    with Canon covering this kind of problem under warranty, or is there
    some other fix anyone knows about that I can just do myself? Thanks.

    http://jake.dnsalias.net/vla_dustspot.jpg

    Jake, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Jake

    Jer Guest

    That's actually a UFO masquerading as a dust bunny. It follows you around.

    Jer, Jul 16, 2005

  3. Jake

    DHB Guest

    Jake,
    the editor you used striped the EXIF/mata data from the image
    so it's difficult to give much more than a guess as the what the
    problem night be.

    If it's something on the CCD sensor which is possible even
    with a P&S but is much more common with DSLRs because they have
    interchangeable lenses & so the CCD is briefly exposed to the
    environment while changing lenses. That said, P&S cameras are not
    hermetically sealed, so depending on the conditions (windy open areas
    with fine dust blowing about), it's possible that something got inside
    & on the CCD. With that said, I would 1st do many tests to rule out
    something on the front lens element.

    <1> Careful inspection of the front lens element, a large magnifying
    glass or jeweler's loupe & very good lighting would help.

    <2> Does the dark spot change size or position when the lens is zoomed
    in or out?

    <3> Does the dark spot change size or position when a picture is taken
    @ f2.8 versus f8.0?

    If it's on the CCD sensor it will hold relative position
    within the picture frame. Also it's likely to be more noticeable @
    higher f stops (f8.0).

    If it's on the lens someplace it's likely to change size &
    darkness & possibly even position as the lens is zoomed between it's
    extremes.

    Suggestions which may be a bit to late would be to use a
    lens/filter adapter to mount a 37mm or 52mm protective filter over the
    lens. This helps protect the front lens element as well as possible
    problems with the lens from getting bumped because it fully envelopes
    the lens without touching it. Here are a cope of links to places that
    carry such adapters for different cameras including your A95:

    http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product_index/index001-camera_acc-canon.html

    http://www.lensmateonline.com/A80adapter.htm

    Their are others that carry adapters too, I have & use both
    the 37mm & 52mm adapters on my A95. The 37mm is more compact which
    means it has less effect on blocking light from the built-in flash or
    optical view finder but the 52mm has the advantage of being the same
    filter size used by some of my DSLR lenses, thus I can use those
    filters on my A95 as well.

    Incidentally, if anybody has children that use a P&S camera
    this is cheap & effective lens protection insurance, so is always
    using the wrist strap. I'm an adult, & the writs strap has saved a
    P&S camera of mine from being dropped twice. Accidents happen
    especially in crowded areas & a simple bump to 1's arm might be all it
    takes to send a camera on it's way to the floor/ground.

    Hope this helps in some way to either you or others.

    Respectfully, DHB

    ..
    to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918

    DHB, Jul 16, 2005
  4. Jake

    Mike Henley Guest

    If it's under warranty don't hesitate to the bug the hell out of them
    till they get it fixed. If they say "no" say "yes you will"!, if they
    still say "no" say "yes you will, or else!", and keep at it!

    Mike Henley, Jul 16, 2005
  5. SNIP
    Yes.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jul 16, 2005
  6. Jake

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Must be a huge piece of dust then, if it covers such a big chunk of the
    image. I've never seen anything like that.

    Alfred Molon, Jul 16, 2005
  7. Or a smallish sensor.

    Bart

    Bart van der Wolf, Jul 17, 2005
  8. Jake

    Jake Guest

    Here are links to more of the pictures, this time I made sure that the
    EXIF information was preserved in the resizing process.

    http://jake.dnsalias.net/a95/

    Jake, Jul 19, 2005