    better way? I know personal preference plays a big part, but I am looking for
    content vs content if possible.

    Thanks

    Mike, Nov 11, 2009

  2. E-Learning (particularly Microsoft E-Learning) is a great resource for
    getting *intro* and *overview* material on a topic, but I would not rely on
    it exclusively as a training resource.
    Published certification guides (MSPress, Sybex, Syngress) are designed to be
    more thorough, but they do require a certain amount of discipline in
    actually setting up the training environment and performing (and
    understanding) the exercises.
    Ideally.. I'd say use both -- but the latter is significantly less
    expensive, so unless you need assisted-learning with fundamental concepts,
    I'd likely recommend investing the $$$ in the books as a starting point, and
    only enrolling in E-Learning if additional assistance is needed.

    NOTE: Microsoft E-Learning offers a number of FREE courses as part of their
    ongoing promotional strategy, typically tied to the release of new products,
    or specific Microsoft strategies (like developer security training). I'd
    suggest reviewing the list of free courses, and enrolling on one or more, as
    an excellent sample to determine if paid courses would likely be beneficial
    for your cert prep activities.

    http://learning.microsoft.com/Manager/Catalog.aspx?view=free

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Nov 11, 2009

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    The books win. Thank you very much for your detailed response.

    Mike, Nov 11, 2009
  4. Mike

    BPODFW Guest

    I have used and very both and find the MS Press books thorough and
    technically accurate. The MS free e-learning is not as detailed but labs
    offer hands on. If you like the labs and e-learning, I would suggest the you
    look into IEEE computer society membership, www.computer.org. It offers most
    of the MS e-learning, in current products, plus thousands of other courses
    for ~$120 a year. Well worth it if you ask me, some material does not have MS
    press books yet so e-learning is better than no learning plus the labs. I
    have used other books such as syngress and exam cram but find them not as
    detailed. Personal preference.

    BPODFW, Dec 7, 2009