DVD rom installation query

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul Burdett, May 12, 2004.

  1. Paul Burdett

    Paul Burdett Guest

    HI all,
    In my endeavour to learn more about computers I am asking for some help to
    instal a DVD -Rom I have just purchased. It is a "JVC Lite-On IT". The
    instructions that came with it are fairly clear but I have some questions.
    Firstly my cd rom (D drive) has been playing up so I wish to remove it and
    replace it with the DVd rom.

    1. The instructions say: Set the jumper to Master device if your DVd rom is
    the only device which connects to secondary IDE port. Set the jumper to
    Slave device if your DVD rom will be connected to primary/Secondary IDE
    port.
    As I currently have drive "D" (CD Rom) and "E" CD Burner, I'm confused as to
    setting the jumper". Which do I choose?

    2. I assume the "jumper" is the little yellow plastic thing covering the
    little prongs. Is there a specific way of removing it...sorry if this is a
    basic question..does it just pull out with a pair of tweezers?

    2. The connection instructions are fairly clear as far as the E-IDE cable,
    sound cable and power cable are concerned, but is it really just a matter of
    unplugging the connections to my present CD Rom ("D" drive), removing the cd
    rom from the computer, slipping in the DVD Rom and connection the cables
    mentioned above to the DVD Rom?

    Thank you in advance for any help for this "novice" hardware man!
    Cheers,
    Paul

    Paul Burdett, May 12, 2004

  2. Paul Burdett

    Trent SC Guest

    In my endeavour to learn more about computers I am asking for some help to
    Set it to 'slave'.
    Don't worry, we all have to start somewhere. There is a special tool for
    removing these jumpers (yes, that is a jumper) and most people use
    needle-nosed pliers.
    Yes. The way a DVD and CD drive talks to the rest of your computer is, at
    this level, pretty much identical.

    Trent SC, May 12, 2004

  3. Paul Burdett

    Guest Guest

    So look at the master/slave setting of the CD rin drive and
    set the new drive the same. You can then put the new drive
    in place of the old.
    Just set it the way the old drive was set.
    See above.
    Use your teeth if you like!
    Yes provided the master/slave settings match.

    It can get complicated so it is worth thinking about what
    you are doing. But a one-for-one swap is almost always
    trouble free.

    Guest, May 12, 2004
  4. Paul Burdett

    Paul Burdett Guest

    Thanks Trent & Palindr?me. I have also found a pdf file on the net which
    shows exactly what to do, and your info is spot on. Here goes!
    Cheers,
    Paul

    Paul Burdett, May 12, 2004
  5. Paul Burdett

    Guest Guest

    <snip>
    I am sorry - I can't see how you could know to say that. The
    OP has two optical drives, D and E. Either could be set to
    master or slave and, if anything, you might expect the lower
    letter drive D ( the CDROM being replaced) to be set to
    master. I suggested setting it to the same as the drive
    being replaced as, IMO, it could be either.

    Guest, May 12, 2004
  6. Paul Burdett

    Paul Burdett Guest

    Hi again,
    Well, all went well...quite easy really. However, here is the next problem!
    The bundled software is PowerDVd XP4.
    It installed fine. Hitting the "play" button causes the following error
    message: " error code F4D41436. The TV out port of your display card is not
    working properly. this copy protected disc cannot be played when the tv out
    function is enabled"
    Well...a search on the net reveals others who have got this error message.
    it seems it has something to do with my graphics card...nvidea riva tnt m64,
    and something called "Macrovision"??
    Any ideas? or another (preferably free) software choice?
    Cheers,
    Paul

    Paul Burdett, May 12, 2004
  7. Paul Burdett

    Trent SC Guest

    In my endeavour to learn more about computers I am asking for some
    help
    A lot of pre-recorded DVDs have their own built-in viewing software which
    you can use for other DVDs. I use CyberLink's PowerDVD.
    If you're wedded to your software, your best bet is to follow the threads
    that you've already found and find solutions that others have applied.

    Trent SC, May 12, 2004
  8. Paul Burdett

    Paul Burdett Guest

    Hi: I am using Cyberlink's Power DVD.
    Paul

    Paul Burdett, May 12, 2004
  9. Paul Burdett

    Trent SC Guest

    Hi again,
    It sounds, then, as though your best bet is to go back to your earlier net
    search and follow through those threads.

    Trent SC, May 12, 2004