DVD-R conversions on my laptop

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by darragh, Apr 30, 2005.

  1. darragh

    darragh Guest

    Hi,

    Newbie here, apologies if this is a stoopid question .....

    I've got a laptop that I watch DVDs on when I'm travelling. I just got
    a DVDRW/VCR combo (an AKAI CBR-5800Di) delivered yesterday, and have
    copied one of my favourite VHS tapes onto a DVD-R disc. It works fine
    on the combo player, but when I put it into the laptop it seems to
    think its an empty disc. Right clicking for properties reveals that
    its knows that the disc is full, but suggests it still seems to think
    that there are no files on it.

    Can anyone suggest something I can do (either when copying or to play
    the result on the laptop)?

    Thanks,

    Darragh

    darragh, Apr 30, 2005

  2. darragh

    C.J.Patten Guest

    Silly question: you're *certain* it's a DVD-combo drive in the computer and
    not just a CD-burner?

    I had similar symptoms when I bought my notebook. Turned out to be a bad DVD
    drive.
    My system would burn and read DVD+R's but be unable to read DVD-R's that
    were already burnt. (it reported the disc as a DVD-ROM disc when it was in
    fact a DVD-Video)

    Took it back to the store and they just swapped the drive with one from a
    floor model that worked.

    What's the computer and DVD drive model?

    You might consider looking for a firmware update for the drive. Also, run
    Windows Update and any brand-specific updating program that came with your
    notebook.
    My HP updater *actually found updates* not detected by Windows
    Update...which I was shocked about but they improved stability and
    performance of certain things.

    Good luck and let us know how you make out.

    C.

    C.J.Patten, Apr 30, 2005

  3. darragh

    darragh Guest

    sorry, I wasnt clear enough. The combo isn't internal, its a
    player/recorder that plugs into the TV. I got it because i've just 1
    SCART into the TV and had to keep plugging and unplugging the DVD and
    VCR depending on which I wanted to use. I was hoping to also transfer
    my VHS collection onto DVD, but that's looking less likely now as a
    result of my difficulties.

    Darragh

    darragh, May 1, 2005
  4. You did "finalize" the disc you burned, didn't you?

    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, May 1, 2005
  5. darragh

    Large Farva Guest

    It's possible that player does not support DVD-R.

    Large Farva, May 1, 2005
  6. darragh

    darragh Guest

    very possibly not, as I don;t know what that means!

    I just followed the instructions in the manual, the last of which is
    "To stop copying, press the stop button to end recording". The combo
    takes a minute or 2 to finish writing then, but I don't know if its
    been 'finalised' (I presume that means converted to DVD as opposed to
    DVDRW format, although my laptop can burn DVDs so I'd have thought it
    should be able to play either?)

    How would people usually finalise a disc with a combo drive (this
    things remote has a zillion buttons on it...)?

    Darragh

    darragh, May 1, 2005
  7. My standalone recorder tells me something like "finalize the disc to
    make it compatible with DVD players" when I finish recording.... but
    then thats for a DVD+R, I haven't used RW DVDs. There's a button on my
    remote labeled "Tools" and one of the options under the Tools menu is
    to finalize the disc. If yours has no such option, I guess either it
    finalizes it automatically, or you don't need to do it. On my
    recorder, if I don't finalize it, I can still play it on that
    recorder, and add more to the disc later, until I do finalize it. Once
    finalized, I can't add anything else to that disc.
    Charlie Hoffpauir

    Charlie Hoffpauir, May 1, 2005
  8. darragh

    Large Farva Guest

    That means..perhaps no matter what you do, the player simply will not
    recognize the media as it does not have that functionality built in. Not all
    players will read them.

    Large Farva, May 1, 2005
  9. darragh

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    There should be an option in one of the menus, possibly Edit, to
    finalize your DVDs. Check your manual.

    Oldus Fartus, May 2, 2005