copy of
    AS/NZS3760 which is titled "In-service safety inspection and testing
    of electrical equipment".

    This details the intervals at which equipment must be re-tested . e.g.
    for class I (earthed equipment)
    Construction & Demolition sites every 3 months
    Factories & Workshops every 6 months
    Commercial Environments every 12 months
    Offices every 5 years.

    This testing is required by Regulation 76
    I refrain from commenting.

    Malcolm Moore, Apr 28, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Keith Guest

    3760 is a means of compliance to 69 not a requirement

    Keith, Apr 28, 2005
  13. Yes, fair enough. My apologies.
    However, "it was safe when it was installed and it hasn't been tested
    since" is not going to go down very well when it becomes obvious that
    69 has been breeched.

    Malcolm Moore, Apr 28, 2005
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    CSE Guest

    YES NZ the way over regulated Country, for what reason, ? just to feed the
    Quangoes

    99% of stuff we service would not pass any tests what so ever as it was Crap
    in the first place.

    CSE, Apr 28, 2005
  15. I thought you were retired! So what's this "99% of stuff we service"
    then? :)

    If NZ is over regulated, and the manufacturers of 99% of the stuff you
    service are in countries that are under regulated (because it wouldn't
    pass any tests) what countries have, in your opinion, got it just
    right?

    Malcolm Moore, Apr 28, 2005
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Richard Guest

    Umm, in my experiance with AV gear, double insulated stuff is the worst at
    leakage to earth.

    The leakage test is largly meaningless as its not testing for a reactive leak to
    earth via filtering capacitors etc, which is what the bulk of the leakage is
    caused by.

    Richard, Apr 28, 2005
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    CSE Guest

    Have you ever brought stuff in NZ with the full details of the Reqs that it
    has passed..? even NZ made electrical stuff.

    I notice all UK stuff has it stuck on the back, and in most cases molded on
    the back.

    A lot of overseas stuff has stickers off all the Regs that it has passed..

    NZ Standards here are a utter Joke..

    CSE, Apr 28, 2005
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Craig Shore Guest

    Take it home and charge it up, return it to work and have it tested.

    And to be safe, don't touch it while charging it at home.

    Craig Shore, Apr 28, 2005
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Don Hills Guest

    As was pointed out, you don't have to get around it. The person doing the
    testing has explicit permission to plug it in in order to test it. I'm
    surprised they didn't know that. While they erred on the safe side in this
    case, I wonder what other errors they may make due to an apparent lack of
    familiarity with the regulations.

    Don Hills, Apr 28, 2005
  20. 99% of stuff we service would not pass any tests what so ever as it was Crap
    So just how does one service equipment when they are retired and
    non-registered ?

    If you're going to bitch about stupid posts Woger, you need to take a
    look at some fool posting as 'CSE' under the thread Warehouse DVD-R 50
    packs commenting about how cheap they get CDR disks.

    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Apr 28, 2005