Easy CD Creator won't make a CD image file

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by spading traces, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. I have a near-archaic version of Easy CD Creator (4.02e), which nicely
    complements my four-year-old 8x Plextor drive (hey, gets the job done
    when I need it!).

    This is a Win98 system with about 1.2 gig of available HD space (yeah,
    livin' on the edge, I know...).

    I am about to make a CD of photos to pass out to several family
    members who were at a recent wedding with me. So I'd like to make a
    CD image on my HD, then create several CDs from that.

    Two days ago, I made a CD image with no problem. Then another cousin
    who had been traveling since the wedding sent several pictures, so I
    added them to the CD layout, deleted the old CD image, and set out to
    make a new one.

    But this time, the software just sat there. From the menu, I picked
    File > Create CD Image and I got the dialog box asking me what I
    wanted to call the file, but then nothing. My computer didn't lock
    up; I could access Easy CD Creator, I could do anything I wanted to on
    the computer. But the HD never spun, the status box that normally
    comes up the moment you start creating a CD image never appeared,
    nothing.

    Figuring that maybe the memory was corrupted, I did a full Windows
    restart and immediately launched the software. Same problem. It was
    like telling a deaf dog to do calculus; it was like the software was
    just staring blankly at me.

    I have no viruses or malware affecting my system (ran NAV, Stinger,
    Ad-aware, and Spybot, all currently updated, yesterday and came away
    clean).

    It's not an issue of disk space. The photos take up about 250 meg on
    my computer, I'm burning to a 700 meg CD, and I have 1.2 gig free on
    my hard drive.

    And as I said, I was able to create a CD image two days ago with no
    problem, on the same group of files, minus the 10 or so new photos
    (maybe 6 meg of disk space).

    1. Any suggestions of what's wrong and how to fix it?

    2. Any suggestions of more current CD burning software, free,
    easy-to-use, that will do better than Easy CD Creator 4.02e?

    spading traces, Sep 1, 2004

  2. spading traces

    Eric McG Guest

    Question #1: Sorry, but I don't have an answer.

    Question #2: IrfanView (freeware) will create customizable slideshows that can
    be saved as standalone executables, screensavers, or burned to a CD-R/CD-RW disc
    that will autorun and contain its own engine.

    Here's a link:
    http://www.irfanview.com/

    Don't forget to download the plug-ins also.

    Eric McG, Sep 1, 2004

  3. 1. I never got an answer either, but I *did* recreate the CD layout,
    save it to another file, and use that to generate a CD image
    successfully. No idea why the other, perfectly good layout file
    failed to generate a CD image.

    2. IrfanView is GREAT! I already use it for a lot of my image viewing
    and editing. How many images can this slideshow thing encompass?
    I've got 400+ images covering about 250 megabytes of data.

    2a. When I was asking for a recommendation for a free program, I
    actually wanted something to replace Easy CD Creator 4.05e for burning
    music or data CDs.

    spading traces, Sep 1, 2004
  4. spading traces

    Parko Guest

    Parko, Sep 1, 2004
  5. spading traces

    Eric McG Guest

    The slideshow would only be limited by the capacity of the CD.

    Be sure to get the latest version (3.92) and its plugins.

    Eric McG, Sep 1, 2004
  6. Why not simply use the free "plextools" software that can be downloaded from
    Plextor's website? I have recently started using this and it works very
    well for creating iso images of any type of project (data cd, audio cd, data
    dvd) as well as burning those images to cdr/dvdr.

    Adrian Boliston, Sep 2, 2004
  7. spading traces

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Be extremely careful with cdburnerxp pro. I got it on my machine and the
    rev I had left xp broken after uninstall. Took it all out manually.
    I've had good luck with burn4free. I'll take a look at deepburner.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 2, 2004
  8. I appreciate the suggestions. I looked on download.com for reviews of
    these. Burn4free comes with spyware. Deepburner and cdburnerxp
    sounded promising. Maybe my Roxio (actually Adaptec back then)
    software wasn't so bad after all.

    spading traces, Sep 3, 2004