    Quick question:

    Does anybody 'actually' use EFS? and if you do, what is you experience with
    it?

    Guest, Mar 1, 2006

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    ....and before any of you wise asses start your sh!t, I'm talking about
    Encrypted File System... not any other derivative.

    Guest, Mar 1, 2006

  3. Guest

    JaR Guest

    the plaintive wail of =?Utf-8?B?bTByaw==?=:
    Oh yeah. Some of the shots are really cool.

    http://earth.jsc.nasa.gov/sseop/efs/

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 10110

    JaR, Mar 1, 2006
  4. Guest

    JaR Guest

    plaintive wail of =?Utf-8?B?bTByaw==?=:
    Oh, sorry. Disregard previous poast. No, we don't use that.

    --
    JaR
    MCNGP 10110

    JaR, Mar 1, 2006
  5. Guest

    Frisbee® Guest

    Spoil sport.

    Frisbee®, Mar 1, 2006
  6. Guest

    Bigus Dickus Guest

    LMAO...you know us too well.

    I have used it, and it has one major downfall (that I could see). If you lose
    the Key, you're fsuked!

    One of my coworkers (with Administrative rights) had at one point, a long time
    ago, encrypted a folder that held sensitive information, mostly just past
    information, but information that needed to be accessible immediately upon
    demand.

    One of two things happened now, can't remember which happened first. Either the
    account that was used to create the Key was removed from the system, or we moved
    all the data to another server without decrypting it. Anyhow, the Key (from
    what I understand) is not reproducible. I believe it may work off of the
    account's SID.

    We had to send the entire drive off to a professional company that specialized
    in decrypting EFS. If my memory serves me right, it was the same company that
    reads the Airplane Black Boxes. They charged us some outrageous amount...like
    $10,000.

    Bigus Dickus, Mar 1, 2006
  7. I did a consulting job for a sales force company. I implemented MS Cert
    Services with EFS for Offline Files and Folder Redirection.

    Works great.

    --
    ..rev.mct.mcngp.44

    accepting it.
    ~Aristotle
    ..

    The Rev [MCT], Mar 1, 2006
  8. Guest

    Kurt Guest

    It works fine. Just be sure you understand that the key is explicitly tied
    to the workstation or domain "recovery agent", which includes the file's
    owner, system administrator, and others you designate as recovery agents.
    But if you lose that connection - OS goes bad, hard drive crashes, security
    gets corrupted, etc., you'd better have a GOOD, WORKING, TESTED copy of the
    certificate or your files are lost foreverrrrrrrrrr........

    ....kurt

    Kurt, Mar 2, 2006
  9. Hmmm....why does that sound vaguely familiar? Oh, I remember....I posted
    nearly the same [email protected] thing about 10 hours before you posted this. But thanks
    for the regurgitation, maybe *now* he'll get the point.

    Bigus Di©kus, Mar 2, 2006
  10. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Next time: screw security, don't store your admin password in an EFS folder,
    write it on a post-it note and stick it to your monitor. :0)

    $10,000?!? what the heck did you have stored that was worth that much to get
    back? ...post your guesses here.

    Guest, Mar 2, 2006
  11. HAHAHAHAHAH....you've never worked as a contractor for the US Gov't, have
    you?

    Password, post-it-note? HAHAHAHAHAHA I'm rollin over dyin here. You're
    fusking kidding right??? If this was found, not only would your entire
    company lose their contract and be booted off the government facility, you'd
    be put out in front of a firing squad, hanged by your nuts, and skinned with
    a potatoe peeler. AHAHAHAHAHAH...My eyes are still watering from laughing so
    fusking hard.
    HAHAHAHAHA....Again, with another good one....HAHAHAH.....Don't you have
    anything worth $10K? I'd pay $50,000 to get back just *some* of my
    *personal* lost data. I'd say we got off pretty fusking cheap with the
    $10,000.

    Bigus Di©kus, Mar 2, 2006
  12. Guest

    MitchS Guest

    And maybe you've found one of the three gummint employess who would actually
    recognize it as a password?

    MitchS, Mar 2, 2006
  13. Guest

    Bigus Dickus Guest

    Possibly, but I wouldn't hire anyone with a name that rhymes with dork.

    Bigus Dickus, Mar 2, 2006
  14. Guest

    JaR Guest

    plaintive wail of Bigus Di©kus:
    Yes, I'm fairly sure he was.

    Any company clueless enough to lose the encryption key for a drive valuable
    enough that it was worth 10 grand to recover, would be clueless enough to
    have passwords written on post-its stuck to a monitor. Exactly how many
    lusers have admin permissions in your company?

    Wow.

    JaR, Mar 2, 2006
  15. Guest

    Briscobar Guest

    All of them, why do you ask? Everyone always tells me they need access to
    everything, and who am I to say no?!

    Briscobar, Mar 2, 2006
  16. Guest

    CBIC Guest

    In
    That's how I do it too. I just leave it all wide open so they don't bother
    me about accessing stuff. Really cuts down on my calls.

    CBIC, Mar 2, 2006
  17. Guest

    Bigus Dickus Guest

    Eh, so maybe he was...I still had a great time reading it.
    Sh!t happens, the guy was a fool. Some of us believed he did it on purpose, but
    we couldn't prove it. We realized it almost a year after the guy quit. For some
    reason when we migrated from NT4 to 2000 Server, his profile didn't get copied
    over, and when we went to access it we were locked out.

    How many losers with admin passwords does any company have? It's not just
    losers, what about disgruntled employees that believe the world should pay for
    their mistakes? Or the a$$h0le that feels he must fusk with someone that he had
    a disagreement with?

    There are all types out there. Ya never know, until they actually do something
    stupid.

    Oh, and it wasn't the entire drive he encrypted, just a folder. It just so
    happened that the folder contained accounting information from the last 7 years.
    At the time it was needed, the company was being audited (as Gov't contractors
    often are). Without that information, we could have lost a $2M contract. $10K
    was pocket change.

    Bigus Dickus, Mar 2, 2006
  18. Guest

    TechGeekPro Guest