    I want to run a Duron on my 1600-Asus A7V board-Asus say I can only run up
    to Morgan1300-I have upgraded Bios and can set mutiplier and FSB to get
    1600-Does this mean a 1600 duron should run on my m?board?

    Dave, Oct 17, 2003

  2. Dave

    ~misfit~ Guest

    It depends really. If your mobo can support the low voltage needed then yes.
    I think the 'Applebred' Durons may require a lower core voltage than the
    Morgans. What does the Morgan run as default vcore?

    ~misfit~, Oct 17, 2003

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I think it is 1.6volts.The new Bios upgrade I did gives be a good range to
    play with.

    Dave, Oct 17, 2003
  4. Dave

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I'm not familliar with that board. Does it support Athlons? The new Durons
    are just a cut-down version of the XP Athlon T'bred B. Of course you could
    always try it and see. If it doesn't work then you need a new mobo. :)

    ~misfit~, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Hi there,

    My Morgan core Duron 1100 has nominal Vcore of 1.5v. After doing
    a quick search I found that nominal Vcore on 'applebred' 1.6GHz
    Durons is also 1.5v. The new Durons are apparently a budget take
    on the Athlon Thoroughbred 'B' die, but with FSB limited to 266MHz
    and only 64kB on-chip L2 cache. A couple of benchmarks sites show
    the new Durons to perform well, almost matching the Athlon XP at
    the same clock speed (note CLOCK speed, not 1800+ or 2000+ rating)

    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Christchurch.

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 18, 2003
  6. Dave

    ~misfit~ Guest

    From what I gather the rest of the L2 cache is present, just disabled. In
    some cases it's faulty but in others it can be re-enabled if you join a few
    traces on the top of the CPU. I've heard something like 50%+ of these CPUs
    can have 256KB af cache re-enabled and running fine, others, another 25% or
    so, can have another 128KB enabled for 192KB all-up.

    It has been speculated that a good percentage are deliberately downgraded XP
    Athlons, produced to fit a niche market.

    ~misfit~, Oct 18, 2003
  7. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Got a 1700XP running at 1387.5.Has anyone cut the 5th L3 bridge on one of
    these to unlock higher mutiplier?

    Dave, Oct 18, 2003
  8. Dave

    Lost Guest

    How / why is it running at that speed? The 1700XP has got an 11 multiplier, for
    1463MHz on 133MHz FSB or 1100MHz on 100MHz FSB. I don't know how you've got
    1387. Do you have an 2200XP on 100MHz FSB?

    Lost, Oct 18, 2003
  9. Dave

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I have what was an XP 1800+ T'bred B with an 11.5 multiplier. I cut the 3rd
    and 5th L2 bridges (from memory) and it's now a default multiplier of 13.5
    or an XP 2200+. Same vcore as my board has no adjustments for multiplier or
    vcore.

    Runs sweet as a nut.

    ~misfit~, Oct 19, 2003
  10. Dave

    Rich Guest

    He(she) may be running an unusual FSB...about 126 by my calculations. I
    can't think why though.
    Or a multiplier of about 10.5 @ 133FSB gets you close as well.

    Rich, Oct 19, 2003
  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Running at that speed as M/Board won't run past 111mhzFSB even though its
    meant to be 133MhzFSB-well know problem with A7V apparently.So I'm running
    chip at 12.5x111FSB.
    12.5 is highest mutiplier through dip switches but if I cut 5th L3 bridge on
    chip it adds 8x to mutiplier settings,.
    I'm a bit iffy about best way to cut bridge?

    Dave, Oct 19, 2003
  12. Dave

    T.N.O. Guest

    Skill saw :)

    seriously, I have heard of using as dremal, I have a $30 dremal rip off, and
    it seemed to do the job on a mates one(he did it, not me)

    T.N.O., Oct 19, 2003
  13. Dave

    Lost Guest

    You need to flick a dip switch on the motherboard to shunt it from 90 to 120MHz
    being available, to 133MHz being available. Just read the manual. I've got the
    same board.
    It can't go past 111MHz FSB with the 1/3rd PCI divider because (I assume) the
    hard disk controller won't handle it. The dip switch on the motherboard that
    sets it to 133MHz also changes it to a 1/4th PCI divider.

    Lost, Oct 19, 2003
  14. Dave

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I cut mine carefully with a small craft knife, just a little nick between
    the two gold 'spots'. Some people say to short them out with a 9v battery
    but I didn't like that idea.

    ~misfit~, Oct 19, 2003
  15. Dave

    bt Guest

    Cold chisel. You will need a steady hand, because if you miss you
    could shatter your cpu with the hammer.

    Brendan (Avatar)

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸

    Check out my cool Water Cooling Project! http://www.computerman.orcon.net.nz/WaterCooling1.html

    Email: [email protected] (dot com). No Timewasters. No UCE.
    My comments are IMHO, IIRC, FYI, and Copyright.

    bt, Oct 20, 2003
  16. Dave

    Dave Guest

    What dip switch?

    Dave, Oct 20, 2003
  17. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Thanks for the help-cut 5th L3 and all OK.

    Dave, Oct 20, 2003
  18. Hi there,

    On the note of Duron benchmarking I played with clock settings on
    my 1100 yesterday. I got to 1148 MHz, and all seemed sweet-as but the
    next 2 MHz increase in bus speed all but ruined CPU -> graphic card
    transfer stability, and despite the CPU/RAM running sweet-as, my
    GeForce card haemmorhaged bigtime and then refused to run, until
    bus/CPU speeds were reset...

    Weird, some guys run 20-30% over on Morgan core Duron/AthlonXP
    chips without trouble...

    Chris Wilkinson, Oct 20, 2003