    decisions to
    take control of their online sales.

    ----------------

    misirens, Oct 15, 2006

  2. misirens

    Citizen Bob Guest

    The only way to make money on eBay is to sell "As Is" with a reserve
    high enough to make a profit. It's the bloody returns that kill you.

    --

    Govt is an insult to human dignity. With or without govt,
    you would have good people doing good things and evil

    Citizen Bob, Oct 15, 2006

  3. misirens

    JoeBloe Guest

    You're an idiot, Boob.

    JoeBloe, Oct 15, 2006
  4. I've been waiting for them to start going broke. Everybody and their dog
    thinks they'll make their fortune on ebay without any effort at all.

    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 15, 2006
  5. misirens

    Citizen Bob Guest

    It is you who is the idiot.

    Citizen Bob, Oct 16, 2006
  6. misirens

    gojody Guest

    Over the last few weeks I've bought 5 DVDs. On average, I paid
    about $1.00 more per DVD than what I could have bought them for
    on eBay.

    Well worth the extra buck, so I don't have that sour feeling from
    buying off eBay.

    Ebay sh!ts all over everyone, refers to sellers as "grandmas selling
    junk", and everyone acts like eBay is doing you a favor.

    No more. As sure as AOL declined to the status of just another
    website, so will eBay.

    gojody, Oct 22, 2006
  7. Actually, AOL being "just another website" would be a status
    improvement.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Oct 23, 2006
  8. misirens

    anthony Guest

    Ebay is still great for the casual buyer/seller. I've made about 120
    trades over the past couple of years, an even number of buying and
    selling transactions. Still never been ripped off, and never had any
    complaints. It's not a business .. for me it's a handy way to track
    down hard-to-find out of print CDs and DVDs, and sell stuff I don't
    need any longer.

    anthony, Oct 28, 2006
  9. misirens

    west488 Guest

    Ebay is total sh!t. It cost pennies to host an auction and sellers
    are paying hundreds of dollars per month to list. Hard to believe
    people are stupid enough to keep listing with them.

    west488, Oct 29, 2006
  10. misirens

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Insertion Fees
    $0.01 – $0.99 $0.20
    $1.00 – $9.99 $0.35
    $10.00 – $24.99 $0.60
    $25.00 – $49.99 $1.20
    $50.00 – $199.99 $2.40
    $200.00 – $499.99 $3.60
    $500.00 or more $4.80

    If someone is paying "hundreds of dollars per month to list" they are
    listing many items.

    Closing Price Final Value Fee
    Item not sold No Fee
    $0.01 – $25.00 5.25% of the closing value
    $25.01 – $1,000.00 5.25% of the initial $25.00 ($1.31), plus 3.00% of
    the remaining closing value balance ($25.01 to $1,000.00)
    Equal to or Over $1000.01 5.25% of the initial $25.00 ($1.31), plus
    3.00% of the initial $25.01 - $1,000.00 ($29.25), plus 1.50% of the
    remaining closing value balance ($1000.01 - closing value)

    Pretty cheap compared to "live" auctions.

    Oldus Fartus, Oct 29, 2006
  11. misirens

    west488 Guest

    eBay isn't a "live" auction. They are a web host with servers.
    The typical webhost charges $7.95/month for 50 GB of storage.
    Ebay's charges about $125,000.00 for 50 gigs of storage.

    Why?....Sellers are stupid enough to pay it. Like the dipsh!t DVD
    seller who
    went broke.

    west488, Oct 29, 2006
  12. wrote in @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:
    Just because someone owns web servers doesn't mean they're in
    the web hosting business. That's just one of their assets.
    To use an analogy, it's like saying a gardener and a construction
    worker should be paid the same, because they both use shovels. eBay's
    business is in matching buyers with sellers. That's what the listing
    fees really amount to. If you go broke on eBay, it's because you're
    either greedy or stupid.

    Didn't you do this same rant a year or so ago?

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Oct 29, 2006
  13. misirens

    Richard C. Guest

    =============================
    Why does making money piss you off so much?

    Richard C., Oct 29, 2006
  14. misirens

    Sam Lowry Guest

    I personally would prefer their prices to be lower, but I will continue
    to list with them because they have the most buyers looking for stuff to
    buy.

    It's exactly the same as High Street shops having to pay higher business
    rates than those in little back streets because more people will walk up
    and down the main street the shops pay for the likely hood of more sales.

    I still make a good profit from eBay and it's the profit that counts not
    the bills.

    -SL

    Sam Lowry, Oct 29, 2006
  15. misirens

    misirens Guest

    ------------
    "Ebay is getting to be like an MLM

    MLM = Multi-Level Marketing. Examples are Amway, Vector Marketing and
    Herbalife. None of those companies make money off of selling actual
    products. They make money off of recruiting people to [allegedly]
    resell their products.

    These "independent salespeople" must first purchase the products from
    Amway etc., and then try to push them on others. Almost none of them
    ever make their original "investment" back, let alone sell any of those
    crap products.

    Ebay is getting to be very similiar to these companies in that Ebay is
    moving toward not making money off of products being sold, but off of
    "independent sellers" paying fees in the HOPE of selling products.

    And just like notorious MLM'ers, Ebay runs infomercials and holds
    scam-inars.

    Way to go, Ebay! And way to go to anyone stupid or naive enough to
    support this ultra-corrupt company."

    ------------
    "No, Ebay is not an actual MLM. If Ebay were an actual MLM, it would
    order us to recruit other sellers and promise a commission for every
    target recruited.

    But, Ebay is beginning to resemble an MLM in that Ebay is, I theorize,
    no longer earning the bulk of its money off of completed transactions
    (FVF's), but off fees for listing products ."

    In the meantime, Ebay aggressively markets itself as a classic "get
    rich quick" scheme via infomercials and scam-inars set up to recruit
    new sellers. They are promised an opportunity to build a bona fide
    business, but that opportunity is not there. They'll simply end up
    paying Ebay fees to list products that will never sell...Not
    necessarily because the products themselves are junk, but due to the
    myriad of technical problems on the site that Ebay refuses to fix, such
    as problems with search and BIN's, and the fact that Ebay's Stores
    product's listings are, by their own words, "disadvantaged" both on
    Ebay.com and Express.

    Then there's the matter of buyers fleeing Ebay in droves, for a
    multitude of reasons that include rampant fraud.

    So no, Ebay's modus operandi is not exactly like that of Herbalife et.
    al., but comparisons can be drawn. Ebay doesn't need to make money off
    of people coming to this site and buying - that is not, I believe,
    Ebay's intent. I believe their intent is to make money off of sellers
    listing products, not off people buying them. "

    -------------
    "MLM's true constituency is not the consuming public but hopeful
    investors.

    I'm not sure if Ebay is there yet, but that is where it's headed: The
    goal is not to make money off of consumers (buyers) purchasing
    products, but off of sellers paying to list them.

    My theory would explain why Ebay cares not about the problems with
    search or buyers getting kicked out when they click BIN. They don't
    care if transactions get completed, because they feel they can make A
    LOT MORE off hawking false hope to sellers."

    --------------
    "I see eBay as a Pavlovian science experiment. We are conditioned to go
    to eBay to make money because that is what we did before. We once made
    good money, with much lower fees and even though there have been many
    changes, we still go there looking for the money. eBay knows this and
    that is why there is so little reward for us now.

    I can see OP's point. We are recruited, in a way, to keep investing in
    the "eBay" marketplace because we "have an opportunity" to make some
    money. But, the only one really making the money is eBay and the
    scammers.

    Ebay is getting to be very similiar to these companies in that Ebay is
    moving toward not making money off of products being sold, but off of
    "independent sellers" paying fees in the HOPE of selling products.

    I agree 100%."

    -------------
    "This has been escalating for the past 5 years. Ebay makes the majority
    of their money off listing fees, not ending value.

    Ebay's overall sale rate is around 40% and that does not include non
    paying bidders / sellers not getting paid.

    Ebay WANTS buyers because that is the only reason the sellers will
    stay...but ebay knows who pays."

    -------------
    "Ebay makes billions off UNSOLD items. Ebay is a joke"

    -------------
    "The MLM is not a correct way to describe ebay but they are going after
    the same people as customers.

    The way it is going around here only a sucker would plan staying here
    very long. I'm now moving into stage 3 of my liquidation plan. 1 week
    listings and if it doesn't sell I am disposing those items."

    -------------

    misirens, Oct 31, 2006
  16. misirens

    misirens Guest

    -----------
    "In the good old days, Ebay was such a powerhouse you could put stuff
    up and it would actually sell-Make a profit and do it all over again.

    Those days are gone...The only way to make REAL money here is to use
    Ebay as an advertising vehicle...Or just plain do One shot deals-Rip
    buyers off with scams and ridiculous shipping fees. One of the reasons
    ebay is going down...down.

    It's Evolution and the smartest will survive. EBay will become the
    classified section of the web soon If they do not have some sort of
    screening of sellers offers as to what is being hawked here."

    misirens, Oct 31, 2006
  17. Interesting. So, what products are people buying from eBay in the
    hopes of reselling?
    Right, because in the past, eBay had a huge inventory of products that
    it profited from. This whole "internet auction" thing is a new gimmick
    they're trying.
    True, eBay only makes six or seven sales per day.

    Oh yeah, you'll also find that both companies are based in the US,
    both have websites, and both have CEOs that are carbon-based life
    forms. Holy shit!
    So those Final Value fees are... what, exactly?

    Yeah, people with money. Gee, why would you want THOSE types for
    customers?

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Oct 31, 2006
  18. misirens

    gojody Guest

    What the f#@& are you babbling about ?

    gojody, Oct 31, 2006
  19. misirens

    Richard C. Guest

    ====================================
    Huh????

    eBay has never been anything but an auction.

    Richard C., Nov 3, 2006
  20. misirens

    Citizen Bob Guest

    Not true. Sellers can offer products for a fixed price for immediate
    sale. It's called "Buy Now".

    You might want to visit eBay sometime and find out what is really
    going on.

    --

    "First and last, it's a question of money. Those men who own the earth
    make the laws to protect what they have. They fix up a sort of fence or

    Citizen Bob, Nov 3, 2006