    I priced one for him today, $330+!!!! One place quoted him $450.

    Seems a bit extreme. Do they help?

    TIA,

    ~misfit~, Jan 15, 2004

  2. better than cheap modems, but not as great as the price suggests.

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 15, 2004

  3. ~misfit~

    XPD Guest

    Theyre just a tweaked ACFII based hardware modem.
    If your friend hasnt already tried an external SERIAL modem (not USB) then I
    advise they try a normal one.. if the normal serial based unit is pretty
    shite then i highly doubt the Rural version will help much more.

    XPD, Jan 15, 2004
  4. ~misfit~

    Fuel Guest

    I have a Dynalink Rural modem, I didn't realise it was a rural modem
    until I looked at the model number. I picked mine up for $20 second
    hand. Try trademe or something.

    Fuel, Jan 15, 2004
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Give ya $40 for it? ;-)

    ~misfit~, Jan 15, 2004
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Hmmm, might have to see if I can find a serial modem and try it first. He's
    just been using a succession of winmodems so far.

    Thanks.

    ~misfit~, Jan 15, 2004
  7. ~misfit~

    Fuel Guest

    Considering I'm using it right now, and wont be reverting back to my
    internal Lucent, no.

    Fuel, Jan 15, 2004
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Yeah, thats what I figured. I mean, I just re-built his PC for him for $600,
    Mobo (nForce2 ultra 400, integrated GeForce 4 graphics), CPU (XP2000+), RAM,
    case, PSU and HDD (80GB). Seems a bit extreme to spend most of that again on
    a modem. I wish his board had an ISA slot, I have a good Dynalink hardware
    modem here.

    ~misfit~, Jan 15, 2004
  9. ~misfit~

    collector Guest

    It may or maynot help. The rural modem has been designed to deal with
    certain types of line conditions, not all.

    In my experiance it helps with 50Hz freq on the line caused by earth
    return power systems used a lot in rural districts and with clicks on
    the line caused by electric fences, but provides no help with the hash
    created by poor line joints and increased line impedance.

    Go for a non software modem and then start hassling Telecoms about the
    line state.

    collector, Jan 15, 2004
  10. ~misfit~

    EMB Guest

    This is much the same as my experience, but my 3Com 56K external faxmodem
    does just as good a job on electric fence noise.

    Remember when you hassle Telescum about line quality that you are worried
    about the voice quality - for modems/data they will tell you that a 14k4
    connect is all they are required to provide (ie fax quality). I got a full
    (free) rewire of the house and a new underground cable to the road because
    of a crappy line (only for voice of course - the fact that 16k was the
    highest data connect was incidental).

    EMB

    EMB, Jan 15, 2004
  11. ~misfit~

    harry Guest

    The "rural" modem is a standard Rockwell ACFII chipset modem.
    It has no different design features.
    You can enter the same init string into the non rural version, its just set
    by default in the rural version.
    It is possible that other brands of external modem like 3com USR handle
    marginal line conditions better than a Rockwell modem with some wider
    tolerances in the init string.

    harry, Jan 15, 2004
  12. What is the init?

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 15, 2004
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I didn't think so, Just joshing. :)

    ~misfit~, Jan 15, 2004
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks for the input. I'm having trouble finding an internal PCI hardware
    modem (in Auckland, at the right price) so may suggest he gets an external.
    The problem is, his desk is cluttered as hell already.

    Cheers,

    ~misfit~, Jan 15, 2004
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    It's about now I'm wishing I knew more about init(ialisation?) strings. :)

    Thanks,

    ~misfit~, Jan 15, 2004
  16. try here.

    www.modemhelp.org or is that net, or both?
    www.808hi.com odd url, but handy site.
    www.modemsite.com

    These are ones I used when I did ISP helpdesk

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 15, 2004
  17. ~misfit~

    harry Guest

    My information there is out of date
    There is a new Dynalink Rural II modem available now $479 RRP !!!! holy
    exploitation Batman!!!!!

    harry, Jan 16, 2004
  18. ~misfit~

    colinco Guest

    An Agere Mars style modem is <$30, how cheap are you trying to go?

    colinco, Jan 16, 2004
  19. Crap... thats a bit on the steep side... where'd you get the pricing for
    that?
    Can a dealer give an approx on the wholesale charge?

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 16, 2004
  20. ~misfit~

    harry Guest

    Off the Dynalink site, It must be cheaper on the street.

    harry, Jan 16, 2004