    how to do it but he was correct. After pressing the forwared button
    tyhe message is not visible and cannot be edited. Does anyone know
    how to do please?

    kipper, Mar 6, 2010

  2. kipper

    Mike Easter Guest

    kipper wrote:
    Disclaimer: I have never used AOL mail, I have never seen the 'inside'
    of AOL mail, but I /do/ understand some basic concepts about forwarding.

    Fundamentally there are two different 'styles' of forwarding and many or
    most mailuser agents (which MUA concept is not the same as webmail)
    which can choose between the two styles of forwarding, one of which is
    often called 'forward as attachment' and the other of which is called
    'inline'.

    If an agent forwards something 'inline' then it does *not* forward the
    entire preexisting mail headers, but instead it forwards a little bit of
    information such as the From and Subject - which information is
    typically configurable - along with the message *body* content only.
    That inline forwarding is part of the body of the message of the
    forwarder and is editable.

    If an agent forwards something 'as an attachment', then the entire smtp
    'package' of mail - consisting of all of the preexisting headers
    contiguous with the body - is forwarded as an email 'package'.

    If the AOL mailer is not configurable for its forwarding method, then he
    should be cutting and pasting instead of forwarding as an attachment to
    accomplish the goal of which you speak.

    IMO it is exceedingly rude and offensive for anyone to email anyone else
    someone else's email address; and I would not give a 'private' email
    address to anyone who handles their contact information like that.

    Mike Easter, Mar 6, 2010

  3. kipper

    Whiskers Guest

    Introduce the concept of real email programs; I'm sure they can be used
    with AOL email accounts. As I understand it, the AOL special software is
    only required for getting connected; then it can be 'minimised' and normal
    software used instead.

    Whiskers, Mar 6, 2010
  4. kipper

    Whiskers Guest

    [...]

    Neither of which predicates what the AOL user actually sees and has control
    of; AOL march to their own drum.

    I have a correspondant who uses AOL webmail and is in the habit of
    'forwarding' all sorts of rubbish that has already been forwarded several
    times, and I end up getting sometimes literally hundreds of strangers'
    email addresses (and sigs and corporate disclaimers and so on, as well as
    inane comments, much of it in both plain text and at least one HTML
    version - sometimes two HTML versions of the same thing ... <sigh>).

    The messages I get are generated by

    and typically have

    in the main headers. Then the message body starts with a boundary defined
    as

    followed by some blank lines and then another boundary defined as

    which contains the whole of the text of the email being forwarded
    (including some or all of the strangeness resulting from that message
    itself being a 'forward' of something else). That is followed by another
    boundary defined as

    which repeats the whole of the previous section but with added HTML
    auto-generated by AOL's webmail system (and sometimes residue of HTML
    generated by earlier participants in the chain). Then come any
    "attachments" from the original email and from any of those in the chain,
    such as

    which is AVG spam from one of the earlier links in the chain. JPGs,
    word-processor docs, presentation files, etc, also come as "attachments".

    If one of the earlier links in the chain has forwarded "as an attachment"
    instead of "inline", the structure of the resulting message is even more
    complex of course. Sometimes the original content of the first message
    (plus all its attachments) can be repeated several times.

    If AOLers could actually see the garbage they are sending they'd probably
    faint from shock - which may be why AOL hide it from them.

    You may remember the near-universal relief when AOL finally stopped
    "supporting" usenet.

    Whiskers, Mar 6, 2010
  5. kipper

    Fred Hall Guest

    So easy, no wonder it's #1

    Groups where Cliff lurks added. Maybe he can help you

    Fred Hall, Mar 6, 2010
  6. kipper

    Cliff Guest

    Mail strictly forwarded cannot easily be forged or altered AFAIK.
    But you CAN highlight what you want, hit REPLY, change the TO list
    & edit the copied text before sending.
    Please note the options for TEXT (right mouse click on SEND
    window text field).

    Or just copy & paste to a new SEND Email window.

    HTH

    Cliff, Mar 7, 2010
  7. kipper

    Fred Hall Guest

    It broke my heart. Seriously.

    Fred Hall, Mar 7, 2010
  8. kipper

    Cliff Guest

    To expand just a little.
    A 1200 baud modem used to be expensive & a 4800 baud was a rush.
    When AOL forwards mail it does it from it's servers; no need to send
    again from the user's machine.
    This is a huge speed increase even today if there are large attached
    files involved as they don't have to be uploaded to be sent.
    OTOH read mail on AOL's servers expires & gets purged after a few
    days to about a week so saving read mail & expecting it to keep
    for long is not a good idea.
    BUT you can read it & mark it unread ... that works.

    Cliff, Mar 7, 2010
  9. kipper

    Mike Easter Guest

    24hshd only
    So, in AOL in order to manage a forward with some flexibility one has to
    artificially make it a Reply and the repopulate the To.

    Gmail's (webmail) default forward mode is *not* to forward as
    attachment, but instead to forward inline with the included headers for
    To, Subject, Date, and From -- while such as an html body maintains its
    rich text condition.

    Since the To and the From would be considered undesirable and bad
    netiquette, and since the typical socialspam phenomenon is all about
    forwarding jokes and such, likewise the date and subject and 'Forwarded
    message' label are all considered undesirable.

    That is, if I were forwarding a joke in gmail, I would simply forward
    and decapitate the forwarded message header, rather than go thru' the
    reply dance.

    Also, in gmail, the 'reply' process creates a level of citation around
    the content of the body which would be undesirable for a joke; whereas
    the Forward process doesn't do that.
    Typically I copy and paste. That way I can choose whether I want to
    edit the joke's formatting or plaintext it or clean up the paragraph
    spacing or wrapping or even put it into a different/better html condition.

    I think that people who forward things in whatever ugly condition they
    receive them are being exceedingly lazy; and I think it represents a
    another different form of bad netiquette to send 'junked up' jokes even
    if the bad netiquette of passing around other people's addresses is
    remedied/eliminated.

    Mike Easter, Mar 7, 2010
  10. For 30 days.

    But they have a "save online" folder now ... and have had so for ... I
    don't know ... at least five years. But in contrast to most web mail
    providers this is not automatic.

    Monika.

    --
    All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers ... Each one owes
    infinitely more to the human race than to the particular country in

    E-mail address is valid until 4 weeks after the expiration date. Use
    @arcor.de instead.

    Monika Eggers, Mar 8, 2010
  11. kipper

    Cliff Guest

    I'll buy this ... I'm still mostly using AOL 7.0.
    I was thinking of the recently deleted mail too, that's
    only good for a few days.

    Cliff, Mar 15, 2010