    However, this time it shows the available space as 4.4GB. If I have to I
    will trim of some of the video to fit onto the disk, but my question is what
    happened to the other .3GB?

    ftran999, Nov 23, 2004

  2. ftran999

    Toolman Tim Guest

    |I have a stack of memorex DVD+Rs which on the pkg label and the DVD itself
    | state that the capacity is 4.7GB. I have a large video file about 4.5GB
    | that I want to record to a DVD. I am using Ulead DVD Movie factory to
    burn
    | the disk. (It's actually a lite version since it came bundled with my
    | capture card. When I first open up UDMF and start a new project, on the
    | bottom there is a bar which shows the total capacity of the DVD as 4.7GB.
    | It will also show the size of the chosen video file. In this case 4.5GB.
    | After clicking next a few times I will come upon the menu to record to
    DVD.
    | However, this time it shows the available space as 4.4GB. If I have to I
    | will trim of some of the video to fit onto the disk, but my question is
    what
    | happened to the other .3GB?

    Mathmatics. I *hate* mathmatics. <grin>

    Okay - here's the thing...my first *guess* (and I do mean *guess*!) would be
    that all discs require a certain amount of "overhead" for logistics. There
    must be a directory structure, etc., that delineate the contents of the
    disc. That's only one idea, but after the day I had at work, one is all I
    had left ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2004

  3. ftran999

    doS Guest

    Here Tim:
    4.7 is in metric gigs. i.e. 4.7x10^9 where as PC's measure GB's in binary.

    4.7x10^9/2^30=4.377GB's.

    doS, Nov 23, 2004
  4. ftran999

    Shel-hed Guest

  5. ftran999

    Toolman Tim Guest

    See - I *knew* it was mathmatics <g>! But IIRC there is some overhead lost
    in directory structures (FAT tables, etc.).

    | Here Tim:
    | 4.7 is in metric gigs. i.e. 4.7x10^9 where as PC's measure GB's in binary.
    |
    | 4.7x10^9/2^30=4.377GB's.
    |
    | ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    | ----

    | itself
    | > | state that the capacity is 4.7GB. I have a large video file about
    4.5GB
    | > | that I want to record to a DVD. I am using Ulead DVD Movie factory to
    | > burn
    | > | the disk. (It's actually a lite version since it came bundled with my
    | > | capture card. When I first open up UDMF and start a new project, on
    the
    | > | bottom there is a bar which shows the total capacity of the DVD as
    | 4.7GB.
    | > | It will also show the size of the chosen video file. In this case
    | 4.5GB.
    | > | After clicking next a few times I will come upon the menu to record to
    | > DVD.
    | > | However, this time it shows the available space as 4.4GB. If I have
    | > | will trim of some of the video to fit onto the disk, but my question
    is
    | > what
    | > | happened to the other .3GB?
    | > |

    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2004
  6. ftran999

    Barry OGrady Guest

    DVD capacity is 4.7 gigs including overheads. Usable is around 4.3 gigs.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Nov 23, 2004