    www.livefromhawaii.com/key1.jpg

    www.livefromhawaii.com/key2.jpg

    thanks

    Brian, May 5, 2006

  2. Brian

    Zitty Guest

    Yeah right. We might believe that is the real reason for wanting a
    duplicate, but I doubt the police would when one gets lost and is used to
    break into the building.

    Zitty, May 5, 2006

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Why would I want to break in to my own building? A friend will be visiting
    soon and I'd like to have another fob so he can come and go as he wishes
    while I am at work. I was just asking a simple question, if you don't have
    any helpful advice don't post, please.

    Brian, May 5, 2006
  4. Brian

    Whiskers Guest

    Can we all have one, while you're at it? Might as well, we might need one
    one day.
    You could ask someone to leave a spare under the third flower-pot on the
    left, or even better fix things so that you don't need the pesky key at
    all. After all, the nonsense about 'security' is just a lot of hype to
    scare people into wanting locks and so on. There really aren't any
    unauthorised people wanting to get into your building. No-one at all.
    I'm sure the management would understand and reward you for your
    public-spirited initiative.

    (Keys that can easily be copied 'without going through the management' are
    not 'secure').

    Whiskers, May 5, 2006
  5. Brian

    Evan Platt Guest

    Pretty easy if you have the right equipment. There's a article in
    Wired about it.

    But if you don't have the hardware... :-D

    Evan Platt, May 5, 2006
  6. Brian

    Peaches Guest

    Apart from security implications, another issue is fire regulations.
    Those devices can be read via a phoenix interface (google it), and
    then a "duplicate" produced. But it is probably assigned to you and a
    specific number allocated, which could leave your "friend" trapped
    in a burning building with evacuation records showing empty.
    Conversely rescue officers could be put at risk from your dubious
    folly.

    Peaches, May 5, 2006
  7. Brian

    Brian Guest

    I know I do not have the hardware, otherwise it would be as easy as the push
    of a button to program the proper string in to a stand alone 125khz chip.
    I've called a few local security places but they are all closed today.

    These keys only work for entering the building. You swipe the key when you
    want to get in. After you are in, anyone can call the elevator to go down
    and walk out the door without any key.

    Brian, May 5, 2006
  8. Brian

    Evan Platt Guest

    Closed on a Friday? That's odd.
    Yeah, I have one of those too at the building I work at.

    Evan Platt, May 5, 2006
  9. Brian

    Evan Platt Guest

    If it is YOUR building (which I'm guessing means you RENT there, not
    own), call building management. That's what you pay them for isn't it?

    Evan Platt, May 5, 2006
  10. Brian

    Meat Plow Guest

    Go through the building management.