dyndns broken in 12.4 ?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Dirk Westfal, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. Dirk Westfal

    Dirk Westfal Guest

    Hi,
    i`ve seen the following behaviour after configuring dyndns via http
    with 'interval maximum 0 1 0 0' and other likewise settings: the router
    spits error messages like the ones below every second (with no debugs
    enabled, just warnings) and the cli starts feeling very 'sluggish'. I
    would guess that cpu usage went up to 100% ...

    Has someone else seen this ?

    thx,
    Dirk

    003662: *Mar 15 20:35:07.347 UTC: %SYS-2-NOTQ: unqueue didn't find
    65A3F414 in queue 65DDB224
    -Process= "Dynamic DNS Update Timer Process", ipl= 0, pid= 48
    -Traceback= 0x60E84ABC 0x601F9D38 0x60F3B370 0x60F3CAEC 0x61E4AF40
    0x61E4AF24
    003663: *Mar 15 20:35:07.347 UTC: %SYS-2-NOTQ: unqueue didn't find
    65A3F414 in queue 65DDB224
    -Process= "Dynamic DNS Update Timer Process", ipl= 0, pid= 48
    -Traceback= 0x60E84ABC 0x601F9D38 0x60F3B370 0x60F3CAEC 0x61E4AF40
    0x61E4AF24
    003664: *Mar 15 20:35:08.083 UTC: %SYS-2-NOTQ: unqueue didn't find
    65A3F414 in queue 65DDB224
    -Process= "Dynamic DNS Update Timer Process", ipl= 0, pid= 48
    -Traceback= 0x60E84ABC 0x601F9D38 0x60F3B370 0x60F3CAEC 0x61E4AF40
    0x61E4AF24
    003665: *Mar 15 20:35:08.083 UTC: %SYS-2-NOTQ: unqueue didn't find
    65A3F414 in queue 65DDB224
    repeat ad nauseum.

    Dirk Westfal, Mar 15, 2006

  2. Dirk Westfal

    Merv Guest

    Tracebacks are usually an indication of an IOS bug.

    Suggest you open a case with the Cisco TAC if you have a support
    contract or just purchased the unit in question.

    Merv, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Dirk Westfal

    Uli Link Guest

    Yes I guess I saw something similar after I added the "remove" URL to
    the update method.
    Or more precisely: I looked what SDM generated ;-)

    Just remove it, only leaving the "add" URL and it worked again.

    Also forced updating every hour, even if nothing changed will abuse-lock
    your DynDNS account soon. The update method is alway called when IOS
    notices a change *or* the maximum interval.

    Uli Link, Mar 16, 2006
  4. Dirk Westfal

    Merv Guest

    There are a number of DDNS bugs in 12.4

    Bug Id Headline
    CSCsd25502 DHCP: debug ip ddns updat output changed in *DNYDNSUPD:
    Domain
    CSCsc77748 DDNS update always appends domain when DHCP FQDN option
    ASCII encoded
    CSCeh08503 DDNS updates are marked duplicate and ignored
    CSCeg41935 DDNS - Question mark is not understood by parser
    CSCeh92025 global ddns command hinders interface-specific ddns command

    Merv, Mar 16, 2006
  5. Dirk Westfal

    Uli Link Guest

    Cosmetic only...
    Not relevant for HTTP update methods...
    Not relevant for HTTP update methods...

    This was in 12.3(8)YA too... Press CTRL-v before ? or copy from tftp: to
    running-config. So not really related to 12.4, but still there...
    To be checked, this may prevent http update method if there is a global
    dhcp update method.

    Not mentioned here:

    for HTTP Update methods you'll need to explicitly allow traffic from the
    tcp port 80 of members.dyndns.org to any in your inbound WAN interface
    ACL. No dynamic ACE is created by a http inspection rule.

    If your router's resolver gets it's name-servers via "ppp ipcp request
    dns" the lookup for "members.dyndns.org" fails.
    Workaround: create a static host entry or statically configure your
    ISP's name-servers.
    Wishlist: a configurable (few seconds should be enough) delay.

    Uli Link, Mar 16, 2006
  6. Dirk Westfal

    Dirk Westfal Guest

    Thx to all and especial to Uli!

    @Uli:
    Nat is enabled on dialer0, and I can telnet to port 80 of
    members.dyndns.org just fine from the cli.

    Luckily I'm using first the internal (conntected via another link) and
    then
    the external dns server :)

    Dirk Westfal, Mar 16, 2006