DVD-R Not Recognized by HP DVD Writer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by James, Nov 4, 2007.

  1. James

    James Guest

    I have a DVD Writer 740b internal DVD-R/RW drive. The technical specs
    say it reads and writes DVD+R and DVD-R discs. Mine, however, only
    recognizes DVD+R. I am running a Gateway desktop, 1 Gig RAM, XP Pro.

    When a DVD-R disc is inserted, various burning software packages (Nero
    and Fireburner among others) all report that no disc is in the drive.
    The LED flashes about 14 times after I put the disc in. There are no
    errors in the Hardware System section of the control panel. Nero
    Tools says the drive is empty when the disc is in. The drive works
    well for read-only DVDs (like movies), DVD+R, and CD-R/W discs.

    I have updated to the latest firmware and uninstalled the drive and
    then reinstalled it, with any success. There is nothing on this that I
    can find in Google or the HP website. I emailed HP Tech Support for
    help a month ago and again yesterday and have not yet gotten anything
    back except the automated reply that they received the email.

    Has the drive failed? Is there something I can do? Thanks.

    James

    James, Nov 4, 2007

  2. James

    Fred Guest

    James wrote:
    Try a different brand, like Ritek/Ridata, Verbatim DataLifePlus
    or Taiyo Yuden.

    Fred, Nov 4, 2007

  3. James

    JANA Guest

    Sometimes when the laser starts to weak, the drive can start to become
    critical. You can try a different brand of disks, but in the end, I think
    you will be changing the drive.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Nov 4, 2007
  4. James

    Tony Guest

    You've got the worst of all worlds.
    Hewlett Packard = HP = Horse Piss
    Gateway = Shit
    You've got shit and horsepiss mixed together. I should say something is
    wrong. Wrong from the very beginning.

    Tony, Nov 4, 2007
  5. James

    nobody > Guest

    nobody >, Nov 4, 2007
  6. James

    Bigbri Guest

    Try a different brand, like Ritek/Ridata, Verbatim DataLifePlus
    or Taiyo Yuden.

    I agree usual problem is often make of disc

    Bigbri, Nov 4, 2007
  7. James

    James Guest

    Thanks to all for your advice.

    JANA, today the drive would only read file folder names, not any data
    within the folders. So I went out and bought another drive which
    works on all types of DVD disks.

    And to you, Tony, a special sarcastic thank you since your answers
    were sooo helpful. The new drive is by LG, but the computer is the
    same.

    James

    James, Nov 4, 2007
  8. James