    What's the simplest (free) way of doing this? Both our machines are running
    XP.

    Tim

    Tim Downie, May 21, 2010

  2. Tim Downie

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    Jeff Gaines, May 21, 2010

  3. Tim Downie

    Mike Scott Guest

    Mike Scott, May 21, 2010
  4. Tim Downie

    Harry Guest

    What you really need is teamviewer.
    http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
    Its free always a bonus and very easy to use.

    Harry, May 21, 2010
  5. Tim Downie

    Rob Morley Guest

    TightVNC is free, cross-platform and not too much of a bandwidth hog.

    Rob Morley, May 21, 2010
  6. I have used the program Crossloop to take over remote control of a
    friends computer (at his request) in order to fix a problem. They have
    pay versions as well as a free one, with fewer features.

    http://www.crossloop.com/download.htm?affid=xl&src=hp_download_footer

    I have used Crossloop along with Skype at both ends to talk over the
    problems with a friends computer as well rather than tie up a phone
    line. Most people like to be able to ask you questions while you work
    on their computer remotely even though it can get distracting...

    Another program that has been recommended to me by other technicians is
    TeamViewer. It appears to have even more features and is free for
    private users according information on the web link below.

    http://www.teamviewer.com/solutions/support.aspx

    It appears that this application includes a built in Skype type
    interface as well, if you activate it, but I have not actually used the
    TeamViewer myself yet.

    GlowingBlueMist, May 21, 2010
  7. Tim Downie

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    http://teamviewer.com/index.aspx

    Dr Zoidberg, May 27, 2010
  8. Not sure if it will work with XP but I've used Logmein to help my
    mother/rest of the family out.

    Richard Sutherland, May 30, 2010
  9. Tim Downie

    Woody Guest

    Have a look here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/default.mspx

    Most IT staff when helping on line use Remote Desktop which works
    well and is very effective.

    Otherwise consider VNC.

    Woody, May 31, 2010
  10. Tim Downie

    Zolesz

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2010
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    0
    The easiest and the most user friendly way of doing this is by using TeamViewer. When you stat team viewer you get an unique id and a password (it is changed every time you close the program) and if you give the ID and the password to an another TW user they can connect to your PC. It is really fast and free to use. :)

    Zolesz, Jul 1, 2010