easy port question

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by J Lunis, Jul 21, 2005.

  1. J Lunis

    J Lunis Guest

    Posted here a while back on a smililar question. Trying now to find
    more info.
    Originally, I wanted to know how to open and close ports in Norton
    Firewall and how to check ports to see what is open.
    A few people here suggested sites that run port tests and consistently
    these tests came back 'stealthed.'
    I am trying to get Tivo software on my PC to communicate with my Tivo
    DVR over a network. Can't get it to work.
    (PC > router - ethernet)
    (router to Tivo DVR - wireless)
    Tivo claims ports 2190 and 8080-8089 must be open.
    Somewhere I read Norton Firewall does not have the capability to open
    ports. As a test, I disabled Norton and Windows Firewall.
    Communication still failed.

    Now Tivo is saying I need to open ports on my router (Dell(linksys?)).
    I can find nowhere on the router to open ports and a Dell tech guy
    claims the router does not have the capability.

    A few questions.
    Isn't opening ports a security risk? Or does a router and sw firewall
    still protect me? I have a hard time imagining a large corp like TIVO
    would build sw requiring me to compromise security.
    Is it possible to open ports in Norton Firewall?
    Is it possible to open ports on my Dell router?
    BTW, I realize only people with these products might be able to answer
    these, but I am inclined to think both can open ports.
    If security tests I have run confirm ports are stealthed . . .
    1) How do I know if the sw or router have them stealthed?
    2) Will disabling Norton Firewall open the ports?
    (Dell says it is not possible to disable/bypass the router.)

    J Lunis, Jul 21, 2005

  2. J Lunis

    Clark Guest

    Clark, Jul 21, 2005

  3. J Lunis

    J Lunis Guest

    Been there. Read them all. TIvo works perfectly with my laptop. Can't
    get it to communicate with my PC.

    J Lunis, Jul 22, 2005
  4. J Lunis

    Andrew C Guest

    you should look at the configuration on your laptop and try to compare it to
    the desktop and change any different settings to the exact same as the
    laptop and see is you have any luck doing that.

    Andrew C, Jul 22, 2005
  5. J Lunis

    Clark Guest

    I am assuming your laptop is wireless and the desktop is not. If you are
    going through the router and the laptop works, then the settings must be
    correct, unless the TiVo is possibly connecting directly to your wireless
    laptop.

    Look on the router and see if the TiVo has an IP address. Probably in the
    DHCP client window. Then try to ping it from the laptop and desktop. You
    might even do a pathping to see if they are the same.

    I have never set up a TiVo for wireless, but did you use the laptop to do
    that? You might go over those instructions to see if you notice anything.

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 22, 2005
  6. J Lunis

    J Lunis Guest

    Yeah, did that. Looks identical.
    One difference - If I ping Tivo from the laptop
    (actually, telnet 'address' 80), it passes. Same test on the PC fails.

    J Lunis, Jul 23, 2005
  7. J Lunis

    Clark Guest

    Well I don't understand why you can't ping the TiVo. I just went through
    the Tivo setup and it seems you probably used DHCP to set it up. Have you
    checked the addresses since you did that? What are they?

    I also got this from the site concerning your port openings:

    a.. TCP Port 2190
    b.. UDP Port 2190
    c.. TCP Ports 8080-8089
    If you have a newer router, the port adjustments might be in a Gaming area,
    if not perhaps in a filtering area. Note you have to enable both the TCP
    and UDP for port 2190. You might also try the Enabling WAN requests. This
    may be worded backward, so make sure you are enabling it. This part is only
    a guess so be ready to set it back if it doesn't help. I am not even sure
    if you have to enable them if everything is inside your subnet.

    Maybe someone will come along that knows how to do this.

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 23, 2005
  8. J Lunis

    J Lunis Guest

    pathping? What do I do?

    J Lunis, Jul 24, 2005
  9. J Lunis

    Clark Guest

    Just like a ping. Open a command window and type pathping 192.168.1.1 or
    whatever. It is almost the same thing as tracert.

    Clark

    Clark, Jul 24, 2005
  10. J Lunis

    J Lunis Guest

    Sorry for the slow reply. I'll look for WAN settings. I'll also check
    for filtering.
    To my knowledge, I did use DHCP.

    J Lunis, Jul 25, 2005
  11. J Lunis

    J Lunis Guest

    OK, did that. Best I can tell,
    Pathping from PC to TIVO Lost Sent %
    62 / 100 = 100
    Source to here 62 / 100 = 100

    pathping from PC to laptop everything is 100%

    J Lunis, Jul 25, 2005
  12. J Lunis

    J Lunis Guest

    More stuff I don't understand. But before I start
    my PC is wired to the router
    cable modem wired to the router
    laptop is wireless connection to the router
    Tivo is wireless connection to the router

    I can ping from PC to Tivo with no errors - 4 sent, 4 received
    pingpath from PC to Tivo is below
    telnet on port 80 from PC to Tivo 'could not open connection to the host'
    telent on port 80 from PC to laptop - I get a blank screen with a
    blinking cursor. Hitting ENTER 3 times gives me 3 more cursors. I have
    been told this means 'success.'
    telnet on port 2190 from PC to Tivo - immediately get the blank screen
    just as seen with port 80 to the laptop
    telnet on port 2190 from PC to laptop - immediately get the blank screen
    just as seen with port 80

    I still don't understand something (actually, many things).
    For me to successfully telnet to my laptop on port 80, does that not
    mean that port is open on my PC? And through the router? If I can ping
    telnet from PC to one device but not another, is that still a PC problem?
    When I successfully ping Tivo, what port is being used?

    J Lunis, Jul 25, 2005