    Allan Guest

    http://www.animationmagazine.net/article.php?article_id=5258

    DVD Sales Join CD Sales—Heading South
    Thursday, April 06, 2006
    By: Chris Grove

    Has the DVD market finally reached the saturation point? One of the
    most successful consumer products in modern history, home video sales
    fell the first quarter of 2006 4.3% and video rentals sagged 4.4%,
    according to a report in The Hollywood Reporter.

    That’s a stat that’s being obscured somewhat by the big recent debut
    of Disney’s The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the
    Wardrobe DVD which sold 4 million units on Tuesday, its first day in
    the store. Brokeback Mountain sold 1.4 million its first day, a strong
    number for a drama.

    In addition to softening demand (and perhaps because of it) the
    numbers of DVD releases in the first quarter of 2006 were down 14%
    from the same period last year. This is the first year the new release
    schedule has tightened since the DVD format was introduced in spring
    1997.

    Meanwhile, the latest (and, we’re sure, not the last) iteration of
    King Kong had a big week last week in DVD sales and rentals. The Peter
    Jackson film sold 6.5 million units the week ending April 2nd. Memoirs
    of a Geisha pulled up a distant second with about 1.25 million units.

    For all of Kong’s romantic élan, Geisha maybe the perfect date-night
    rental. With a reported $5.9 million in rental revenues, the film
    trailed Kong rentals by just half-a-million dollars. The leader the
    week before, Chicken Little dropped to third place.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Apr 8, 2006

  2. Allan

    Galley Guest

    For me personally, I have nearly every favorite older movie I could want. Other
    than a few new releases, I haven't been buying much lately.

    Galley, Apr 8, 2006

  3. Allan

    Mark Jones Guest

    They have raised the average purchase price and I quit buying
    hardly any DVDs. I was buying about $1000 of DVDs per year
    and I have almost stopped.

    In my opinion, the distributors have gotten gready and it has hurt
    sales. I am seeing way too many DVDs going for over $20, when
    it used to be that it was rare to see a price over $20 unless it was
    a Superbit DVD.

    Mark Jones, Apr 8, 2006
  4. Allan

    Richard C. Guest

    ===============================
    Where are you buying them?
    With price matching, etc, I still get most new movies for $15 to $18 each.

    No increases that I have noted.

    Richard C., Apr 8, 2006
  5. Wait a minute... What is the cause and what is the effect?
    With 14% less new product, sales were only down 4.3%?
    Doesn't sound like a softening market to me. Sounds like the producers are
    getting lazy.

    Kimba W. Lion, Apr 8, 2006
  6. <snipped below>

    So 100 mil for King Kong in one week in DVD sales means nothing?

    Debbie Proctor

    Deborah A Proctor, Apr 8, 2006
  7. Allan

    Invid Fan Guest

    It means that they're not releasing titles they don't think will sell,
    or at least delaying them. The 14% they didn't put out, assuming the
    choices were based on previous sales of similar films, probably
    wouldn't have made enough to cover costs.

    Invid Fan, Apr 9, 2006
  8. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Allan wrote on [Fri, 07 Apr 2006 21:59:41 -0400]:
    Once you collect all the older titles you want it's obvious you buy
    fewer titles altogether.

    Justin, Apr 9, 2006
  9. Allan

    despondent Guest

    My issue is different... I'm tired of the new product pattern where on
    a new release a single-disc version, pretty much movie-only, is $15
    and a double-disc set with extras is $25. Potter 4 did this, Narnia
    and others did this. Back in the old days you could get the 2-disc
    version on release day for $16-17.

    So to me $15 for movie-only is an overpayment and I just rent for the
    most part.

    despondent, Apr 9, 2006
  10. Allan

    Invid Fan Guest

    If everyone does that, they'll stop. However, you can't blame them for
    trying to find out if people will buy the movie without the extras
    (saving the studio the cost of making them), and/or if people are
    willing to pay for those extras.

    Invid Fan, Apr 10, 2006
  11. Allan

    Goro Guest

    you beat me to it, Kimba.

    14% less product and sales were down 4.3%. Duh. and so then people
    are buying MORE of the product there is, but there's just less product
    obeing put out there.

    -goro-

    Goro, Apr 10, 2006
  12. Allan

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    I have mixed feelings about this. Typically the MSRP for the one disk
    set is 25 or 30 and the 2 disk set is 30 or 33. But the B&M stores are
    carrying the 1 disk set for 13.99 or so with the 2 disk set for 24.99 or
    so. I dislike the idea because the difference between the one and two
    disk sets is too much (at least on opening week) BUT I appreciate the
    ability of getting the two disk set and I'm sure that lots of more
    casual fans of a particular movie appreciate the option of not having to
    pay for what they don't want.

    dick
    -- so I've been buying the deluxe editions on line for a few dollars
    less than the b&m prices.

    Dick Sidbury, Apr 11, 2006
  13. Allan

    Tim V. Guest

    Another case of crying wolf? I'm not a statistician, but those
    numbers don't alarm me, in fact; it might be an increase made to
    look like a loss. What is the cost to profit ratio?

    There are new practices in pricing. It used to be you could get the
    movie for around $14 on the opening week. Now they price the single
    disc version at that while selling the 2 disc version at "list"
    price. The opening prices these days seem to be up around $16 or $17,
    too.

    --
    Tim.

    "Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither
    liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

    "Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
    reputation. It is better to be alone than in bad company" - George
    Washington

    Tim V., Apr 13, 2006
  14. Allan

    Tim V. Guest

    I wouldn't trust the numbers from anyone supporting Hollywood. The
    numbers will get spun to report what they want to report.

    Tim V., Apr 13, 2006
  15. Allan

    Invid Fan Guest

    Same for those against Hollywood.