    So does anything that needs at least a little bit of intelligent brain
    power, even writing your name is full of "concepts which need to be
    learnt"...

    :Jerry:, Aug 23, 2007

  2. John

    Peter Guest

    Can it make movies from say 10,000 640x480 jpegs, each one forming one
    frame of the movie?

    This is a particular requirement I have, for making a time-lapse
    movie.

    Peter, Aug 23, 2007

  3. John

    Peter Guest

    Funny you should say that, old chum, because this kind of patronishing
    bullshit is exactly what one gets (from some arseholes, not from
    everybody) on the "oh so professional video editing "support" forums"
    when one asks a question there. I wonder if this is a coincidence.

    I use the word "support" in quotes because for the prices these things
    go for, the manufacturer ought to provide a decent user manual AND
    some real support.

    I just fall over backwards laughing when I see the Sony laptop adverts
    which try to push their cheap crap High Street laptops as machines
    suitable for video editing. It's no wonder the video editing software
    suppliers wash their hands of support, when they get 1000 calls a day
    from punters who can't make the product do what it should do.

    Peter, Aug 23, 2007
  4. John

    :Jerry: Guest

    Whilst people like you are the sort of ignorant arse-holes who refuse
    to RTFM before asking silly questions, I'm surprised that some don't
    post questions like "How does one open the (component X of the)
    program, there isn't an icon on the desktop?"...
    Well, talking about Premiere, Canopus and Sony (vegas) that remark
    just proves that you either don't bother to RTFM or are just unable to
    comprehend what is (unavoidably)a complicated/technical subject - not
    everything can be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator, for
    those it might be better just giving up, as you did!
    If they are talking about Vegas, which they would be, there really is
    nothing to suggest that a current medium spec laptop can not be used,
    of course one might need to add an external HDD - have you actually
    bothered to look at the spec' requirement for Vegas v.7?

    It's no wonder the video editing software
    No wonder at all when people like you don't RTFM, don't RTFS [1] and
    then complain that the software is a pile of ckack when it doesn't run
    properly on your machine!

    [1] not forgetting that the minimum spec is just that, what will allow
    the software to do the minimum of basic tasks.

    :Jerry:, Aug 23, 2007
  5. John

    Mortimer Guest

    I've had Studio 10 SmartStart (or some such naff name) for a few days - it
    was bundled with a DTTV decoder that I bought.

    I've found that on two different PCs it is a bit flaky: what often seems to
    crash it is adding a transition (eg fade/dissolve) and then editing its
    properties to change the duration: closing the transition view to go back to
    the storyboard view sometimes causes it to terminate and offer to send a
    report back to Pinnacle.

    So I always save my project just before doing this, so I can return to that
    state when I restart Studio 10.

    It probably happens one in every ten times that I edit a transition.

    Mortimer, Aug 23, 2007
  6. John

    xeaglecrest Guest

    Speaking of Pinnacle, right now I am trying to make a movie from a few
    One thing I use Pinnacle Studio 9 for is to create slideshows. There is
    workaround for your problem Instead of trying to render the whole
    project
    at one time, break it down into smaller parts (say 500 or 1000 jpegs).
    Render
    those as AVI files and then use those as the source for our final
    project.
    That way, Studio will treat it as just another video file rather that
    1000's
    of individual frames.

    -Bill

    xeaglecrest, Aug 23, 2007
  7. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Wait -- just who are you? Are you "John" the Original Poster (OP)?
    Or are you "Peter"?

    Yes you can add individual "images" to the VideoStudio timeline,
    just as you can in most editors. You might want to give VDubMod
    a try and frameserve to an encoder for a project like that.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Aug 23, 2007
  8. John

    :Jerry: Guest

    Also, although a bit of a learning curve, the GIMP (with animation
    add-on/plug-in) should be able to do what "Peter" wants - might also
    need something like Irfanview to batch rename / resize the source
    images.

    :Jerry:, Aug 23, 2007
  9. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Actually there is a quite active Animation crowd that have
    developed and moded a number of tools geared to their
    activities. A through Google search should get Peter connected
    to the right people.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Aug 24, 2007
  10. John

    Peter Guest

    I did look at this and there are loads of "unix" tools for doing it.
    Unfortunately, I don't run unix; my unix command line expertise is
    limited to "ls" and "rm -r" :)

    Pinnacle *should* work, and does work, but produces some unexpected
    movie lengths - see my other post.

    Peter, Aug 24, 2007
  11. John

    Peter Guest

    Can you explain how?

    As I wrote on the other thread (to which I see no responses on my
    usenet server at present), it works but produces longer than expected
    movies.

    If GIMP (I've seen their website) can pick up a folder with say 10,000
    640x480 jpegs and turn it into an mpeg movie of 576 lines, I would be
    interested. But I have Pinnacle 10, which I've paid for, and I would
    like to use it if I can.

    Peter, Aug 24, 2007
  12. John

    :Jerry: Guest

    *You* have already said that it can, but with unpredictable results!
    It's an animation package that has been designed to produce animated
    films - Duh!...

    But I have Pinnacle 10, which I've paid for, and I would
    Brick-wall, Head - feel free to have a close encounter... :~(

    :Jerry:, Aug 24, 2007
  13. John

    G Hardy Guest

    I've asked on one of the Ulead forums, and it will be checked later today,
    but a quick browse of the manual suggests it cannot do this. Have you any
    requirement for editing the resulting video, because I'm pretty sure
    VirtualDub can concatenate stills into an AVI.

    G Hardy, Aug 24, 2007
  14. John

    Peter Guest

    Thank you very much!

    The final video will not be edited but it needs to be in an
    immediately widely usable (by non computer literate www users) format
    i.e. WMV or MPEG2. I need to generate two different movies; one a
    low-res one of about 200-300 lines and the other a VCD full-broadcast
    size one.

    Pinnacle 10.5, which I currently have, does all this OK but the
    finished movie is about 2x longer than one would expect from the # of
    frames and the frame rate. This is acceptable but could be a problem
    in the future because I cannot play very much with the original camera
    interval period - it is 5 secs minimum.

    Pinnacle also crashes when doing this; a work-around is to start it
    clean with a "new project" and then when it has written out the file
    you have to exit before doing anything else.

    Someone suggested GIMP, which I might look at. However, I also use
    Pinnacle for normal HD movie capture and editing (contrary to what
    their tech support told me, it supports HD just fine and generates
    1080-line video).

    Peter, Aug 24, 2007
  15. John

    Trev Guest

    Cant you speed it up.
    And is PAL not 23.9 fps

    Trev, Aug 24, 2007
  16. John

    :Jerry: Guest

    No PAL is 25fps exact, unless you are working in *certain* HD formats,
    which will not be the case with what Peter wants to do or is imposed
    format restrictions (above).

    :Jerry:, Aug 24, 2007
  17. John

    Peter Guest

    Looking at

    http://docs.gimp.org/en/

    even finding the relevant feature in the manual would be a challenge.
    This is a serious anorak piece of software.

    "Learning curve" is an understatement.

    Peter, Aug 24, 2007
  18. John

    :Jerry: Guest

    Well, as I said, some people are better off just giving up...

    :Jerry:, Aug 25, 2007
  19. John

    G Hardy Guest

    You could always create your full-res, uncompressed original video from
    stills using VirtualDub, then put that on the Pinnacle timeline and output
    other video files with the codecs and dimensions you need.

    Uncompressed SD video is HDD hungry - Over 30MB per second. If I had a load
    of hi-res stills, I'd be more inclined to seek a solution that uses the
    JPEGs themselves as the video file, just so I wasn't duplicating such
    volumes of data. The editor I use, Ulead's MediaStudio Pro allows this, and
    is very stable, but it's not cheap, and with no Vista version coming, it
    looks like there's not much of a future for it, either.

    G Hardy, Aug 25, 2007
  20. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    It's not as bad as it looks. Just don't be distracted by all
    the controls and options available. You don't need to know
    how to use all the features, not right away and probably not
    ever. Just learn how to do what it is you want to do, then
    you will see that it's pretty easy.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Aug 25, 2007