DVD sales worry Hollywood

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Dave U. Random, Feb 20, 2009.

  1. MSN Money http://xrl.us/begwtt

    DVD sales are slowing down, and that's got Hollywood pretty
    nervous.

    People have filled out their home video libraries, reports
    The Wrap. That's one of the reasons that DVD rentals and
    sales dropped to $21.6 billion last year from a peak of
    $24.1 billion in 2006.

    The entertainment industry was hoping that high-definition
    discs would pick up the slack, but folks aren't rushing to
    buy a $25 Blu-ray movie in this economy. And who can blame
    those who sunk money into the now-failed HD-DVD format for
    laying low for a while?

    DVD sales woes are hurting the bottom line at companies
    like Viacom, which saw home entertainment sales fall 6%
    last year to $1.02 billion, "The Wrap" reports
    http://xrl.us/begwtv . The picture was bleaker at Fox
    Filmed Entertainment, where DVD sales were down 15%.

    Even Time Warner, whose had the best-selling DVD of 2008
    with "The Dark Knight," suffered a 24% drop in DVD sales.
    And DVD sales at Disney fell by a third, reports The Wrap.

    The recession is undoubtedly hurting DVD sales. But maybe
    people just aren't ready to dump their DVD collections for
    Blu-ray just yet.

    For some titles, like the BBC's "Planet Earth" series, the
    difference between DVD and Blu-ray is spectacular. But
    other movies would be just as watchable on DVD.

    Dave U. Random, Feb 20, 2009

  2. Dave U. Random

    madara0806 Guest

    I was a relative latecomer to DVD, and only because anime DVDs started
    to come out bilingual, so I wouldn't have to shell out extra for a 2nd
    VHS copy with subtitles. I'm not bumping up to Blu-ray until I have
    no other choice and I can't get anything I want (anime and Japanese
    and Hong Kong films) on any other format.

    madara0806, Feb 20, 2009

  3. Dave U. Random

    xanthus123 Guest

    I suppose it would be too much to ask Hollywood to make *better*
    pictures

    xanthus123, Feb 20, 2009
  4. Dave U. Random

    Tarkus Guest

    And yet, the last two years have been the top two years at the box
    office, so apparently the films aren't what's driving down DVD sales.

    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/

    Tarkus, Feb 21, 2009
  5. Dave U. Random

    Tarkus Guest

    You don't have to. All Blu-ray players play DVDs. This isn't a case of
    moving from VHS to DVD.

    Tarkus, Feb 21, 2009
  6. Dave U. Random

    Flasherly Guest

    They need BR player that makes DVD looks better for cheaper - like
    round mouse things or square High Definition Management, or something,
    connectors TeeVees once missed.

    Flasherly, Feb 21, 2009

  7. If you had legit, purchased copies, then you would not feel bad about
    hunting up a digital copy of the movies you were deprived of on a bit
    torrent site like mininova or the like. Every movie you can think of is
    likely there somewhere.

    Archimedes' Lever, Feb 21, 2009

  8. There are also a lot of bluRay reader failures taking place in the PS3
    realm.

    A LOT. and it appears to happen after a certain firmware upgrade on
    units older than one year, the warranty period! Imagine that!

    My LD player lasted 18 years before it failed, and that was due to
    electrolytic caps, not the laser head. Sony had better be coughing up
    for a new drive unit in this thing regardless of the wording of their
    warranty.

    Archimedes' Lever, Feb 21, 2009

  9. It is absolutely indicative of the Bill Gates' School of Suck Mo Cash
    mentality that the entire consumer electronics industry has taken on. No
    service. No promise that the unit you send in for service will be the
    unit you get back. No channel for replacement parts. It is all about
    sucking more cash for a task than the task is worth.

    I want to replace a BD drive in my PS3 and NOT lose MY PS3, which has a
    customized case, etc. I that possible? Yes, but it isn't easy, and it
    is about double the price it should be for the part. If the damned thing
    is gonna fail like a PC CD reader on a yearly basis, then it isn't worth
    more than $25 for a new read head. If they make it a ten year head like
    a home stereo device *should* be, THEN they can charge a HUGE amount for
    it.

    The way I see it, Sony lied big time about the viability of their blue
    spectrum laser diodes, and these readers are failing because they did not
    care, and we now have to pay repair channel nonsense to fix the first
    series of failures. Wait until the number triples.

    I want my damned replacement reader, and I want it cheap, and I do NOT
    want to send my unit in and get some other unit back to do it! They
    should make the drives available to the folks that want to fix their own
    machine!

    I am already on my second PS3 and I am not using the bad one for any BD
    drive stuff. The bastards should be bowing at my feet to fix my problems
    with the amount of money they have made from me.

    Archimedes' Lever, Feb 21, 2009
  10. Dave U. Random

    Anim8rFSK Guest

    And there are Blu-rays that include the DVD for a couple bucks more than
    just the DVD would be, so you're set for now and for the future.

    Anim8rFSK, Feb 21, 2009
  11. No, we mean that the Disney Blu-ray copies of "Sleeping Beauty", "Snow
    White" and "Pinocchio" actually *contain* extra cardboard-enveloped DVD
    copies, because all the slowpoke future-adopters would bite Disney's
    head off three years from now if the title went back into the studio
    vault before they bought their first players...
    So why should WE good, responsible people have to suffer with a
    pointless throwaway disk, just for a bunch of stingy, tech-phobic
    fraidycats??) :mad:

    (Oh, and does AVD still *exist*, or did the Chihuahua pretty well kill
    it off for good a year ago?--
    My server cut off the Alt. groups around the same time, so I wouldn't
    know one way or the other.)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Feb 21, 2009

  12. That has to be the most ignorant statement I have ever seen made about
    video transfer of film material to ANY format. Of course they are ALL
    better than standard DVD ever was!

    I can't believe some of the crap remarks people come up with.

    The prints are ALL better than DVD quality, dope!

    Herbert John \Jackie\ Gleason, Feb 22, 2009

  13. You're an idiot.

    The same law that allows someone to make their own, compiled CD of
    songs that they own the CD they originate from would allow me to have a
    video file on my PSP that is the same as the DVD I have on the shelf, so
    I can watch my movie while I am on the train. I paid for that right, not
    the trivial disc the copy I have came on.

    You probably feel bad when you fart too.

    Archimedes' Lever, Feb 22, 2009
  14. Yep, that answers my earlier question: The Chihuahua's still there. -_-

    Derek Janssen (question is, is anybody ELSE there, nowadays?)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 22, 2009
  15. Dave U. Random

    Anim8rFSK Guest

    No, not the digital copies. Regulation DVDs, same as you get if you buy
    the DVD itself. My Sleeping Beauty Blu-ray is packaged that way (says
    "includes standard DVD")

    Anim8rFSK, Feb 23, 2009
  16. Dave U. Random

    Tarkus Guest

    Revenue was roughly the same, however, so that's debatable. And that's
    with the economy in the toilet.

    Nostalgia is nice and all, but has there ever been a time when people
    didn't generalize that Hollywood was making crappy movies? There have
    always been crappy movies, yes, but there have always been excellent
    movies too. The last two years are no exception.

    Tarkus, Feb 23, 2009
  17. Dave U. Random

    Justin Guest

    Tarkus wrote on [Mon, 23 Feb 2009 09:09:55 -0800]:
    How is it debatable? While the number 266 million less people went to
    the movies is wrong, 266 million less ticket sales is more correct.

    If attendance is down, yet revenue is roughly the same, what does that
    tell you about the price of tickets.

    Justin, Feb 23, 2009
  18. Dave U. Random

    Justin Guest

    No, you didn't

    Justin, Feb 23, 2009

  19. Yes, I did. I have made files from my DVD and watched it on other than
    a player from the original source before, and deleted the file the next
    day. I have no other obligation. I paid for a license to privately view
    the film data. Once I paid that (sometimes many times over), I can view
    the movie in whatever format I wish.

    I have also made files for my PSP from that file, and since I do own
    the DVD (rights), I have also downloaded files of films I own a copy of,
    as opposed to transcoding it myself. I can then convert it to any format
    or file size I want. My PSP currently has 3 movies on the memory stick,
    and that will change when I get my 16GB stick. I am also looking into
    burning the mini-discs 'UMD' sized discs with files and see if it 'sees'
    them. Watching movies on the bus with good sealing ear buds rules!

    Archimedes' Lever, Feb 24, 2009
  20. Dave U. Random

    Tarkus Guest

    You're making the assumption that lower ticket prices would have
    increased attendance enough to offset increased revenue from higher
    prices. That's why it's debatable, because you're just guessing.

    I'll make my own assumption. That the movie theater chains have done
    more market research than you have.

    Tarkus, Feb 24, 2009