    replacing DVDs that have become scratched or misplaced.

    Thanks!

    Steve

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Steve Forrestor

    Larry Guest

    Retro-active birth control:

    Seriously, control the kids... there is no excuse for letting them destroy
    your videos.

    OTOH if what you are REALLY doing is copying rentals DVDshrink 3.2 will do
    the job.

    Larry, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Steve Forrestor

    Reg Guest

    http://www.thescrapyard.pwp.blueyon... freeware utilities to backup your movies.htm>

    Reg, Nov 30, 2004
  4. Steve Forrestor

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Quit buying them DVD's to destroy. That's the cheapest way out. If they
    can't learn to treat things with care, they don't need them.

    Pug Fugley, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Sorry, no criminal intent, but thanks for the help inspite of the false
    accusation.

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  7. Thanks for sharing your Solomon-like wisdom.

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  8. Steve Forrestor

    Larry Guest

    If you saw an accusation there, then you need to see with better eyes than
    that.

    Larry, Nov 30, 2004
  9. Steve Forrestor

    Baked Guest

    Funny, I saw it also.

    Baked, Nov 30, 2004
  10. Larry, you said, and I quote, "... if what you are REALLY doing is copying
    rentals ..."

    That is a blatant accusation of stealing copyrighted material.

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  11. Baked,
    Thanks for the reality check!
    Steve

    PS... See my response to Mr. Lynch.

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  12. Steve Forrestor

    Larry Guest

    "IF" is a VERY big word, and shouldn't be interpreted to infer or imply
    anything other than what I said.

    The latest laws covering DVD, and other digital media is VERY clear and makes
    it against the law to copy DVDs under ANY circumstances... Regardless of
    reason it is illegal in the US at this time.

    Im sure that hurts some feeleings, and Im sure its not fair, but it IS THE
    LAW AS THE LAW NOW STANDS.

    So whether the OP is "Backing up" or copying for archive purposes, he is
    still breaking the law.

    Larry, Nov 30, 2004
  13. Steve Forrestor

    Biz Guest

    Biz, Nov 30, 2004
  14. Steve Forrestor

    Video Flyer Guest

    Video Flyer, Nov 30, 2004
  15. Steve Forrestor

    Larry Guest

    It would be good if they were in flux, but the "Digital Millenium Act" as it
    is called makes it a violation to OWN, MAKE, OR SUPPLY ANY EQUIPMENT,
    HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE THAT DEFEATS COPY PROTECTION ON A DIGITAL RECORDING.

    Not just the act of copying, but owning equipment that can do it, is a
    violation of CURRENT U.S. law.

    "Fair Use" has NOT been interpreted by law(YET) to allow copying any digital
    medium that has copy protection.

    Until, and unless it is so interpreted by law, it is illegal to copy DVDs
    even if you own them.

    I answered the mans question, I thought in a humorous fashion, but I guess
    there are still some people on UseNet with thin skins.

    As far as Im concerned, he can copy whatever he wants, I just always try to
    be clear that I dont condone copying stuff you dont own, and that the law
    says its illegal.

    So far, AFAIK, no one has been prosecuted for making "Archive copies" of
    stuff they own, but I know that some software companies have been driven out
    of the business of making the software that does it. (remember 321???)

    Larry, Nov 30, 2004
  16.
    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  17.
    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  18. Larry,

    I am deeply sorry if I read more into your comments than was intended.

    Sincerely,

    Steve

    Steve Forrestor, Nov 30, 2004
  19. Steve Forrestor

    Guncho Guest

    So whether the OP is "Backing up" or copying for archive purposes, he is
    Larry

    You may be right but WHO CARES!

    Chris

    Guncho, Nov 30, 2004
  20. Steve Forrestor

    Guncho Guest

    I use DVD Xpress to illegally copy rented DVD's illegally.

    Did I mention that I do this illegally?

    CHris

    Guncho, Nov 30, 2004