DVD Authoring and Burning program?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Aug 14, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I just wondered what program(s) other people are using for editing
    their home movies, and authoring to DVD?

    I was using Nero 6 but have been having a lot of problems so am
    thinking of switching.

    I've been looking at a lot of different website for different programs
    for example:

    DVD Lab
    Pinnacle Studio 11
    Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio
    Pegasys DVD Author 3
    Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6

    Anyone have any preferences/recommendation for a decent bug free non
    bulky good value highly compatible efficient product for editing and
    authoring your own home movies to DVD? What gives the best bang for
    your buck?

    John

    John, Aug 14, 2007

  2. John

    Mark A Guest

    I use Pegasys DVD Author 3, but then it's not really a full blown
    movie editor. It's more a DVD authoring package that allows for some
    simple near-lossless MPEG cutting and pasting. If you want full
    frame-by-frame time-line editing then that's not what it does. But
    if you want to simply transfer existing DVD or Sky STB material
    (via a DVD recorder) and remove ads down to frame accuracy, then
    it's first class.

    Regards

    Mark

    Mark A, Aug 14, 2007

  3. John

    John Guest

    If you need to do both what would you recommend? Would you buy DVD
    Author and a separate movie editor or is there one package that can do
    both and is pretty good?

    John

    John, Aug 14, 2007
  4. John

    Cathy Guest

    Ulead Video Studio may do what you want...there is a free trial.

    Cathy, Aug 14, 2007
  5. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    You don't mention the format of the "home movie" footage
    that you want to edit. You could check out an editing program
    that can handle both DV and MPEG, a good choice for
    "home movies" would be something like Ulead's VideoStudio.
    Check the tool listings at www.videohelp.com

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Aug 14, 2007
  6. John

    Mark A Guest

    Sorry, I don't edit home movies so I don't have any experience. I do
    know I tried earlier versions of Ulead's Video Studio and was surprised
    at how poor it's menuing and authoring side was. It's probably got a lot
    better now though.

    Regards

    Mark

    Mark A, Aug 14, 2007
  7. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    As someone who is very familiar with TDA and who
    has always discouraged trying to author with an editing
    package, I also feel that a dedicated DVD authoring
    program is the much better approach. But, there has
    been some real improvement in the authoring function
    of VideoStudio, to include 16:9 menus. I agree that
    it is not as versatile or intuitive as TDA, and that I would
    certainly continue to use TDA for any routine DVD
    production, for the way it fits into a good workflow.

    For someone with camcorder footage, that can benefit
    from editing, though; VideoStudio offers a reasonably
    good DVD creation process. Of course there is nothing
    to prevent editing in VideoStudio then rendering the
    movie as DVD compliant MPEG, for authoring in a
    dedicated authoring program.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Aug 15, 2007
  8. John

    Rock Troll Guest

    I've been making some DVD's of our old home movies, mostly old VHS
    tapes but I'll be doing some eventually with Hi8. I'm mainly just
    creating a DVD of the old home movies. I'm not doing a lot of
    "creative" stuff with the movies. I just hook my VCR up to my Magnavox
    DVD Recorder which I got from Sam's Club for $82.00 and record
    straight to DVD. I then copy the VOB files to my computer and edit the
    VOB files into separate MPG-2 files using VideoReDo v1.6.0.243. I then
    use TMPGEnc DVD Author v1.6.34.89 to make the DVD and then burn it
    with Nero Burning ROM v6. Since I'm not trying to be fancy I don't
    need a lot of transitions, or other film effects. I'm just trying to
    convert VHS and Hi8 tape to DVD's.

    I have tried a lot of the Movie Editing software out there. Sony Vegas
    is very good. Pretty complicated but after the steep learning curve
    very powerful. Sonic MyDVD is one of the first ones that I got and
    since it would only acknowledge (on the version I got) that DVD's were
    2hrs in length and to bad if your MPG files were at a different bit
    rate (for a longer movie) it would reencode everything to the standard
    that it wanted. I haven't kept up with the newer versions since. Some
    people swear by it, I just swear at it.

    I have edited some nice movies with Ulead Video Studio 8. The one
    thing that I really like about it is the Ken Burns effect that you can
    do with your still photos. If you've ever seen any of Ken Burns
    documentaries particularly Civil War you'll know what I'm talking
    about. Pan and scan and zoom on photos can make nice additions to a
    movie if you don't actually have any movie to edit. It has a boat load
    of transitions and effects that you can transition between clips and
    still photos and you can add in some nice moving text, (including if I
    remember right the classic Star Wars text scrolling into the far
    reaches of space. It's easy and very nicely done. You can throw still
    photos at it and combine it with video's and add sound effects and a
    sound track. You can even add in mutiple sound tracks if you want to
    have a narration track. If you want to be "creative" in your movie
    editing I'd recommend Ulead Video Studio. I haven't used the newest
    version, but if it hasn't been turned into bloatware I'd give it a
    try.

    Hope this gives you a little info to think about.

    Rock Troll, Aug 15, 2007
  9. <snip>

    Just curious: why don't you use 1.6's own burning facility? So far,
    after making maybe 50 or so short family DVDs, I've had no failures.

    Terry Pinnell, Aug 15, 2007
  10. John

    Telstar Guest

    Therefore, I would encourage the OP to check out MovieFactory 6. It has
    fewer editing functions, but the DVD authoring component is better than
    VideoStudio, IMO.

    Telstar, Aug 16, 2007
  11. John

    Rock Troll Guest

    Mainly because I'm comfortable with Nero for burning. I ascribe to Ken
    Maltby's contention to find the right tool to do each job and use
    that. Nero is a very good burning program. I just have never
    experimented with 1.6's burning facility. I know Nero will burn my DVD
    with no problems. Each program iis tailored to do certain things well
    and I try and find the ones that I like and that work well for me and
    that's what I use until something else better comes along that I have
    the time to experiment with or that are recommended. I used to use
    Womble MPG to edit my MPG files until a lot of people in this group
    (including I think Ken Maltby) recommended VideoReDo. I tried it and
    haven't gone back.

    Rock Troll, Aug 16, 2007
  12. That's my attitude too. But if I can find a program that handles
    several functions easily and reliably, all the better! Ideally, if I
    had one that could do *everything* easily and reliably, I'd use that.

    Isn't that comparison of Womble v VideoRedo rather inappropriate?
    Assuming you mean Womble MPEG Video Wizard, that's a full editor,
    supporting effects, transitions, etc, and handles multiple file
    formats (MPEG, AVI, JPEG, etc).

    Terry Pinnell, Aug 16, 2007
  13. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    I've found that TDA's burning application works well with
    my setup and NEC 2510A, so I also use it to burn DVDs.
    In fact I also use it to burn Data DVDs, as it does the job
    quickly with little fuss. I use Nero Burning ROM for any
    tricky or unusual burning that may crop up, from time to
    time.

    IMHO, VideoReDo is an essential tool for anyone who
    works with MPEG. While Womble's "Video Wizard"
    programs can do some MPEG Editing, they are no longer
    unique in that regard. There are more capable editing
    programs in the same price range, Ulead's "VideoStudio"
    and even Magix's "Movie Edit Pro" series. But whatever
    program you use to edit with, VideoReDo will provide
    some additional very useful processing and support.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Aug 17, 2007
  14. John

    Rock Troll Guest

    I agree "if" a program can handle several functions easily and
    reliably, my experience has been that they don't. Not saying they all
    don't but my experience has shown me that when a program tries to do
    everything it does nothing well.

    I did try 1.6's burning tool last night and it worked easily and
    reliably. I may try it some more. Thanks for the recommendation.

    The Womble program was the version before MPEG Video Wizard, it might
    have been mpegVCR. I haven't tried Video Wizard.

    Rock Troll, Aug 17, 2007
  15. John

    swordm Guest

    use Total Video2Dvd Author, easy to use,

    website:http://www.effectmatrix.com/total_video_to_DVD_Author/index.htm

    swordm, Aug 20, 2007
  16. John

    Peter Guest

    I speak as someone who does NOT do this for a living, and I store all
    the original movies on the original DV tapes, where they will last (by
    far) the longest. I have an occassional need to make a movie for a
    website, sometimes in the small WMV format and sometimes a
    broadcast-size mpeg which is many megabytes.

    Having played with a few products

    Pinnacle 10
    Liquid 7
    Sony Vegas

    I think the answer to your Q must be "it depends on how much time you
    want to invest going up the learning curve".

    The LC of these products can be massive. L7 in particular was
    horrendous. After a few days I did finally manage to force it to make
    the simplest movie. It is packed with counter-intuitive features.
    There is a support forum on which some people do try hard to help but
    basically most issues don't get resolved, or not fast - you have to
    plug away posting on there for a few days to work out just one
    feature.

    Vegas was impenetrable, IIRC. I tried Adobe Premiere a long time ago
    and after a day could not make it work.

    Pinnacle is relatively easy, but is not without bugs. It is however a
    lot better (in a v10, updated several times) than it used to be.

    For home movies, Pinnacle is the way to go, IMHO.

    Dedicated movie people will laugh at this, but they already know all
    the paradigms that this business runs on. What the hell is a
    "timeline" for example?

    Peter, Aug 22, 2007
  17. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Your last question makes no sense, if you have the experience
    with editing programs that you claim. If you never obtained a
    grasp of such a simple and fundamental concept, you have no
    means of evaluating any editing package. It would also explain
    your difficulty with the other programs, what still makes no
    sense is your claim that you can work in "Pinnacle" without
    understanding the timeline concept.

    There are plenty of inexpensive editing packages, in the
    same price range as "Pinnacle" that are, at least, as easy
    and user friendly. Liquid, Premiere, and Vegas are much
    more expensive and complex professional packages. The
    makers of each of those also offer less expensive and less
    complex programs. In addition to those, there are good
    packages from Ulead, Magix, and others.

    Check the listings at

    www.videohelp.com

    Ulead's VideoStudio series may be the easiest to use.
    Magix's Movie Edit Pro 12 may actually provide the
    most useful features for the buck.

    DVD Authoring should be done in a separate authoring
    program - in my opinion. TMPGEnc DVD Author,
    DVDLab Pro, for sure; and Ulead's DVD workshop,
    perhaps their DVD Movie Factory as well.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Aug 22, 2007
  18. John

    :Jerry: Guest

    I suspect he has been using the story-board in Pinnacle (studio), as
    you say, if he has no concept of what a time-line is it's any wonder
    he found Vegas (and others) "impenetrable"?!

    :Jerry:, Aug 22, 2007
  19. John

    Peter Guest

    Yes, I have been using that mode, as well as the others, and I do now
    know what a timeline is. What I was hoping to point out is that this
    business is full of concepts which need to be learnt.

    The problem I have with Liquid 7 was more specific and even repeated
    posts on their support forum were unable to get to the bottom of it.
    In L7 you can select which of a number of data sources (e.g. video,
    sound, etc) end up being merged into the movie. You check the checkbox
    for each one that you want, and there are various things which change
    shade or colour of the selected source. However, every movie I made
    turned out to be blank. The sound track was there but no video.
    Obviously there was something really subtle (and probably obvious to a
    user who knows the program) but I never worked it out. I don't
    remember the details now. I should add that I am a hardware / software
    developer with 35 years' experience, and have extensive experience in
    IT, computers, networking. And a BSc in Electronics. Liquid 7 did
    however beat me.

    Speaking of Pinnacle, right now I am trying to make a movie from a few
    thousand jpeg images. This is a feature in the program, and does work.
    There are a few probable bugs though - the program has just crashed
    for the 3rd time this morning, trying to render the movie. It does
    mini WMV files but has problems with full size mpegs. The magazine
    reviews did say it was the most unstable (meaning ridden with bugs
    that crash it) video editing product they ever tested. This is v10 -
    is v11 any better?

    Peter, Aug 23, 2007
  20. John

    Ken Maltby Guest

    Pinnacle has earned its self a bad reputation in years past, but
    since it was acquired be Avid (the originators of Liquid Pro 7)
    it appears to be somewhat improved. Still many of us avoid
    Pinnacle out of force of habit.

    Why not try another economic editing package like Ulead's
    VideoStudio, in place of the Pinnacle program. They have a
    demo I believe.

    Luck;
    Ken

    There is that "gladly" enough?