    which they both claimed they would. They have a bunch more of these on CNET
    but I thought it might be easier to see if someone knows of one that
    actually works.???

    Alex Clayton, Oct 1, 2007

  2. Alex Clayton

    sandy58 Guest

    You have recorded stuff from TV on a DVD recorder, Right? Or you WANT
    to record from TV to HDD? What are you using to record? DVD Recorder
    (as in under the TV type DVD recorder?) Roxi or Roxio? Full name of
    software, please Alex. And some more details on what you have and
    source.

    sandy58, Oct 2, 2007

  3. Alex Clayton

    Alex Clayton Guest

    Yes, recorded a show on a DVD recorder using DVD+RW discs. I can watch them
    on the PC, just wanted to be bale to copy them to hard drive to watch
    without the disc.

    Roxi creator LE Dell edition.

    I have since tried a few more from CNET, can't remember the names of them
    all. There seems to be and endless supply of them. I have come to the
    conclusion none of them work with MS, even though they all claimed they did.
    I noticed there were a few that did not offer a free trial, you just buy,
    and they claim they will refund if it does not work. I gave up. I can see it
    would most likely mean doing a charge back to get my money back. I am not
    going to buy a Mac, so I guess I will settle for watching off the disc and
    give up on the copying to hard drive. They work fine with WMP that way.

    I did some reading on Google and Yahoo, and there were lots of questions
    like this, with lots of idea's, and none worked for the people trying it. I
    have to guess MS has done something prevent this to try to keep people from
    doing this with movies. Damn shame. Many of the programs claimed they would
    copy protected stuff, which I did not want to do. I it looks like MS has
    just blocked everything to prevent this.

    Alex Clayton, Oct 2, 2007
  4. Alex Clayton

    sandy58 Guest

    Alex, all it takes to copy a DVD to hard drive is to make a folder to
    receive it, click on the dvd "Video_TS" file and "copy". As long as
    you have a DVD Player (software) installed in your PC the DVD will
    play.
    I use Blaze DVD Player
    Download it & crack (addon) below for full version.
    http://soft-best.net/en/detail/blazedvd_pro_5001/
    Good luck, Alex

    sandy58, Oct 4, 2007
  5. Alex Clayton

    Brian Guest

    Do you have a DVD burner in your computer?
    If so it should have come with burning software that will allow you to copy
    a rw disk to an image file. If not try a program called super dvd copy
    Roxio will do it with the full version, not sure if you can play the image
    file from your hdd though. Check E-Bay for an earlier version someone might
    be selling for a cheaper price

    Brian, Oct 4, 2007
  6. Alex Clayton

    Alex Clayton Guest

    The "problem" was not making the copy, it was viewing it after. I tried 5
    different programs that "claimed" they would work with the WMP. None of them
    would. They create a file that the MS player can not read. After what I have
    seen there is no way I would try buying one that would not let me try it
    first as I am starting to think MS has blocked this to keep people from
    copying Copy Righted stuff at least with their player. I gave up. Even if
    the full version of Roxi would work if I was going to pay $100.00 for it I
    would be better off to just go to Wal-Mart and buy another DVD recorder and
    use one to make copies. I gave up on it, but thanks anyway. I can watch the
    stuff off the discs when I want. That will have to do until they come up
    with a copy software that will only work with non copy righted stuff like
    mine. I'm sure they will sooner or later.

    Alex Clayton, Oct 4, 2007
  7. Alex Clayton

    Alex Clayton Guest

    Thanks but I have tried 5 different software programs that all claimed they
    would work with windows, and none would. They create files the WMP will not
    work with. It Looks like MS has done this intentionally to try to stop
    pirating of Copy righted material using their player. I can watch the stuff
    on the PC, so that will have to do for now. I'm done downloading stuff just
    to have to remove it when it does not work, and there is no way I would try
    one I had to buy up front without trying. I am sure it would lead to having
    to do a chargeback the way so many of these are out there, and none work. I
    love Ebay but there are a few things I would never touch on there. Software
    is one.

    Thanks anyway it was an "interesting" learning experience. <G>

    Alex Clayton, Oct 4, 2007
  8. Alex Clayton

    Neil Green Guest

    If it's not a stupid question, why do you feel
    compelled to use WMP?
    There are many mutimedia players around, some free,
    without the nags and limitations of WMP.
    Many of them are much better than WMP.
    Also, if you already have the videos on DVD+RW then
    there is no special software required to copy these to
    your hard drive.
    Windows explorer will do the job fine.

    Neil Green, Oct 4, 2007
  9. Alex Clayton

    Ish Guest

    Alex, This works for me, I just tried it since reading your post. Just
    copy the VOB files from the dvd to your hard drive and change them from
    VOB to MPG. They will play on WMP or any other MPG player like Power DVD,
    Nero show time, etc. These programs will play VOB files from you HDD too.
    Only works with non copy protected DVDs.

    To copy the VOB files, right click on the drive with the dvd in "my
    computer" and choose explore, then open the \VIDEO_TS folder, then
    highlight any or all VOB (VTS_01_1.VOB) files and copy it/them to a new
    folder on your HDD.

    Ish, Oct 4, 2007
  10. Alex Clayton

    Alex Clayton Guest

    Ok I put in a recorded DVD opened VIDEO_TS folder,

    This is what's there:

    VIDEO_TS VIDEO_TS VIDEO_TS.INFO VTS_01_0

    VTS_01_0.INFO VTS_01_1 VTS_01_2

    I copied all of these to another folder, if any of them are not needed I
    guess I can delete it? All this came from one DVD+RW with just one show
    recorded on it. How do I change them to MPG? After that do you just click
    one of them to play? A couple of these icons have the WMP icon, if I click
    them it opens the WMP but it says "the file has an extension (.BUP) not
    recognized by WMP.

    Alex Clayton, Oct 6, 2007
  11. Alex Clayton

    Alex Clayton Guest

    Every time I have tried stuff not MS recommended normally by people that
    have some ax to grind with Bill, it seems to me to just be a pain. So I just
    stick with what comes on the computer and normally it works. The WMP works
    great, playing from the DVD.

    As to copy, that's no problem, I can make all kinds of copies, they just
    will never play. It becomes a file the WMP can't use. That was what the
    software "claimed" it would do, none of the 5 I tried did, although they
    sure tried hard to get you to buy their "full version".

    Alex Clayton, Oct 6, 2007
  12. Alex Clayton

    Hal Clark Guest

    Looks like your not displaying file extensions. In "my computer" go to
    tools/view. and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"... Then
    click "Apply to all Folders" then click Ok.

    Go to "View" and click "Details". and you should see in the video_ts
    folder something like VIDEO_TS.BUP VIDEO_TS.IFO VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_01_1.VBO VTS_01_1.BUP VTS_01_1.IFO, etc all on seperate lines.
    On mine the VTS_01_1.VBO is the one with the video that you want to save.
    If you ckick it, it will probly open in WMP. To be save I would change the
    VOB to mpg and right click on the file and click open with, then choose
    the player you want to use from the list.

    Hal Clark, Oct 6, 2007
  13. Alex Clayton

    Alex Clayton Guest

    DAMN!!! It WORKS!! LOL

    Now why the hell did it have to be this hard? <G>

    You are right the file marked VTS_01_1.VBO opens the WMP and plays the
    stuff. There is also 6 other things there, very small files, can I just
    delete them? Are they anything? Just to see what would happen I tried
    copying just the VTS_01_1.VBO file to another folder, then it will open the
    player but nothing happens. Going back to the original folder it works fine.
    So I take it when I make a "copy" I have to move all 7 files together?
    Anyway at least it actually works now, thanks guys!! I had all but given up
    on this.

    Alex Clayton, Oct 6, 2007
  14. Alex Clayton

    Neil Green Guest

    Just use Windows Explorer.
    Create a folder on your drive under the name of the
    movie with a subfolder called video_ts.
    Copy everything from the video_ts folder on your DVD
    RW to the video_ts folder on your hard disk.
    To play the file from your hard disk you will need a
    DVD decoder installed, as Windows doesn't natively
    support DVD playback.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0072.mspx
    VLC (Free software) will play the DVD from your hard
    disk.
    No need to purchase anything.
    I have no axe to grind with Microsoft, but their
    preferred solution isn't always the best.

    Neil Green, Oct 7, 2007
  15. Alex Clayton

    Alex Clayton Guest

    Thanks but I got it now. With what Hal told me to do along with Ish, it
    actually plays from the HD. Was a PITA, but now that I can do it, it's a
    snap.

    Alex Clayton, Oct 7, 2007
  16. Alex Clayton

    Neil Green Guest

    Fair enough Alex, whatever you're comfortable with.
    For the record I use both IE and OE and find they both
    work very well.
    In general Microsoft software is well written and user
    friendly, but in some cases there is definately better
    software available.
    I don't use WMP at all, although my daughter's both do
    and they love it.
    I find that it's slower to load, has less support for
    a wide variety of formats and the DRM stuff built into
    it these days is a bitch.
    VLC for video, Winamp for audio is my preferred
    combination, but to each their own.

    Neil Green, Oct 7, 2007
  17. Alex Clayton

    Ish Guest

    The settings on you computer may be different than mine, but I have only
    copyed the VOB with the video I wanted to watch and it played just fine. I
    think what I would do is go back, make another folder and copy the vob
    files one at a time, open each file after each copy to see what happens.
    How many VOB files have you got? The one with the video you want will
    probably be the largest.

    By the way, if you do download Video lan player and install it you wont be
    sorry. Its a self extring Exe file, all you have to do is download it and
    click on the file and it installes for you. It's a great program. To play
    a vob just open VLC and drag and drop you movie to it from the containing
    folder

    http://www.videolan.org/

    Ish, Oct 8, 2007
  18. Alex Clayton

    Alex Clayton Guest

    Ok sounds great. Before I came to work today I was playing around with it a
    little making some copies of stuff I wanted and it was working fine just
    setting a folder for each show. Tomorrow when I get home I will do some
    practice with it on my laptop.
    Thanks again, I had looked at several places on the net and found all kinds
    of different idea's but this was the first one that actually worked. I will
    download the player on this old machine and give it a try.
    Thanks again!!!!

    Alex Clayton, Oct 8, 2007