    the type of connections. Without buying a new TV with multiple inputs, what
    can I try?

    Dave

    David Geesaman, Nov 17, 2003

  2. David Geesaman

    Shrivel Guest

    You can't typically run a DVD player through a VCR because the Macrovision
    copy protection circuitry will play havoc with the signal (as I think you're
    seeing).

    Either buy a RF-modulator that will allow you to use the coaxial connection
    to the TV (less than 30 bucks at any general retailer like Wal-Mart, Target,
    etc.) or it may be time to spring for a new TV :-(

    Shrivel, Nov 17, 2003

  3. David Geesaman

    Justin Teim Guest

    My girlfriend's DVD player (a Samsung about 3 yo) freezes and stutters
    When you buy good brand name products, you get better results. Buying a new
    unit every 3 years at $50 will soon cost more than the good unit that will last
    for decades.
    Hopefully you learned a lesson from this. You get what you pay for.
    Good god, the TV doesn't have multiple inputs either.

    You can either invest in a new GOOD tv and GOOD dvd player and not have these
    problems, or continue to throw away $35 here and there every few months or years
    and deal with all the problems you do.

    You are NOT saving any money when you get a $35 dvd player or television set.

    Keep with names like Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, Denon, and the like.

    Justin Teim, Nov 17, 2003
  4. David Geesaman

    Justin Teim Guest

    You can't typically run a DVD player through a VCR because the Macrovision
    If this guy buys a new TV, it won't have any video inputs anyway. GE sets
    usually don't. :)

    Justin Teim, Nov 17, 2003
  5. Thanks for the answer. That would explain things pretty accurately.

    One simple question though - her cable runs on channels 2-30 - won't that
    conflict with the ch3/4 setup most of these RFs use?

    Dave

    David Geesaman, Nov 17, 2003
  6. David Geesaman

    Tom Guest

    Thanks for the answer. That would explain things pretty accurately.

    Then again, perhaps they it does not, since you go on with this...
    If you connect an RF modulator to your tv set, then you have to disconnect the
    cable, don't you?
    How else can you connect the RF modulator to the ONE antenna input your cheap TV
    has?

    This Christmas, go out and treat yourself to a new TV set that costs more than
    $200.

    Then get a DVD player that costs more than $60 to go along with it.

    Tom, Nov 17, 2003
  7. David Geesaman

    Shrivel Guest

    Yep, it will - I thought about this after I had already posted the first
    time. You'll need a little switch to allow the connection of 2 coax inputs
    into a single coax connection. I guess they make these that will
    automatically select the proper input, but honestly it's been YEARS since
    I've even seen those things.

    It's a messy solution - wouldn't it be better to look for a TV that will at
    the very least accept composite (preferably s-video too) connections?

    Shrivel, Nov 18, 2003
  8. David Geesaman

    FredBillie Guest

    << From: "Shrivel"
    Date: Mon, Nov 17, 2003 10:37 PM

    Yep, it will - I thought about this after I had already posted the first
    time. You'll need a little switch to allow the connection of 2 coax inputs
    into a single coax connection. I guess they make these that will
    automatically select the proper input, but honestly it's been YEARS since
    I've even seen those things.

    It's a messy solution - wouldn't it be better to look for a TV that will at
    the very least accept composite (preferably s-video too) connections?

    I don’t understand the problem. Every RF Modulater I have seen at Best Buy
    and Radio Shack have a coaxial in and out AND RCA jack inputs. A friend with
    just a coax connection on her TV and a VCR, bought a DVD player and the
    connection was Cable to VCR, VCR to Coax of TV, and DVD RCA outputs to the RCA
    inputs on the RF modulator. No switch needed since the modulator switches
    automatically to the RCA input when a signal is present.

    Cost about $14.95 (on sale).

    FredBillie, Nov 18, 2003
  9. I did buy the RF modulator (4ch in, autoswitching). Things seem to be
    working fine, and I wouldn't consider it messy considering this 'system' is
    just a tv, vcr, and dvd. The autoswitching is pretty nice since you can
    leave one component selected (DVD) and it will play regular TV if the DVD is
    off, so no walking to the box or channel conflicts.

    Yeah, the final solution is better equipment, but it's going to end up in
    the 2nd bedroom with the computer and treadmill and stuff. I have a house
    down payment and a sports car begging for cash far worse than this.

    Dave

    David Geesaman, Nov 18, 2003