    off parts of the picture. Am I missing some key setup information here or
    is this just the way it is?

    Thanks for any help, Kim

    Piper, Apr 21, 2004

  2. Piper

    luminos Guest

    Which aspect ratio is your Titanic DVD?

    luminos, Apr 21, 2004

  3. Piper

    Aphelion Guest

    Set the TV display to letterbox, not 16x9, when watching non-anamorphic
    DVDs.

    Aphelion

    Aphelion, Apr 21, 2004
  4. Piper

    Piper Guest

    Well, there is no reference to the actual aspect ratio other than "wide
    screen version". I suspect it is 2.35:1.

    Kim

    Piper, Apr 21, 2004
  5. Piper

    Piper Guest

    Thanks, but there is no such setting on the TV. My TV is an AKAI pdp4294.

    Kim

    Piper, Apr 21, 2004
  6. Piper

    Si Guest

    The "Zoom" mode on your TV should work without cutting off any parts of the
    picture. Are there different versions of zoom? A (CRT) Panasonic I used to
    have had several different "Zoom" settings. There should certainly be one
    for this. If not, just set the TV to 4:3 and try to ignore the borders all
    the way around...

    Incidentally, I'm sure you know this, but just in case -- the image won't
    fill the screen even when zoomed properly if the aspect ratio on the DVD is
    2.35:1

    Si

    Si, Apr 21, 2004
  7. Piper

    runner Guest

    Play around with the Screen Mode settings on your AKAI: Normal, Wide,
    Panorama, zoom1, zoom2, Stretch... one of these will be correct. I have a
    Sony and I have to set it on zoom for non-anamorphic letterbox films like
    your Titanic

    runner, Apr 22, 2004
  8. Piper

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Piper, says...
    The problem you are having is because Titanic isn't 16x9 enhanced, so
    there are only two ways to display it correctly on your TV set. One is
    pillarboxed, which will give you black bars on both the sides, as well
    as the top and bottom of the screen. The other way is to zoom into the
    picture to elliminate the side bars.

    Your TV is set to stretch the picture side-to-side rather than zooming
    in. There should be a different setting that will work for you.

    Mark Spatny, Apr 22, 2004
  9. Piper

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    If nothing else works, and the DVD player is a progressive scan model,
    turn off progressive scan and try again. The TV may be one of those
    models that locks into 16:9 stretch on all progressive scan signals
    regardless of whether the disc is anamorphically enhanced or not.

    Joshua Zyber, Apr 23, 2004
  10. (Piper) wrote:

    I have a new 16:9 flat panel plasma EDTV and am having a display problem
    with some DVD's. DVD's that are "letter boxed" (not anamorphic or
    "enhanced for wide screen TV's") appear stretched and too wide (Titanic
    DVD is one of them). My DVD player is set properly for the 16:9 display.
    There are zoom modes available on the DVD and the plasma monitor but
    they don't really go to the correct aspect ratio and they seem to lower
    the resolution and cut off parts of the picture. Am I missing some key

    Maverick Dude, Apr 24, 2004