DVD-R & DVD-RW & DVD+R & DVD+RW DVD-WTF

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nozza, Dec 1, 2004.

  1. Nozza

    Nozza Guest

    I'm thinking of ordering a PC with a DVD+/-RW drive

    I look on Amazon, and I see various formats of discs I can buy such as

    DVD-R & DVD-RW
    DVD+R & DVD+RW

    Which should I use?

    I am not that interested in the re-writable function - I simply want
    to be able to burn a DVD and then watch it and keep it, I am not
    bothered about recording over the disk.

    Pros and cons of each format - performance/price considerations etc.
    appreciated.

    Additionally - I backup my PC on CDROM and take a copy to work. CDRoms
    are so cheap I don't use re-writable. Could I backup on to DVD - and
    have the same benefits - but just with the extra storage?

    Thanks

    Noz

    Nozza, Dec 1, 2004

  2. [email protected], Dec 1, 2004

  3. Nozza

    Tony Guest

    Main thing is what format will your DVD player support? There is no
    difference in the quality as far as I can tell. You can burn to DVD same as
    CD but again you will have to check that the PC you are playing DVD on
    supports the disc format.

    Tony, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Do you think you are not that interested in the re writable function
    you simply want to be able to burn a dvd and then watch it and keep
    it? Do you think you are not bothered about recording over the disk?
    Are you asking if you do not use re writable?
    Will have a look at the quote in my headers Kali, when I first read it
    in Greek mythology, I was astounded that someone pre field of
    psychology was asking people to reflect on themselves and I find it
    an important reminder N ot only to myself but to others to take the
    time to research this brotherhood and expose it to your members, and
    community?

    Lady Chatterly, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Nozza

    Valverdez Guest

    For backing up data onto a DVD there is no difference in what you use, DVD
    +R / -R / +-RW, don't matter as long as your burner supports the format
    you're fine. As for copying DVD movies, it's not a straight drag and drop
    or copy DVD, Production DVD's have anti copy built in, you have to decrypt
    the files and use compression to fit the the movie onto a standard 4.7 G
    DVD... That is another story, but just so you know, most set top DVD
    players support DVD -R formats so I would suggest doing most of your movie
    backups onto that format. If you are unsure, check out the format
    compatibility chart for your set top DVD player, it will tell you what it is
    capable of playing and use that as a base line for your DVD burner. When
    you are ready to start burning movie DVD (rentals or purchased from your
    local k-mart) then post again here, some one, (me maybe) will give you
    pointers.

    Ciao !

    Valverde

    Valverdez, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Nozza

    Nozza Guest

    On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:26:43 +0000, Nozza

    Thanks for the replies - pointers and info were really helpful.

    Rgds

    Noz

    Nozza, Dec 2, 2004