DW Crashing Constantly When Using Find & Replace?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, May 23, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I have Dreamweaver MX 2004 and I just wondered if anyone else has had
    this major issue with Dreamweaver constantly crashing when you try and
    use Find & Replace?

    I made a few screen shots below of the problem.

    http://tinyurl.com/2x2kb

    My system is fully up to date with all the latest Windows updates, and
    is completely up to date with the Dreamweaver updates as well.
    However there is still this major problem using the Find & Replace.

    I just wondered if anyone else has this issue as well? And how long
    it will be before Macromedia fix it once and for all?

    Thanks

    John

    John, May 23, 2004

  2. John

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Do you have the 7.01 patch installed? It fixed a lot of glitches and makes
    it a lot faster too. Also, I notice you have an ATI dashboard. Make sure you
    have the lastest driver installed (v4.5). One of the scripts could also be
    damaged in DW - try re-installing? It should keep all your site settings.

    SpaceGirl, May 23, 2004

  3. John

    John Guest

    Yes I have the 7.01 update installed, and it didn't make any
    difference to the stability issues using the Find & Replace.
    When I go in Device Manager and look up Display Adapters it says the
    driver is version 6.14.10.6414.
    I'll try again, but I already tried this once and had the same probs.

    Cheers for your help

    John

    John, May 24, 2004
  4. John

    SpaceGirl Guest

    I have version 6.14.10.6436 installed, which is the latest-but-one driver
    (Catalyst 4.4). You can see the Cat version by right clicking your desktop >
    properties > settings > advanced. Then in the ATI popup, choose the Options
    tab. The first line tells you what drive / utils pack you have installed.
    The latest Cat version is 4.5.

    Good luck

    SpaceGirl, May 24, 2004
  5. John

    Trent© Guest

    What OS are you using?

    It would also help if you could post the actual link to your screen
    shot.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, May 24, 2004
  6. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Why don't you contact Macromedia, since you paid good money for their
    software, right?

    DeMoN LaG, May 24, 2004
  7. Could it be the old Cache problem? Uncheck the 'cache' (Site definition
    menu), close the menu, check 'cache' again - DW should recreate the
    cache and all should be well. If not, despair.

    Matthias

    Matthias Gutfeldt, May 24, 2004
  8. John

    SpaceGirl Guest

    That sounds like a comment from someone who's never tried to use the support
    form one of these mega-companies....

    SpaceGirl, May 24, 2004
  9. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Who says I don't /work/ in support?

    DeMoN LaG, May 24, 2004
  10. John

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Nobody that I know. Do you work for Macromedia then?

    SpaceGirl, May 24, 2004
  11. John

    Jim Berwick Guest

    I made no mention of Macromedia. You said it sounds like someone who has
    never tried to use support from a company. I'm saying that in fact I work
    support for a company. Depending on the company policy, the tech's
    experience and their mood, they could go as far as helping you reinstall
    the OS to fix a problem, or simply say "It isn't our problem, you'll have
    to contact your computer maker <click>"

    Have you ever called Macromedia support? I just checked and DW MX 2004
    costs $399. For $400 the company better jump through hoops to make it work
    right, no matter where the problem resides.

    Jim Berwick, May 24, 2004
  12. John

    SpaceGirl Guest

    I prefer to look online - I've yet to talk to a tech at one of these
    companies who knows much beyond the boundaries of their own programs.
    Unfortunatly, while you can be a Macromedia expert, you need to be a Windows
    expert to fix these things. I've worked in support too - I know how complex
    things can get. Macromedia seems to have a fairly typical help system...
    "two support calls within 90 days of each other" after which you have to
    start paying. Frankly, this is crap, but then just about the same as
    everyone else these days

    SpaceGirl, May 24, 2004
  13. John

    John Guest

    Hello. I checked and it says 7.97-031212a-013314c ?

    John

    Bitch Slap The French! :)
    http://tinyurl.com/2A3OS

    John, May 25, 2004
  14. John

    John Guest

    Thanks I'll give that a try as well.

    I have tried using support from companies in the past and it was very
    poor.

    Yes I did pay lots of money for the product, and no I'd prefer not to
    go to them for support. I'd prefer to ask people in alt.computer and
    other groups. You can only contact Macromedia 2 times I believe, and
    maybe there will be something more important or major that I will need
    to contact them, but I prefer not to contact Macromedia, Microsoft etc
    anyway as I have had bad experiences in the past, and they usually
    take forever to respond. (No disrespect to people working in Support
    - It's not personal :).

    This just seems like a fairly major fault with the actual product
    which they need to fix.

    John

    Bitch Slap The French! :)
    http://tinyurl.com/2A3OS

    John, May 25, 2004
  15. John

    John Guest

    John, May 25, 2004
  16. John

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    If it was a fairly major fault with the product and affected lots of people
    (as in, wasn't just happening to you) there would already be much
    discussion and you could google and find similar problems. This is a
    problem, more than likely, with your specific configuation.

    DeMoN LaG, May 25, 2004
  17. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    Sorry to bother everyone again. It looks like I will have to use one
    of my two free support calls to Macromedia, because I have tried
    everything that everyone has suggested to no avail.

    I upgraded my ATI stuff to the latest drivers - no difference.

    I tried clicking to reload the cache, that makes no difference.

    DW is already at the update version with the 7.0.1 patch.

    My Windows XP is always fully up to date anyway, so it cant be an
    issue there.

    I can't think that there is anything else that can be wrong with my
    system or configuration. Everything else I have from other companies
    works fine. It's just Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004, the find and
    replace that doesn't work.

    John

    John, May 26, 2004