duplicating a hdd

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Pretzelz, Aug 31, 2005.

  1. Pretzelz

    Pretzelz Guest

    Hi All,

    The 40gb hard drive in one of my laptops has just about died. It makes
    an attempt to load up windows, but just keeps loading away then will
    usually crash at various points. It started last night when windowsXP
    crashed for the first time giving me a blue screen, then has
    deteoriated to unusable today.

    So I've ordered another 80gb laptop hdd now, so that should be here in
    a few days.

    Basically I want to copy everything from the 40gig drive to the 80,
    rather than reinstalling everything. So I have also ordered a USB case
    to put the 40gb drive to download the data off. (assuming some of it is
    still just about readable)

    Can I simply transfer EVERY file from the 40gb drive to the 80gb drive
    - and then put the new drive into my laptop?

    Many thanks!

    Pretzelz, Aug 31, 2005

  2. Pretzelz

    HF Guest

    Before you consider anything else the 80gb needs to be IN the laptop and the
    40 in the USB external drive case. Then you would copy its contents on to
    the new drive - the new 80gb.Consult
    http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/hd/cpyhd/index.html for a bit of info.

    HF, Aug 31, 2005