    shumway Guest

    Any recommendations for dvd players that do not break after a year? The
    last 3 I have had, start saying "no disc" after about a year.

    shumway, Oct 4, 2005

  2. shumway

    spockfu Guest

    What brands were they? My $40 Norcent DP300 still works great after 3
    years,so does xbox.

    spockfu, Oct 5, 2005

  3. I have a Yamaha S1200 I bought the week they
    hit the stores, about 4-5 years ago as I
    recall, and it still plays like a champ.

    drc :)

    Darrel Christenson, Oct 5, 2005
  4. shumway

    Darth Tater Guest

    I've got a couple of Panasonics that are at least 5 years old and still
    going strong.

    Darth Tater, Oct 5, 2005
  5. My Panasonic A100 is over 8 years old, now, and still going strong!

    BB

    Comcast Newsgroup, Oct 5, 2005
  6. Denon 2900, 2 years of hard service (used for DVD's, DVD-A's and
    SACD's), still running like a champ. I chose it after having similar
    issues as you descibe with 3 cheap players. It was expensive, but
    built like a tank (18 pounds!). When the format war over the HD disc
    format is worked out satisfactorly, I'll buy another Denon. Great
    stuff.

    -beaumon

    lorincantrell, Oct 7, 2005
  7. shumway

    campu2.net Guest

    The first 2 DVD players I purchased in the $300 to $350 range, both
    broke down in less than a year.

    I have a $59 APEX that's been going strong for over 3 years.

    I plan on sticking with the cheap players $50 to $60 found at Wal-Mart.
    If they last a year, I believe they are well worth the money spent.
    Any time over a year is a bonus.

    Best Forums & Sites
    http://campu2.net

    campu2.net, Oct 7, 2005
  8. shumway

    JMC Guest

    I have a cheapy Apex that is still going strong after 5 years. And it
    will read *anything*, even badly scratched rental discs that my Toshiba
    and DVD-RW drive could not read. And it will read any type of DVD+R,
    even the no-name stuff. My Toshiba on the other hand would only read
    higher-quality DVD+Rs, and even then it would occassionally freeze and
    stutter here and there. Which is odd considering that the old Apex was
    built before DVD+R was even an accepted format, I'm sure. The Toshiba is
    now dead, after just under two years of use. I used to associate the
    Toshiba brand name with high-quality, but now I don't know.

    JMC, Oct 8, 2005
  9. shumway

    dubbah Guest

    Any time over a year is a bonus? I don't think so, it depends upon
    the brand and how much it is used. My Phillips (Magnavox) player I
    bought at Target for $59. saw its video lens die a few months ago when
    I must have left it playing for hours without shutting it off before
    going out of the house. It would have cost me $39. for a new lens, I
    decided to just use it for music cds as long as it will serve that
    purpose. My $99. Sony I bought at Wal-Mart works well and I use it with
    respect. The Sony was bought before the Phillips, too.

    It's interesting to hear if lower brands work okay, though I think a
    good name brand makes the difference, anyway. Target would never cover
    my damaged lens because it was past warranty anyway.

    dubbah, Oct 8, 2005
  10. It's been my experience that with DVD at least, the most satisfaction
    is derived from very high end players and very low end players. I've
    had great experiences with both. It's the mid-level players where they
    sucker people in with a brand name. I've had terrible luck with 3
    players of that ilk. Never again. Wal-Mart off-brand cheapie or Denon
    tank for me. Nothing else.

    -beaumon

    lorincantrell, Oct 8, 2005
  11. shumway

    Large Farva Guest

    I've actually had more trouble from Denon players than anything else. They
    don't even make their own players.

    Large Farva, Oct 8, 2005
  12. shumway

    campu2.net Guest

    Regardless of the brand, $59 DVD players lasting 1 to 3+ years are
    probably the best value in the history of consumer electronics.

    I'm usually slow to jump on the latest audio/video equipment because
    of the inflated prices. The one exception was my first VCR. $900+ and
    it was dead within a year. I spent the next 12 to 15 years going
    through
    VCRs as fast as I go through socks. It took many years for VCRs to come
    down to $500, then $300, and now $100.

    Now its $59 DVD players and $5 DVDs available on eBay etc. which you
    can turn around and sell for $5 when you are tired of them. Movie fans
    have never had it so good.

    campu2.net, Oct 10, 2005
  13. shumway

    shumway Guest

    Partially true. I will agree that $59 is not much considering the
    complexity of a dvd player. I cannot, however, think of any home
    electronics/appliance that has close to that short of a lifespan.

    It seems from the comments here that my experiences are not that unusual.
    It seems that a few posters have had good luck with Panasonic (good to here
    since I bought a panasonic DVD recorder about 4 months ago). I will
    probably go with a panasonic DVD player.

    shumway, Oct 10, 2005
  14. shumway

    Jeff Rife Guest

    campu2.net () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    In 1988, I spent nearly $400 on a VCR even though you could find them at
    any store for around $200. It was money well spent, since I retired the
    unit in 2003 not because it was broken, but because I wanted an S-VHS unit.

    Jeff Rife, Oct 10, 2005
  15. shumway

    campu2.net Guest

    Just returned from Wal-Mart where I saw their Cyberhome DVD players
    for $36
    I don't know anyone that owns one, but at that price I could pick up
    a half dozen and would probably be set for years.

    Best Forums & Sites
    http://campu2.net

    campu2.net, Oct 11, 2005
  16. shumway

    dubbah Guest

    campu2.net wrote:

    Saw those Cyberhome players at Target. Was told by a clerk
    there have been returns. You get what you pay for.

    Buy a Sony.

    dubbah, Oct 13, 2005
  17. -- --

    This is a spammer and he is going to LOSE the Domain Campu2.Net

    /* Campu2: Your a$S is Gra$$ for spamming UseNet */

    Go Daddy Spam Policy
    http://documents.secureserver.net/show/document.aspx?plvid=1&name=SPAM_POLICY

    How We Define Spam
    We define spam as the sending of Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE), Unsolicited Bulk Email
    (UBE) or Unsolicited Facsimilies (Fax), which is email or facsmilie sent to recipients as an
    advertisement or otherwise, without first obtaining prior confirmed consent to receive these
    communications from the sender. This can include, but is not limited to, the following:

    1. Email Messages

    2. *Newsgroup postings *

    3. Windows system messages
    4. Pop-up messages (aka "adware" or "spyware" messages)
    5. Instant messages (using AOL, MSN, Yahoo or other instant messenger programs)
    6. Online chat room advertisements
    7. Guestbook or Website Forum postings [lli] Facsimilie Solicitaions

    -- --

    Sami Marksman, Oct 13, 2005
  18. shumway

    campu2.net Guest

    Apex players are/were the same way. I've read about a lot of them
    "dead on arrival" purchased brand new. Still the APEX AD1500 is the
    longest lasting DVD player I've owned.

    I have a Sony VCR which took 3 returns and exchanges at Wal-Mart.
    The first two were running very hot. You could smell the overheating
    and the tapes were comming out of the player were hot.

    No problem with Wal-Mart. They let you exchange bad players until you
    get one you're happy with. No restocking fees.

    campu2.net, Oct 14, 2005
  19. shumway

    Black Locust Guest

    I've read so many mixed things about Apex over the years that I'm not
    sure what to make of them, but I've steered clear of them anyway. Any
    player that's $40 or less just scares me. They've GOT to be cutting
    corners somewhere to sell the unit at that price.
    I purchased a Sony SLV-N60 about 5 years ago and it's still going
    strong. But I've no idea what more recent Sony VCR's are like. As far as
    I can tell, it's nearly impossible to find a VCR these days that's
    anything but a total POS. It seems that electronics manufactures are
    deliberately building these units to break within 6 months or are being
    forced to use the cheapest parts available because no one will pay more
    than $30 for a VCR now.

    Black Locust, Oct 15, 2005
  20. shumway

    elrous0 Guest

    This has been a problem since cheap players (<$100) became the norm.
    Even name brands fail now. I have an original Toshiba 2006 ($500) that
    still works after 8 years. I have a Toshiba 2109 ($250) that still
    works after 5 years. The last two Toshibas I bought (both about $80 in
    2003) both failed after about a year.

    The best answer I can give is to not buy a cheap player. The more it
    costs, the better it's built. I'll never buy another sub-$100 player
    again. Unforunately, there isn't much selection available in the
    $150-$300 range for just a general player (most in this range are
    either cheap DVD-recorders or multi-disc players that are prone to
    mechanical failures).

    -Eric

    elrous0, Oct 17, 2005