    Long Island, NY
    I need to learn how to design dynamic pages. I already know XHTML and CSS. I can hand code and I also own Dreamweaver CS3. I am trying to decided whether to learn PHP or ColdFusion. I am open to opinions as well as best way to learn
    Thanks so much

    savantcreative, Apr 4, 2008

  2. savantcreative

    Birmingham

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2007
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Birmingham
    php is the bomb solution. so much more powerful than coldfusion and so user-friendly too. pph.net has endless examples of how to do stuff, and there's andless forums like this and more php-dedicated ones where u can get easy help.

    all you need for dynamics is an index.php file like this:

    Code:
    <?
    session_start();
    if($_GET[colour]){$_SESSION[colour]=$_GET[colour];}
    ?>
    <h1>Hi!</h1>

    now try index.php?colour=#FF0000 ...and of course it will be different to index.php?colour=#999999

    already you can see how, using ?this=that in urls, and $_GET[blaa] (reads data pairs from the url) and $_SESSION[blaa] (stores a session cookie), you can make very dynamic sites ;)

    Birmingham, May 1, 2008

  3. savantcreative

    torontolife

    Joined:
    Jun 4, 2009
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    0
    You can increase your earning potential by teaching yourself languages like Ruby. Especially with the RoR (Ruby on Rails) framework, Ruby is one of the highest paying web development languages - especially in startups.

    torontolife, Jun 4, 2009
  4. savantcreative

    jbuyers

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2009
    Messages:
    47
    Likes Received:
    0
    PHP PHP PHP

    go with PHP all the way and never look back

    <? php

    print "got it?";

    ?>

    Yeeeeeeeeaaahhhhhhh!!!!