    doesn't decode the MPEG2 stream and re-encode it. Otherwise, it'll
    take at least a night rather than 20 minutes to backup 1 90 minute
    DVD. Anyone knows? Thanks.

    goldfgn, Feb 18, 2004

  2. goldfgn

    Jay Jay Guest

    Hope you didn't pay for it, because it's freeware :)

    DVDshrink is a transcoder.

    According to doom9.org:

    "Recently, compressed domain transcoders have reached quite some
    popularity. These transcoders are based on algorithms designed to
    recompress an MPEG-2 stream in real-time for TV broadcast. These
    programs can transcode an entire DVD movie in only a few minutes,
    because they do not have to decode and re-encode the entire video
    stream, but only part of it."

    Here's the guide for dvdshrink:
    http://www.doom9.org/mpg/dvdshrink31-main.htm

    Greets!

    Jay Jay, Feb 18, 2004

  3. goldfgn

    Nic Guest

    It is a transcoder like DVD2One. It compresses the video (audio is
    untouched). I have been using it since the first version and agree is it is
    wonderful software.

    Nic, Feb 18, 2004
  4. goldfgn

    Ray Guest

    yup.........DVDshrink is the shit..........cannot find out how to donate
    tho.......would if I could......

    Ray, Feb 21, 2004