Easy great panoramans with free Hugin 0.7 beta 4

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John Navas, Oct 22, 2007.

  1. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Hugin 0.7 beta 4 (http://hugin.sourceforge.net/) is quite stable and has
    a new Assistant (Wizard) tab that automates most common panoramas into a
    simple 3-step process (that can still be refined as desired). For best
    Hugin results:

    * Also download and install Autopano-SIFT
    (http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~nowozin/autopano-sift/), which automates
    the matching of images (creation of control points).

    * For difficult (or even "impossible") panoramas, try smartblend
    (http://smartblend.panotools.info/) instead of the usual enblend
    (configured in Hugin Preferences).

    Output quality from Hugin (based on Panorama Tools) is excellent, as
    good or better than other panorama software.

    Here's a comparison of a 3-shot panorama taken with my Panasonic
    DMC-FZ8...
    Panarama Maker 3 (bundled with Panasonic digital cameras):
    <http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/1087/stitched001wk2.jpg>
    Hugin (enblend) with Autopano-SIFT (cropped afterward to largest
    rectangle):
    <http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/3452/p1030391reducedjf4.jpg>
    <http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9814/p1030392reducedgk8.jpg>

    Here's another panorama, Hugin vs Autostitch (also free)...
    Autostitch (cropped and resized):
    <http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/7500/autostitchuf1.jpg>
    Hugin (cropped and resized):
    <http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9441/huginxe9.jpg>
    Originals (compressed with quality 45):
    <http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6489/p1030396reducedmd5.jpg>
    <http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/7549/p1030399reducednk7.jpg>
    <http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6821/p1030400reducedll4.jpg>

    John Navas, Oct 22, 2007

  2. John Navas

    ray Guest

    FWIW - I've also had good results, a lot easier, with the 'pandora'
    plug-in for GIMP.

    ray, Oct 22, 2007

  3. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    What makes it a "lot easier" than the simple 3-step process in Hugin?
    According to the documentation: "It does not find image matches
    automatically..." Hugin (with Autopano-SIFT) does. Pandora actually
    looks a lot harder to me. Also a lot more limited. What am I missing?

    John Navas, Oct 22, 2007
  4. John Navas

    ray Guest

    I seems a lot easier to me - it's a simple one step operation. You simply
    open the pandora dialog, select the photos - in order left to right
    (somewhat limited there, I admit); and it produces the panorama picture.
    Maybe you should try it.

    ray, Oct 23, 2007
  5. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    I did. ;)

    John Navas, Oct 23, 2007
  6. John Navas

    John Navas Guest

    Yet another new version of my hugin installer just posted, and may be
    freely downloaded from http://www.mediafire.com/?6yz9otexmmo

    Notable changes:

    1. GNU GPL cleaned up

    2. Fine granularity of shortcut control, with separate options under
    Desktop Integration for:
    a) Start Menu Group
    b) Desktop Shortcut
    c) Quick Launch Shortcut

    3. New shortcut control granularity can of course be modified with
    Change after installation, or restored with Repair.

    4. Shortcut names cleaned up.

    5. Install directory for embedded Enblend can now be changed (just like
    for hugin), and is tracked by auto-configuration of Registry settings
    for Enblend.

    John Navas, Oct 30, 2007
  7. John Navas

    John Navas Guest