    Photoshop when the appropriate time comes. Is this a good approach or
    should I consider going directly to Photoshop instead?

    - Magnusfarce

    Magnusfarce, Oct 11, 2004

  2. Magnusfarce

    bob Guest

    Elements might do everything you need.

    If I had no software and was starting from scratch, I would probably choose
    Pain Shop Pro. For $99 it will do the majority of what Photoshop will do
    for a lot more.

    If you're running a business or planning on joining the graphic arts
    industry, photoshop starts to make more sense.

    Bob

    bob, Oct 11, 2004

  3. Magnusfarce

    GT40 Guest

    Use Elements, then if you need something that isn't there, look at PS

    GT40, Oct 11, 2004
  4. Magnusfarce

    bmoag Guest

    The question is how much you want to learn about image processing and how
    much you want to be automated for you.
    Elements has some wizards and allows the basic use of layers and masks, but
    is not as flexible as the full version of Photoshop. The big advantage
    Elements has over Paintshop Pro is that it allows use of color management in
    the same fashion as Photoshop. If you progress you will appreciate this
    feature because color management is the key to more easily match your print
    to your monitor without tearing your hair out.
    If Epson still offers the "Epson Academy" program on its web site this is
    well worth the $30 cost even if you do not use Epson printers (although
    Epson and Adobe must have collaborated because color management is easiest
    to accomplish with Epson printers): the heart of the course are video
    demonstrations of how to use Photoshop features, particularly
    masks/layers/curves/color management etc. that are difficult to learn just
    from reading a book. If you like what you see you may want to wade into
    deeper waters.

    bmoag, Oct 11, 2004
  5. Magnusfarce

    Wald Guest

    Since noone else thought of this:

    Why not try The GIMP? It's open source, it's being actively developed and
    it does everything one needs in the amateur to semi-pro range.
    Download link (for Windows):

    http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

    There's some simply *great* documentation to get you started:

    http://manual.gimp.org/
    http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html
    http://gimp.org/tutorials/
    http://gug.sunsite.dk/
    http://www.gimpguru.org/

    Regards,
    Wald

    Wald, Oct 11, 2004
  6. Because it is only 8 bit and has no color management?

    Otherwise it is just great!

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 11, 2004
  7. Elements version 3 was just announced. It has new features plus the photo
    storing features in P Album.
    You can
    buy the new Elements packaged with the new Adobe video editing program.
    Unless you are a professional, I cannot see paying $600 for Photoshop.

    Sabu

    Robert Morrisette, Oct 11, 2004
  8. Magnusfarce

    bob Guest

    It doesn't work with a tablet (in windows) either.

    Bob

    bob, Oct 12, 2004
  9. Magnusfarce

    wald Guest

    Why not try CinePaint then (= ex-FilmGIMP)?

    From the website (http://cinepaint.sourceforge.net):

    * 8/16/32-bits of color per channel (up to 128-bits RGBA)

    Just thought you might be interested...

    Regards,
    Wald

    wald, Oct 12, 2004
  10. Yupp - that looks interesting.

    Unfortunately - they currently have no stable Windows release
    and it is not planned before Q4 2004. Thats now! But ... as they
    still say that; it is probabaly not Q4 2004, but rather sometime
    2005.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 12, 2004
  11. Magnusfarce

    RSD99 Guest

    CinePaint ?

    Last I heard ... it was still mostly a Beta ... and not
    available as a pre-compiled Windows Executable.

    Regarding both "The GIMP" and CinePaint:

    Both of these programs are approaching being quite capable
    .... but in reality are "Hacker's Delights."

    Do not get involved with them unless you own ... and know
    how to use ... a "Compiler."

    RSD99, Oct 13, 2004
  12. Magnusfarce

    Wald Guest

    Well... opinions differ, I guess :)

    Regards,
    Wald

    Wald, Oct 13, 2004
  13. Magnusfarce

    Wald Guest

    I'm not quite getting this. Are you talking about the next Windows,
    Longhorn? In that case, it's even worse: it's planned for Q4 2006, so count
    on 2007 at the earliest :)

    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2004/Aug04/08-27Target2006PR.asp

    Regards,
    Wald

    Wald, Oct 13, 2004
  14. Magnusfarce

    bob Guest

    I'm not sure why you say that -- we use the precompiled versions of The
    GIMP on several windows machines at work and it's just fine for about any
    general image editing tasks. If it worked with a tablet, it would be
    suitable for many more.

    Bob

    bob, Oct 13, 2004
  15. Magnusfarce

    RSD99 Guest

    "bob" posted:
    "...
    If it worked with a tablet, it would be
    suitable for many more.
    ...."

    It does ... at least with the Wacom Intuos2.

    From a posting by Tor Lillqvist <> on
    comp.graphics.apps.gimp

    = = = = =

    You need to pass GIMP the command-line switch --use-wintab
    to enable
    pressure (and tilt) sensitivity. This is because there used
    to be several
    bugs in the tablet support in GTK (the tookit that GIMP
    uses) on Windows.
    However, I think most of them should be fixed now in the
    latest versions of
    GTK.

    If you start GIMP by clicking on a shortcut (onb the desktop
    or in the Start
    Menu), edit the shortcut's properties and add --use-wintab
    to the shortcut's
    command line ("target").

    RSD99, Oct 13, 2004
  16. No - I am talking about the next stabel Windows release
    of CinePaint. Stable releases of Windows I have stopped
    waiting for already :)

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Oct 13, 2004
  17. Magnusfarce

    bob Guest

    Cool -- I'll give that a try!

    Thanks.

    Bob

    bob, Oct 14, 2004
  18. What do you base that on? Being able to add new features, or change
    existing ones, is indeed an advantage of software you can get the source
    for. But there's no need to.

    I write software all day, using complilers for several different
    machines, so I certainly have access to a compiler. But I have
    installed the standard Windows binary distribution of The Gimp, using
    its installer, and never felt the need to look at the source yet.
    It works without any "hacking".

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Oct 14, 2004