    allowed you to copy macrovision-protected dvds? (I seem to recall that
    Pinnacle offered such a program, but then withdrew it.) Can anyone tell
    me the name and version of that - or similar products? Thanks!

    robert gray, Nov 6, 2003

  2. robert gray

    Zie Biird Guest

    Yea, that would be great huh? You just copy them, make your profit and not have any of that annoying hassle
    involved in beating the system! What a guy!

    The SpeedByrd :>

    Zie Biird, Nov 6, 2003

  3. It's not Retail, but free. The best ripper is DVDdecrypter followed
    closely by SmartRipper. Both are available at http://www.doom9.org.
    One approach is to use "IFO" mode in DVDdecypter and copy the entire
    DVD to the Hard Drive, then open that as a Virtual Drive using
    Daemon-Tools
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/daemon_tools.cfm
    then load that in the Software DVD player.

    This is useful if for instance you have to take a rental disc back
    before you'fe had time to watch it, you save the whole DVD for later
    viewing.

    . Good Luck!

    . Steve ..

    Steve(JazzHunter), Nov 6, 2003
  4. robert gray

    Big Toe Guest

    You must be a politician.

    Big Toe, Nov 7, 2003
  5. robert gray

    Max Volume Guest

    No, he's an unrepentant troll who keeps changing his alias so we
    continue to be subjected to his bullshit even after we've successfully
    plonked his other half-dozen identities. Do not feed the trolls.

    Uh, but that said. I agree with him -- in principle.

    Max Volume, Nov 7, 2003
  6. robert gray

    Speedbyyrd Guest

    I resemble that remark! That's dirty pool and totally unfair! I've been called a lot of things... even
    FRENCH! But never a politician! You swine dog!

    'Oh, Great Brother of the Dark...
    Who rideth on the hot winds of Hell....
    I bid you, appear before me now!

    The SpeedByrd :>

    Speedbyyrd, Nov 7, 2003
  7. robert gray

    CAM Guest

    dvd2one
    www.dvd2one.com

    dvd shrink
    www.dvdshrink.org

    dvd decrypter
    www.dvddecrypter.com

    Use dvd decrypter then either dvd2one which I prefer over dvdshrink.
    Then burn back using the latest nero patch of v5.5 or v6.
    Both these latest patches can be downloaded from this site.
    www.dvdrwhelp.com

    CAM, Nov 7, 2003
  8. robert gray

    Speedbyyrd Guest

    Another piracy advocate!

    Speedbyyrd, Nov 7, 2003
  9. robert gray

    CAM Guest

    Bzzzzzzt wrong.

    I buy all my original dvd's and software is all originals with the
    licenses. I have had dvd rot which is a problem and scratched discs
    which is a even bigger problems especially when you have ankle biters
    that like to play with the discs or teenagers that leave the media out
    of its case.

    I backup all my originals which is my right and not illegal in this
    country to do just that. It is illegal to rent and make copies or to
    sell copies but not to make backups of my originals, well not in
    Australia in any case. Perfectly legal to do this. Not one person has
    ever been prosacuted in Australia for making backups. How do I know
    this well its all in the Aus pc user mag for November. It even has dvd
    decrypter, dvd shrink and many other ripping programs on the two cover
    cd's. If this was illegal in this country then Aus pc user magazine
    would be in hot wter for publishing this.

    CAM, Nov 7, 2003
  10. robert gray

    Mike Davis Guest

    Robert,
    I'll bet you're talking about DVD X Copy by 321 Studios. The program is
    simple with a point and click interface, plus it _works_. I recommend the
    Platinum version which contains other versions such as X Copy Express (even
    simpler to use,) as well as DVD X Rescue that pulls data from damaged discs.
    I use these programs and love them, plus they work without the hassle of
    using multiple freeware type products. Easily worth the hundred buck
    purchase price.
    Here's the link to the site;
    http://www.321studios.com/
    And here's the link to the Platinum version;
    http://www.dvdxcopy.com/platinum.asp
    Enjoy, all the best, Mike

    Mike Davis, Nov 8, 2003
  11. robert gray

    EHPorter Guest

    The best known program is123 Studio's "Xcopy" and "Xcopy Xpress. It comes
    in an assortment of flavors, and is available at retail outlets such as
    CompUSA. It works well, and offers one click convenience. 123 Studios has
    a web site if you need more info.

    If you wish to spend less money, or are more technically inclined, there are
    a number of freeware DVD rippers out there. DVDdecrtyper is the best known.
    Other freeware programs will shrink or compress long DVDs to fit on a single
    disk (a standard commercial DVD is "dual layer," and with current "in-home"
    technology can only be burned completely using two disks). DVDShrink is
    such a program.

    EHPorter, Nov 9, 2003
  12. robert gray

    EHPorter Guest

    Well, it all depends on your definition of fair use.

    I rent DVDs and make copies (gasp). However, I generally use rewritable
    media, and I generally don't watch movies more than once. I make copies so
    that I can do things like (1) watch the movie on my computer on a long
    airline flight, or (2) "save it for later" if I don't get around to watching
    the whole movie the day I rent it, or, (3) allow me to make only one trip
    to the video store, and get (and copy) 3 or 4 movies at once (thus saving
    gas and time).

    But, once I've watched a movie, I generally erase the disk. I don't
    re-watch movies all that often. I don't have children that do. If I ever
    do want to re-watch the movie, it's easier to pay Blockbuster $3.50 for
    another copy than it is to spend the money and time it takes to retain
    copies of them on my own disks. If I really, really love a movie, and what
    to own a copy, it's easier to just buy on for $15 or so at Best Buy, and get
    it all on one, dual layer disk.

    You may disagree; I'd call that fair use. I pay once; I watch the movie
    once. I just watch it when, where and how I wish.

    EHPorter, Nov 9, 2003
  13. robert gray

    Speedybird Guest

    Well, what you 'wish' doesn't make it right.

    Guess it depends on how dishonest one is.

    Speedybird, Nov 9, 2003
  14. robert gray

    EHPorter Guest

    More correctly, you should say that the fact that something is "right" may
    or may not make it fall within the parameters of copyright law.

    As to it being "right" in the first place -- I pay once or each movie I
    watch, and I only watch movies for which I've paid.

    I have trouble viewing that as reflecting any sort of moral wrongness.
    Indeed, it would seem to be the definition of fair use.

    EHPorter, Nov 9, 2003
  15. robert gray

    Ron Guest

    Forget it, shitbyrd! You're not making a difference. Plonk!!

    Ron, Nov 9, 2003
  16. robert gray

    Ron Guest

    Ron, Nov 9, 2003