DVD sales worry Hollywood

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dave U. Random, Feb 20, 2009.

  1. Dave U. Random

    Justin Guest

    Archimedes' Lever wrote on [Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:29:13 -0800]:
    Since your posting host is a cox host, I am assuming you are in the USA.
    You do not have the legal right to break the copy protection on those
    discs.

    Justin, Feb 24, 2009

  2. Dave U. Random

    Justin Guest

    Tarkus wrote on [Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:13:05 -0800]:
    I am making no such assumption. I am stating that if ticket sales are
    down and revenue is the same, then ticket prices have gone up.

    Justin, Feb 24, 2009

  3. Dave U. Random

    Tarkus Guest

    That's not what I found debatable. What I found debatable was the
    assertion that ticket prices should have went down.

    Tarkus, Feb 24, 2009
  4. I CAN, however, DOWNLOAD the already done screeners, etc. Which means
    that *I* personally have done no such thing. Once I own the DVD, I can
    own a different form factor of that title. I never need to utilize any
    decoding software *myself*. Viola, the thing you are crying about was
    performed by someone in another country, and you lose again, and I have a
    file I can watch on small scale video players around the world..

    Hell, even if *I* do decode it myself, I am not the guy they are after.
    I have bought every title in my library, and most of those at release
    time prices, many several times over. I have practically every laser
    optic disc based format ever made.

    They love me. They could care less if I made a different version to
    watch while I am on the go. Reduced resolution personal copies are not
    what bothers them.

    Archimedes' Lever, Feb 26, 2009
  5. Dave U. Random

    Justin Guest

    Archimedes' Lever wrote on [Wed, 25 Feb 2009 18:27:31 -0800]:
    No, you can't. Fair use only allows you to backup what you yourself own,
    not to acquire it a different way. The DMCA blocks you backing up your
    own media.
    I think you mean voila.
    Though you are the kind of people they go after. They would be much
    better off stopping the wholesale pirates instead of the onsie twosies,
    however the low hanging fruit inside the country is much easier.

    Justin, Feb 26, 2009

  6. Wrong. The owner of a CD can also have MP3s of his songs, and no one
    asks if he DLd them or if he made the copy/conversion himself. They just
    don't care.

    With DVDs, they do care, so *I* cannot perform the conversion, however,
    I CAN grab the datagram if it has already been done by someone else,
    regardless of the legality of their act of conversion or making it
    available, me grabbing it is not. All I need to worry about is my
    ownership of it, and I am NOT worried about it,since I own the license to
    keep and view that title. Got it, bub?

    Archimedes' Lever, Feb 27, 2009

  7. I OWN a DVD. I DOWNLOAD my backup of it. I do not need to go through
    the process locally, just like MP3 collectors that own the CD do not have
    to make their own MP3s.

    Archimedes' Lever, Feb 27, 2009

  8. I also know that and you also got my meaning, chump.

    Archimedes' Lever, Feb 27, 2009

  9. Cite? I str ONE girl that got busted for downloaded music she did not
    own the CDs to validate the ownership of.

    Haven't seen or heard of much else.

    Archimedes' Lever, Feb 27, 2009

  10. You're the fruit that wishes you were hung low.
    Bwuahahahahaa!

    Archimedes' Lever, Feb 27, 2009
  11. No. You were trying to call me a pirate. *I* was talking about
    downloading movies WHICH I OWN.

    There is a difference, despite what your retarded ass contends.

    Archimedes' Lever, Mar 1, 2009
  12. Dave U. Random

    BlueBuyYoo Guest

    Sigh! I was not trying, I did call you a pirate. Go look up the
    definition.

    Buying a DVD does not give you the right to download another copy.

    btw: Nice snippage of the previous article to remove the quote where you
    admit that it is OK to download movies if you are too stupid to
    understand what is or is not OK.

    BlueBuyYoo, Mar 2, 2009
  13. I can buy a DVD, and after that, if I own it in another format, I feel
    fine about having it and about how I got it.

    Suck for you though. You cannot grasp the concept.

    It is illegal to speed, but people do it everyday. It is illegal to
    smoke weed, but people do it every day.

    It should be illegal to be as stupid as you are, but obviously people
    are that stupid every day.

    Archimedes' Lever, Mar 2, 2009
  14. Dave U. Random

    BlueBuyYoo Guest

    I don't give a rats ass about how you feel or how you get your movies.

    As I said initially, it is absolutely comical that you have been
    berating people about downloading movies, when you are doing the same thing.
    What concept? That you buy a DVD, illegally download another copy and
    then feel fine about it? Didn't you claim that you had the right to
    download copies of movies?
    And it is illegal to download movies and many people do it every day.
    You are one of the many.
    Pavlovian, ad hominem attacks just prove how stupid some folk are.

    BlueBuyYoo, Mar 2, 2009
  15. Dave U. Random

    Justin Guest

    Archimedes' Lever wrote on [Sun, 01 Mar 2009 20:39:43 -0800]:
    Now you're moving the goalposts.
    That doesn't make it legal

    Justin, Mar 2, 2009

  16. No, it is not illegal to DL a damned thing. It MIGHT be illegal to
    *have* it *once* the DL is complete, but the act of the DL itself is NOT
    illegal. The person that POSTS the DL MIGHT be breaking the law,
    depending on where they are located in the world. Getting a clue yet?

    If I DL it, and I do NOT own the DVD, I am far more culpable than if I
    DO own the DVD. I am sorry that is far too deep for your shallow brain
    to get a grip on, but that is the way it is.

    Archimedes' Lever, Mar 3, 2009

  17. Usually the person they target. All you pissy little bitches that cry
    about "ad hominem attacks" cannot handle the fact that many such remarks
    are not ad hominem, but are in fact, an iteration of fact about the
    target. YOU are the target. YOU are a retarded twit. *I* am done with
    the stupidity that YOU ooze.

    Archimedes' Lever, Mar 3, 2009
  18. Dave U. Random

    BlueBuyYoo Guest

    Actually, I understand all too well. Once again you are saying that you
    are still culpable if you download a copy of a DVD even if you own that DVD.

    Purchasing a DVD does not give you the right to download another copy of
    the DVD. End of story. You can rant on all you want, change the
    subject, drag the goalposts, but you cannot refute that statement.

    BlueBuyYoo, Mar 3, 2009
  19. Dave U. Random

    BlueBuyYoo Guest

    You seem have conveniently forgotten the fact here:

    Your original assertion was that once you purchase a DVD, you have the
    right to download another copy. *WRONG*

    Your supreme arrogance prevents you from admitting that you are wrong.
    Don't worry, people get things wrong every day. Welcome to the real world.

    BlueBuyYoo, Mar 3, 2009

  20. Wrong, dipshit. I can download ANYTHING I want. Once it is here, THAT
    is when having it becomes a legal issue.

    Archimedes' Lever, Mar 3, 2009