    the difference between a Major Release and this Early Development?

    Regards,
    AOS

    aos, Jul 25, 2004

  2. aos

    AnyBody43 Guest

    If it has been in for a bit and you are not seeing any problems
    then I guess that you have thoroughly tested it in your environment
    and you should not change. UNLESS - one of the security bullitins
    impacts you or you have some new feature that you wish to add.

    It is often difficult to avoid Early Deployment releases depending
    on the hardware and software features that you want.

    General Deployment releases have met certain strict criteria.
    Something like, (I am making this up) have been used in at
    least a certain number of sites of a certain complexity, with
    a new bug discovery rate below some threshold and with no known
    problems greater than a certain severity. GD releases are
    I guess pretty much frozen as regards the introduction
    of new hw or sw features.

    There is some material on the Cisco web site.

    Loads of people use any old software that ships with the router.
    We use (I hasten to add that it is not my choice) the LATEST
    software that is available. (My boss likes to make sure that
    he maximises both his experience and the opportunities
    to dive in and heroically fix stuff).

    Many people (big corporates) would never use anything but GD
    sw and some of those never put in anything that they have not
    tested in a lab environment that simulates their network.

    I have worked in a corporate lab with 2 x 6500 MSFC, 2 x 8500,
    sniffers, smartbits tester, loads of other stuff.
    The thing is that they really did find scary show-stopper bugs.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5187/
    products_tech_note09186a00801bb2c3.shtml

    or search for [IOS roadmap] which is what I did.

    AnyBody43, Jul 26, 2004