DVD Authoring Program

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by John, Oct 30, 2005.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi. I am just wondering if anyone knows of any new DVD Authoring
    programs that I could try?

    So far I have tried the following:

    Nero 6 (Nero Vision Express)
    Good but very slow (re-encodes everything unnecessarily)

    TMPGEnc DVD
    Couldn't get this to work very well on my system. Lots of conflicts.
    Was a fast program to use but limited features.

    DVD Lab
    Find it difficult to edit the video with this program unlike with Nero
    and TMPGEnc DVD. If I have video of a Television program and want to
    delete the beginning, end and ad breaks, it is very difficult if not
    impossible to do.

    There are a few others I have tried but I forgot what they were. If
    anyone can suggest any other programs and new ones on the market I
    haven't yet tried I'd appreciate it. I may have to make do with
    <sigh>Nero</sigh> re-encoding everything for several hours until I
    find that long awaited decent authoring program.

    Cheers

    John

    John, Oct 30, 2005

  2. John

    billh Guest

    I am not a serious DVD creator but I bought a capture card for my PC to
    record TV programs. I thought it was a good way to get rid of the VCR
    without buying a standalone DVD recorder. I don't think it was the brightest
    idea I ever had but that's what I did.

    For editing TV programs and removing commercials VideoReDo Plus is
    fantastic.

    I had a copy of Ulead Movie Factory 3 (SE?) that came with some hardware.
    Found it easy to use to make a simple DVD. If you want to really jazz up
    your DVDs you would probably want something better. Ulead would edit the
    video to cut a commercial but I found getting the cut in right place to be
    tedious compared to VideoReDo.

    I now have a DVD player that understands fast-forwarding through mpeg2 files
    so now I just burn my capture onto a DVDRW and don't bother editing
    commercials or making a DVD unless I have captured something like a movie or
    documentary I want to keep.

    Billh

    billh, Oct 30, 2005

  3. John

    Andy Guest

    I find Womble MPEG Video Wizard very good.
    Andy

    Andy, Oct 30, 2005
  4. John

    seascape Guest

    I like Sony's DVD Architect 3.0c. TMPGEnc DVD I have heard is a bit
    complex to figure out, DVD Lab I think is on the expensive side, Nero is
    pretty decent for a quickie throw together project.

    seascape, Oct 30, 2005
  5. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Going by your list and comments, I would you use
    www.VideoReDo.com to do the simple cuts & joins
    then feed the results to DVD Lab. DVD Lab is more
    complex than my favorite TDA, but it is almost as good
    as the $1500 Sonic Scenarist (SE) (The regular version
    of Scenarist is over $10,000) DVD Lab Pro is ~$200

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Oct 30, 2005
  6. John

    Bob Guest

    You can do sizing and joins with DVD Shrink. It will create hidden
    titles and preserve the chapter structure of the original. No menus so
    you will have to use the Go To feature on your player. But that's easy
    enough.

    Most of those authoring programs screw things up. For example, Ulead
    Movie Factory 4 screws up the audio sync (and VideoReDo is not able to
    fix it), it does not preserve subtitles, etc.

    These are still pioneering times for DVD. It's going to take a while
    longer to get things working properly.

    Bob, Oct 30, 2005
  7. John

    Bob Guest

    Won't you lose subtitles doing that?

    Bob, Oct 30, 2005
  8. John

    P Pron Guest

    seascape wrote:
    ||| Andy
    ||| ||||

    || I like Sony's DVD Architect 3.0c. TMPGEnc DVD I have heard is a bit
    || complex to figure out, DVD Lab I think is on the expensive side,
    || Nero is pretty decent for a quickie throw together project.

    I can't imagine that anyone capable of turning a light on and off could find
    TMPGenc DVD Author complex to figure out! It was the first authoring program
    I ever used, and I don't think I've had to look at the instructions yet....
    Seems to me that it is completely transparent in the way that it works.

    paul

    P Pron, Oct 30, 2005
  9. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    You snipped my one paragraph down to part of a
    sentence, but you couldn't remove the "you" I
    accidentally put in?

    Dan promised subtitle support as part of a multi audio
    stream version of VRD, hasn't got there yet. So I guess
    you would have to use Womble for that.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Oct 30, 2005
  10. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Most of them don't "screw things up" for me.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Oct 30, 2005
  11. John

    Alpha Guest

    The problem is often not with authoring programs. Capture systems,
    particularly hardware, as well as encoders may not produce completely
    compliant mpeg files. There is also a little ambiguity in what is strictly
    by-the-book compliant, since latitude was built into the protocals (it is
    *adaptive* compression when not in CBR) or forced into the computing world
    by clever programmers (e.g. we can shave time off processing if we ignore
    this).

    Alpha, Oct 30, 2005
  12. VideoReDo and MF4 work just fine and I am pretty tired of you dogging them
    over and over. You started with a bad file, and ended with a bad DVD...end
    of story.

    Cathy De Viney, Oct 31, 2005
  13. John

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 22:36:00 -0600, "Cathy De Viney"

    Quit top posting. It makes you look like a newbie.
    Well get used to it because I will continue when I thing it is needed.
    It has nothing to do with any file. I have experienced problems with
    brand new DVDs.

    I am telling you that MF4 screws up audio sync and VideoReDo does not
    fix it.

    Bob, Oct 31, 2005
  14. John

    John Guest

    Do Roxio have any authoring program worth looking at? What about Sony?
    Any others?

    For now I am just making do with Nero Vision Express, but I am not
    liking the amount of time it is taking to author.

    Thanks for all the replies.

    John

    John, Oct 31, 2005
  15. Sony has the excellent DVD Architect but it's only avaible if you buy their
    pro DV editor program Vegas.

    Incremental Jones, Nov 1, 2005
  16. John

    Bob Guest

    I think you will find that the reason is because Nero is doing the job
    correctly. I use Ulead Movie Factory 4 and it has a setting for quick
    renders. However, using that render screws up the audio sync in almost
    every instance. So I have no choice but to do the Two Pass render and
    that takes a very long time.

    I may try Vision Express - can you tell me if it really does work in
    terms of audio sync and preserving subtitles. MF4 is a POS toy.

    one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore
    -- George Bernard Shaw

    Bob, Nov 1, 2005
  17. John

    John Guest

    On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:24:39 GMT, A strange species called
    I can't tell you about preserving subtitles because I have not copied
    a DVD to another one. I am just importing video where I add my own
    titles/chapters etc. When you say subtitles do you mean writing on
    screen? If so, I don't have a clue about this.

    As far as Audio goes, I have not had any sync problems at all.

    Nero does take blooming ages to burn a DVD. If I have 1 hour of video
    to burn, it takes 1 hour and a bit more. Equal to or more than real
    time!

    John

    John, Nov 3, 2005
  18. John

    John Guest

    How much is that costing to buy? Expensive? And what are the encoding
    and burning times like? Fast?

    John

    John, Nov 3, 2005
  19. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    A Number of us won't use Nero's VideoExpress, because
    it has a bad habit of reencoding into it's own codec, anything
    it gets its hands on. This not only totally unnecessary, if you
    have DVD compliant MPEG to start with, but can introduce
    compatibility issues later.

    As I mentioned before I prefer the speed and smooth
    workflow of TDA, I also like that with a few easy tricks
    you can produce just about any visual effect you want in
    the menus. For more complex and unusual menu actions
    as well as multiple audio tracks and subtitles, I like DVD
    Lab Pro. I've found that 99.8% of the DVDs I have
    made, and all those that weren't just experiments to see if
    something could be done, were made with TDA.

    Now, my primary sources are DVD compliant MPEG,
    (my hardware MPEG capture card or a RW disk from
    my DVD Recorder) so there is no further encoding
    required at all. I also own and use MPEG Encoders to
    create DVD Compliant MPEG from other sources, I feel
    that a separate encoding step produces a better result
    than that provided by the built-in encoding used by Nero
    Video Express and other such all-in-one programs.

    Despite "Bob"'s comments many find MF4 to be the next
    easiest Authoring program to use, and quite effective. It
    can be set to not further encode DVD compliant MPEG.
    VideoReDo has a setting to provide for the slight difference
    in the MPEG input requirements of the "Movie Factory"
    programs.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Nov 3, 2005
  20. John

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Movie Factory does a great job as long as you capture compliant files. If
    you have to render it sucks, but if you capture video into compliant files
    there is no rendering.

    SBFan2000, Nov 4, 2005