    Messages so delivered, that are not call supervision tones or
    announcements, add up to lost revenue for the originating network, and
    seems akin to phreaking.

    Graham., May 2, 2013

  2. I would be surprised if any network operator permitted early media from
    anyone who wasn't a licensed network operator. I wouldn't be surprised
    if they charge interconnect fees for it.

    Historically, the one case for end user early media would be freephone
    numbers, but whilst they were certainly once done as early media, I
    doubt that that is necessary any longer.

    David Woolley, May 2, 2013

  3. Yes. In particular, before the caller starts being charged.
    You can also do that by simply not answering, unless you exceed the
    network timeout, or want to send "comfort" messages interspersed with
    the ringback.

    Who bears the cost of early media in Germany (caller, network, or callee)?

    David Woolley, May 3, 2013
  4. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    I suppose my question is what if the call continued to remain
    unanswered while real content was delivered, say a recording of the
    current weather or road traffic conditions, wouldn't that be a
    conspiracy to commit fraud?

    What prompted me asking is discovering how easy it is with Asterisk to
    deliver (say) the first menu of an IVR before the channel is answered.

    I think it's a given that no speech or signaling from the caller can
    be received, which may be at odds with David Woolley's Freephone
    example

    Also there is a time limit and then the call will be dropped by the
    originating telco (as for normal ringing). Vodafone stayed connected
    for two min. BT landline rather longer, but I didn't time it.

    Graham., May 3, 2013
  5. Asterisk bridges early media in both directions.

    Current versions of Asterisk have some limitations on the default use of
    early media over SIP, see the UPGRADE.txt for version 1.6.2.

    You have to make a conscious effort to use early media with the Playback
    and Background applications used to implement interactive responses in
    Asterisk. By default, they will answer the call, although they both
    have options to inhibit that behaviour.

    Not sending ANSWER was precisely how Freephone was done in early System
    X, at least for recorded announcement services.

    David Woolley, May 4, 2013
  6. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    Thanks for that David. So you can have a two way call, but is there
    any legal reason for not facilitating free calls from the PSTN and
    mobile networks?
    Surely there must be.

    Graham., May 4, 2013