DVI to Component adaptor advice need for a Media Centre PC.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jill haoulder, Jun 8, 2005.

  1. DVI to Component adaptor advice need for a Media Centre PC.

    Ive got a Nvidia 6600 Gt Video card. And i want to connect it to my TV
    but the Tv only has componate connections no DVI.

    Anyway if i connect it like this would i get the same picture as if i
    connected it via DVI or HDMI or atleast alot better than Svideo and
    Rcas ??

    And if i had some of those MicroSoft HD 720p and 1080i Trailers and
    stuff would they be in realy HD on my TV ???

    /ps my Tv is fully 720p and 1080i compatible.

    Not sure if that would work. I was sure you neded DVi or HDMI to get
    true HD from a Disc or fromy oru Media PC harddisc ?>?>?

    Thanks for any help.
    Jill haoulder, Jun 8, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. Jill haoulder

    Robin Guest

    This is what I use, as my Sony only has one DVI input that
    is used by my satellite box.


    It is actually a VGA to component adapter, with a pass
    through for the VGA so you can use your monitor and your TV
    at the same time. It works very well for me.
    Robin, Jun 8, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. And that would help me how ???

    Jill haoulder, Jun 8, 2005
  4. Jill haoulder

    Robin Guest

    I just googled your video card, since you did not bother to
    post the specs in your original post, and found that it only
    has DVI outputs; so I suppose that it would not help. When
    trying to get technical information, it is advisable to post
    pertinent information, like the fact that you only have DVI
    out on your PC. Perhaps you should google for DVI to
    component converter. I just did, and got 128,000 hits.
    Happy hunting, and next time try not to be a smartass to
    someone who is only trying to help you. Oh and top-posting
    is poor usenet ettiquete as well. Google top posting, and
    you will get approximately 22 million hits to explain that.
    Robin, Jun 8, 2005
  5. The 6600 comes with a component breakout cable that connects to the
    round component Din socket on the card. That has exactly the Y R-y
    B-y signals you need to connect to the HD TV. The DVI-D connector is
    the primary output and is used for LCD directly or for an RGB
    (computer) monitor through a DVD-D adaptor, also included with the
    card. You may have to connect something to the DVI-D socket to bring
    up the screen properties and change the primary display to the
    component output.

    .. Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), Jun 8, 2005
  6. To clarify, the Din conector is the one to use for HD component, NOT
    the DVI-D/VGA connector. Your TV however may have a regular
    conputer-type VGA connector which is then connected to the DVI output
    through the adaptor, just as you would connect a computer monitor.

    Hope that's clear.. :)

    ... Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), Jun 8, 2005
  7. Jill haoulder

    Billy Joe Guest

    Take a peek here, read the note on component output.
    I don't know whether such restrictions apply outside the U.S.
    now, nor if they will in the future.
    You might be better off, in the long run, converting a different
    output from your box.

    Billy Joe, Jun 8, 2005
  8. I guess it's worth noting that I have the card in question, and am
    providing help to Jill based on actual experience.

    ... Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), Jun 9, 2005
  9. Yeah it did come with a cable with 4 connectors. One with S-Vid Out,P
    out, T out, And PB out Comp. out :)

    And a DVI to Monitor plug adaptor plug i think. What would be the best
    option to connect to my HD TV. Asuming i have both options what would
    give me the best picture.


    /ps How close would i get to a true DVi/HDMI Digital Picture as i want
    to try some of these 720p and 1080I demo clips i have that everyone is
    making :)

    Thanks all.
    Jill haoulder, Jun 9, 2005
  10. erm, you want to feed the monitor Y, which is Green, Pb which is Blue,
    and Pr which is Red. The monitor should have matching colour-coded
    RCA connectors.
    Straight from the DVI out would give a pure digital connection, which
    would give the best results, but CRT monitors rarely support that.
    Using the DVI-D adaptor would give analog RGB, which is about the same
    quality as component, above. There's a good chance that the green,
    blue, and red component connectors on your monitor will support EITHER
    RGB or Y-Pr-Pb, switchable in the menu. In this case I would still
    use the Din output, (Y-Pr-Pb) since the card considers that to be TV,
    and playback from media player etc. would be better supported.

    ... Steve ..
    Steve(JazzHunter), Jun 9, 2005
  11. Jill haoulder

    Biz Guest

    Since the best connection type your tv supports is component, use that.
    Unless you replace your tv with one that has DVI or HDMI, you have no other
    choices if you want the best possible picture.
    Biz, Jun 10, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.