'Dynamic Full' vs '2/8' means what?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dogger the Filmgoblin, Jun 29, 2004.

  1. Okay, I know what 'Dynamic Range Compression' means in my DVD player's
    setup menus, but the slider that I can set is ambiguous in its
    meaning, and the manual is no help at all.

    With the slider I can set the 'Dynamic Range Compression' to 'FULL' or
    in fractions of eight, including '6/8' or '4/8' or '2/8' ... so when I
    set it to FULL am I setting the 'Dynamic' option to FULL and 2/8 means
    squeeze into 2/8 of its normal range, or am I setting the Dynamic
    Range COMPRESSION to FULL (meaning fully compressed) and 2/8 means
    only 2/8 of the FULL level of compression.

    This is confused even more by the fact that the slider itself is
    labelled simply 'DYNAMIC', whereas the information 'tag' that appears
    at the bottom when you select it says 'Dynamic Range Compression'.
    Literally minded I might interpret this to mean the slider sets the
    amount of compression ... but then why does the player default to FULL
    out of the box? That makes no sense since extreme dynamic compression
    should be an option not a default.

    Anyway, I have a crappy sound system and I can't seem be certain of
    the results just by listening.

    The player is a ClairTone CLDVD105T but I didn't mention it in the
    subject header because although it's a rare player I was hoping that
    it shared this menu setting with other models.

    The manual confuses the issue further, contradicting its own title:

    "DYNAMIC RANGE COMPRESSION: The DYNAMIC setting will increase or
    decrease the surround effect and sound quality in relation to room
    size, speaker placement, speaker quality, and listening style."

    This makes it sound like I am increasing and decreasing the dynamic
    range, not the COMPRESSION ... so why the title? How friggin'
    annoying.

    Does anyone know what this slider REALLY means?

    DB.

    Dogger the Filmgoblin, Jun 29, 2004

  2. Dogger the Filmgoblin

    Biz Guest

    Well, you are the one who bought some off brand model instead of a known
    entity. It was cheap and you couldn't pass up on the great deal right?

    Anyway, FULL is probably no dynamic range compression, and whatever is at
    the other end is probably as compressed as you can make it. Of course it
    could be exactly opposite that. If you have tried the two extremes and
    cannot hear any difference in the dynamic range, then it really is useless
    on your setup.

    It is intended for late night dvd viewing, or other instances when you can't
    have it cranked up to normal playback levels(apt dwelling/etc.)

    Biz, Jun 29, 2004

  3. Yes it was absolutely the cheapest DVD player that could be found on
    the face of the planet at the time I bought it. So what's your point?
    I wasn't exactly ranting or demanding superior quality or threatening
    the company. I'm just asking a question. I *could* cart the player
    over to friends house and just test the setting on his stereo to
    satisfy my curiosity, but I thought someone around here might just
    already know the answer.

    BTW this super-cheapo player is more compatible with more commercial
    DVDs than my uncle's fancy Panasonic or my pal's Sony. Mine's the one
    they come and test their discs on to make sure that there's nothing
    actually wrong with them when their players hiccup eating them. I
    still would rather have their players than mine, but it's something I
    always have to mention when the cheapness of my purchase is maligned.
    I have seen the 'cheaper is more compatible' effect before, in
    computer CD drives. It's not that big a deal; it's a minor effect. I'm
    not sure why but my theory is that by the time a drive mechanism or
    chipset becomes so mass-produced that it finds its way into the very
    cheapest equipment, it has already spent a lot of time in the testing
    rooms of discs producers in various machines.

    DB.

    Dogger the Filmgoblin, Jun 30, 2004