Easiest/best way to make DVD archival copies...

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Steve Forrestor, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. Steve Forrestor

    Justin Guest

    Biz wrote on [Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:56:00 GMT]:
    Of course not. He wants to justify his actions by saying everyone else
    steals, so he should too.

    Justin, Dec 3, 2004

  2. Steve Forrestor

    Guncho Guest

    Sorry I have absolutely no problem , stealing movies, music, just
    stealing in general I guess?

    Cue - "Been Caught Stealing by Janes Addiction"

    Chris

    Guncho, Dec 3, 2004

  3. Steve Forrestor

    Video Flyer Guest

    Ah, yes. Salt of the Earth, you are.

    Neal

    Video Flyer, Dec 3, 2004
  4. Steve Forrestor

    Jon Purkey Guest

    I've borrowed tapes and DVDs before, but I did not copy them.

    Now, I do plan to copy some of my own commercial tapes to DVD for
    convenience and to save space, which may technically be illegal, but
    since I'm not going to sell or even give away the original tapes I
    don't see a problem with doing so.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Dec 4, 2004
  5. Steve Forrestor

    Justin Guest

    That is not illegal in the US. At least.

    Justin, Dec 4, 2004
  6. Steve Forrestor

    Guncho Guest

    So not once in high school did you borrow a tape or cd and copy it?

    Yeah right!

    Chris

    Guncho, Dec 4, 2004
  7. Steve Forrestor

    Justin Guest

    Not everyone is a thief.

    Justin, Dec 4, 2004
  8. Steve Forrestor

    Mr. Moody Guest

    Right (sort of). Not just digital recordings but any work that is protected from
    copying by technological means, for example Macrovision videotapes.
    No it isn't. Why don't you quote the text of the actual law that says that. You
    don't even have the name right.
    That's because the content owners KNOW that if they try to prosecute someone for
    making fair use copies they will lose (and rightly so), and this would set a
    precedent they don't want. They still remember what happened with VCRs.
    No it isn't.
    See above. They know what would happen.
    See above. What the law really says is essentially that it is illegal to sell or
    distribute anything intended to defeat copy protection of any kind (in the US;
    most other countries don't have this asinine law yet). 321 was breaking it by
    SELLING their software. Buyers were not bothered. The law says NOTHING about
    making, owning, or what you can use it on if you have it.

    I wouldn't bother correcting you but the propaganda you are spewing is what the
    content owners WANT everyone to think. They would like to see fair use rights
    disappear. They haven't yet. Steve is within his rights to make copies of stuff
    he owns to let the kids in his house use (or to take in his car etc.).

    Mr. Moody, Dec 5, 2004