    To me if there is a listing repeated over a few times it should go to a
    e-bay store to keep the normal listings clean of all their crap. Most of
    them are crooks anyway.

    SteveJ, Jul 20, 2005

  2. Just make a list of seller IDs to exclude (you can specify up
    to 10), then go to eBay's advanced search page and put the
    IDs in the appropriate include/exclude field:
    http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/AdvSearch?sofindtype=1

    BTW I totally agree with you about the decline of eBay. It
    really has been taken over by shysters, liars and outright
    crooks.

    Andy Sullivan, Jul 20, 2005

  3. SteveJ

    [BnH] Guest

    Sign of G-auction coming up ? :)
    Before Singapore and Australia have eBAY , the current at that time online
    auction site was filled with junk too .. coincidence ? hmmm

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jul 20, 2005
  4. Could you translate that into English?

    If you're saying Asian and Australian sellers are among the worst
    eBay offenders, I couldn't agree more. At least as a general rule.

    Andy Sullivan, Jul 20, 2005
  5. SteveJ

    [BnH] Guest

    Google is coming up with their version of online auction soon I think ?
    [after they announce they will introduce a PayPal like site ]
    and the rest is in plain English :)

    I am Asian in Australia and have a 100% selling record for the last 5 years
    btw :)

    =bob=

    [BnH], Jul 20, 2005
  6. SteveJ

    Pete D Guest

    Thats not what he said at all, he said the online selling sites before Ebay
    was bad.

    Pete D, Jul 20, 2005
  7. SteveJ

    RustY© Guest

    My biggest gripe with these shysters is the amount of postage that they
    often charge. Usually hidden away in the miles of small print it often is
    more that the value of the item and the postage cost combined ! For
    example, how heavy is a compact flash card ? Ebay must do something about
    postage charges if it is to stay a credible way of buying.

    RustY©, Jul 20, 2005
  8. SteveJ

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    But what sort of record - 100% good, bad or indifferent? :)

    Neil Ellwood, Jul 20, 2005
  9. SteveJ

    Mark B. Guest

    Ebay is the WORST place to shop for new electronics. By 'new' I mean
    anything that hasn't been replaced yet, so that would include the 20D.

    Mark

    Mark B., Jul 20, 2005
  10. SteveJ

    kombi45 Guest

    Two words: Cameta Camera. The best.

    kombi45, Jul 20, 2005
  11. SteveJ

    Eric Miller Guest

    I don't really understand the problem. I have been using eBay for years and
    find it rather easy to exclude or ignore all the "Buy it now" sellers and
    obvious crooks. I always check the shipping charges and user ratings before
    bidding.

    Eric Miller

    Eric Miller, Jul 20, 2005
  12. SteveJ

    King Sardon Guest

    If you don't check the shipping and handling charges, then it is your
    own fault.

    It is not up to eBay but up to you and the seller.

    K.S.

    King Sardon, Jul 20, 2005
  13. SteveJ

    Bill Funk Guest

    STOP THAT!
    You're not allowed to encourage, or even mention, personal
    responsibility! Obviously, Ebay needs to make more rules, to protect
    the public, who is obviously too dumb to protect what little money it
    has.
    Oh, BTW, if we EVER catrch you displaying common sense again, you will
    be sent to a re-education camp!
    You've been warned!

    Bill Funk, Jul 20, 2005
  14. Personal responsibility has little to do with this problem. As it is
    now, when a buyer runs into a dishonest seller and leaves them
    negative feedback to warn others, the seller will simply respond
    with retaliatory negative feedback, even though the buyer did
    absolutely nothing to deserve it. That just plain sucks.

    There's no reason to have feedback for buyers. eBay should
    limit their feedback system to sellers.

    Andy Sullivan, Jul 20, 2005
  15. SteveJ

    Eric Miller Guest

    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I usually read the negative feedback (and the
    feedback from the people who post the negative feedback) to determine if it
    is actually problematic or just retaliation. If there is little feedback I
    usually determine if the person has sold anything of substantial value and
    look at the feedback on that. This usually takes me all of five (5) minutes
    and only on people with low feedback ratings. When a person has lots of
    feedback and 99.8% of it is positive, I generally don't worry about a few
    negtive feedbacks, unless all of the last few are negative. I guess its just
    that "caveat emptor" thing stuck in the back of my mind since history class
    in 9th grade.

    I guess its re-education camp for me.

    Eric Miller

    Eric Miller, Jul 20, 2005
  16. I do about the same. I've never had a problem except for the packaging
    of two large items. The Seller made things right though. If a Seller
    has thousands of feedbacks and they are 97+% positive I doubt many
    people will have any issues. I've bought cameras, lenses and many other
    expensive items without a hitch. Many times too people don't check the
    shipping costs before purchasing and then find they are getting soaked.
    I firmly believe that a smart shopper will have little trouble buying
    on ebay.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Jul 20, 2005
  17. SteveJ

    Matt Guest

    You could probably find a category to report Post and Packing charge
    violations under, since the shysters that do this are deliberately
    cutting their ebay listing & value fees to the bone (and that is,
    naturally, against the ebay T's&C's) - I've seen some that make every
    item 0.99 and put the actual price in the P&P - that way they pay the
    minimum in listing and final value fees.

    There is definitely a category for reporting multiple listing abuse -
    over 10 the same, though it's amazing how many groups of 9 identical
    listings you see.

    The "volunteer policing" of ebay's forums is far more stringent, and
    far more effective, than the total lack of policing of their auction
    site.
    The reporting procedure is tedious, longwinded and confusing, and
    while it no doubt reduces or eliminates frivolous reporting - though a
    seller commiting a slight technical violation is still likely to be
    ratted on by an opposing seller, it also discourages those who might
    volunteer to clean up the cesspit.

    I reported a couple, but in the end, I just couldn't be bothered
    traipsing through the procedure.

    Matt, Jul 20, 2005
  18. SteveJ

    Brad Guest

    Ebay could care less about any of your concerns, that is until margins
    start dropping then they might do something to make it more user
    friendly right now they are happy as larks. I don't think they can
    start being freight police either. by the way Ebay isn't alone with
    charging exorbitant freight charges many online stores pump up their
    margins with freight.

    Brad

    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved
    body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out,
    shouting......." HOLY @#$%... WHAT A RIDE!"

    Brad, Jul 20, 2005
  19. SteveJ

    Guest Guest

    You *ucken joking right?

    The Aussies are one of the most honest traders i have dealt
    with.PERIOD!

    I have purchased a stack of goods and have never been dicked once,
    either as a buyer or seller.

    If you want to talk out and out crooks have a look at the Camera Stores
    in NewYork they are THE biggest groups of crooks on earth.

    Regards

    Ned Kelly :)

    Guest, Jul 21, 2005
  20. I have bought about 8 items on ebay, seven were without a hitch. Two of
    them were larger ticket items, both computers. The one, a Dell was
    great, but the other a clone from a small outfit in Texas (Dollar
    computer) wasn't so good. Part of the back was bent due to the computer
    being shipped in bubble wrap and brown paper. But this wasn't a big deal
    but I noted it to the seller in an email. Everything went fine for a
    while until the computer would just reboot. I notified the seller who
    said to return it. I expected to get a refund as stated on the web site
    as it was within 30 days but as the seller pointed out at another point
    in the web site it said the a replacement was the only option. True, my
    fault for not seeing the discrepancy. Okay so I received another
    computer. This one came with a front cracked bezel. I complained about
    this, requesting a replacement bezel and was told to make a claim with
    the post office. Well to make a long story shorter, this one also
    rebooted spontaneously. Now you've got to understand that we were in the
    process of upgrading computers. I had lived with a Dell 7000 laptop
    which has a Pentium 2 and my wife had the tower model HP with a Pentium
    3. So I upgraded hers first with the Dollar computer and next upgraded
    mine to a Dell with a 19" LCD monitor. So here my wife has now the
    lesser of the two computers, also a clone verses a well known brand and
    hers kept spontaneously rebooting. She wasn't a happy camper, her
    comment to the effect of; "Didn't the name give it away." hurt. :) So I
    started to dig into it myself and after a memory test determined that
    the memory had a problem. I replaced the memory and haven't had a
    problem since. One lesson learned is that when buying items such as a
    computer it's best to reserve your rating of the seller for a while. I
    gave him a good rating as soon as I received a working computer, even
    though it did arrive slightly damaged. When you do find yourself in this
    situation there not a lot of viable, economically feasible, courses of
    action. I had $600 bucks into it, as I told my wife, if the memory
    doesn't fix it, I'll trash it and get her a Dell.
    Paul

    Paul Schilter, Jul 21, 2005