Dumping Symantec-everything, looking for anti-virus and utilies recommendations

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by All Things Mopar, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. After quietly reading the number of horror stories about
    things that Symantec products, notably Norton Utilities
    and Norton Anti-Vurus, do to ordinarily fine running
    systems, I've decided to dump everything-Symantec I've
    got when my nephew finished my new PC. He'll be doing a
    full install of Windows XP Pro SP2.

    I'm leaning in favor of Grisoft's AVG for my anti-virus
    solution right now. I'll try the Free Edition and
    possibly upgrade to the Pro version.

    I am /not/ looking for another all-in-one-does-
    everything solution like my present Norton SystemWorks
    2003. Instead, I'd like a completely separate anti-virus
    program, and separate systems utility program(s).

    What I'm requesting from the many knowledgeable people
    here are some real-world experienced recommendations. As
    I said, I am /not/ looking for another all-in-one app. I
    have no use (I don't think) for utilities like Norton
    Ghost or Norton Web Tools.

    Is AVG a good AV choice? Do you recommending buying the
    Pro edition?

    What do people recommend for HD defragging, HD
    optimizing, HD error diagnostics, file undeleting,
    Registry cleaning, Registry editing, etc.? I assume the
    more technically proficient people do not rely on Win XP
    SP2 tools alone for this.

    And, please keep in mind that I'm not necessarily
    looking for free software. I pay for what I use and
    would certainly pay the shareware fee for good software
    as well as buy competant commercial utilities app(s).

    Thanks for your help.

    All Things Mopar, Jul 7, 2005

  2. All Things Mopar

    joevan Guest

    IMHO, kaspersky is the best AV, bar none.

    joevan, Jul 7, 2005

  3. All Things Mopar

    old jon Guest

    Hi J. everone has they`re own favourites, and they all swear by them. I use
    Zone Alarm
    Spybot (search & destroy)
    Spywareguard
    Winpatrol
    Ad-aware
    Windows washer
    Being a pensioner limits what I can afford, and some of these are freeware,
    but you can go for commercial versions. The guys here will probably give you
    more options. good luck and secure
    computing.
    best wishes..OJ

    old jon, Jul 7, 2005
  4. All Things Mopar

    °Mike° Guest

    Bad move.

    Kaspersky
    http://www.kaspersky.com

    ONLY if you ABSOLUTELY require a free solution, otherwise
    it is a pile of poo.
    No, there is no difference in the detect/replace engine.
    There is nothing wrong with the built-in defragger and
    registry editor. As for file undeleting, why would you
    need one permanently installed?

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jul 7, 2005
  5. On this date, old jon extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...
    Thanks for your thoughts.

    I use all of these except ZA, which I found in an
    earlier version to be not only ineffective, but
    intrusive on my work-flow, as well as causing me Windows
    maintence issues.

    All Things Mopar, Jul 7, 2005
  6. On this date, °Mike° extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...
    OK, why? What are the pluses/minues? I'm not disputing
    you, I just don't know. Lots of folks around here swear
    by it, or so I've been led to believe...
    Thanks, I'll investigate. Trend Micro's PC-cillin has
    also been recommended to me. What're your thoughts on
    that?
    RegEdit works OK, I guess, but I've found that Windows
    defragger only de-frags but makes no attempt at
    optimizing what goes where, folders, etc.
    I don't have a good answer to that except what
    difference does it make if an un-delete utility is
    permanently installed or not? But, you've not answered
    the question. There's nothing I'm aware of in XP that
    can get a file back if you empty the Recycle Bin, or am
    I missing something here?

    In general, for all the years I've had the misfortune to
    be "associated" with Microsoft, I have found that their
    utilities are hardly robust compared to utilities
    written for specific purposes.

    But, since I want to dump Symantec, I'm looking for
    /more/ than the native tools of XP, whether SP1 or SP2.

    All Things Mopar, Jul 7, 2005
  7. All Things Mopar

    °Mike° Guest

    Because, AS I SAID, it is a pile of poo. It has no pluses,
    other than the fact that it is free. It has a tendancy to
    detect but be unable to remove certain viruses; it is one
    of the forerunners in the "false positive" stakes; it very
    often tends to "guess", when it suspects, but has not
    positively identified an infection; it fails 'in the wild'
    tests regularly; it has failed ALL of the tests that I have
    put it through...should I go on?
    Much better than AVG, but not up to Kaspersky's standard.

    On an NTFS system, that function is completely
    redundant; it doesn't work like FAT32.
    When you lose data, the IMMEDIATE thing you must
    do, is to STOP USING THE DRIVE. Don't even shut
    down correctly, just turn off the power. You then need
    to remove the drive and slave it to another system to
    have the best chance of recovering all of your data, hence
    there is NO POINT.
    I still get the impression that you don't know exactly WHAT
    you are looking for, or don't understand.

    °Mike°, Jul 7, 2005
  8. All Things Mopar

    Pennywise Guest

    |>On this date, old jon extended this wisdom for the
    |>consideration of other readers...
    |>
    |>> Hi J. everone has they`re own favourites, and they
    |>> all swear by them. I use Zone Alarm
    |>> Spybot (search & destroy)
    |>> Spywareguard
    |>> Winpatrol
    |>> Ad-aware
    |>> Windows washer

    |>Thanks for your thoughts.
    |>
    |>I use all of these except ZA, which I found in an
    |>earlier version to be not only ineffective, but
    |>intrusive on my work-flow, as well as causing me Windows
    |>maintence issues.

    An earlier version of ZA did have a problem with VSMON taking up all
    the CPU (ver 4.5 IIRC), it's been fix'd now. You just got a bad
    version, I've been more than happy with it.

    Pennywise, Jul 7, 2005
  9. All Things Mopar

    Parko Guest

    Correct to a point. You do need to stop using the HD immediately. I'd just
    power off, then just boot from a Knoppix CD and move stuff to an external
    HD or USB SD thingy or an optical drive burner or a network location or
    HTTP or FTP. You get the idea.

    Parko, Jul 7, 2005
  10. On this date, °Mike° extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...

    [snip]
    Mike, I read and understood your replies to my questions. Thanks
    for the clarification.

    As to the last comment, I'm sorry you feel that way. I think I
    know exactly what I want, and I'll "know it when I see it".

    All Things Mopar, Jul 8, 2005
  11. On this date, Parko extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...
    Hey, guys, you're making a /lot/ of assumptions here,
    the biggest one of which is that people /know/ when
    they've deleted a file they really want. A much more
    common scenario is not to discover the loss for days,
    weeks, or months.

    The advice to immediately shut down and attempt a
    recovery is obviously correct, but what do you do
    /later/?

    I've been successfully using Norton Utilities since DOS
    4.0. It has always performed flawlessly for me. But,
    enough people in recent times have commented on the
    unknowing things that modern Symantec software does,
    that I've decided to heed their warnings and dump it.

    But, the need/want is still there...

    Having said that, Norton's Unerase /can/ and /does/
    successfully recover deleted files so long as the HD
    where the file was stored hasn't been overwritten.

    So, my question still stands: what, if anything, do
    people recommend for advanced systems work /other/ than
    the tools native to XP?

    Thanks for all for their comments.

    All Things Mopar, Jul 8, 2005
  12. All Things Mopar

    Pennywise Guest

    |>I've been successfully using Norton Utilities since DOS
    |>4.0. It has always performed flawlessly for me. But,
    |>enough people in recent times have commented on the
    |>unknowing things that modern Symantec software does,
    |>that I've decided to heed their warnings and dump it.
    |>
    |>But, the need/want is still there...
    |>
    |>Having said that, Norton's Unerase /can/ and /does/
    |>successfully recover deleted files so long as the HD
    |>where the file was stored hasn't been overwritten.
    |>
    |>So, my question still stands: what, if anything, do
    |>people recommend for advanced systems work /other/ than
    |>the tools native to XP?

    Norton Undelete is great, as is diskedit.

    Hiren's BootCD is good http://tinyurl.com/cup72 as is BartsPE as it
    reads NTFS http://65.24.134.81/KipSolutions/BootableCDrom/BartsPE.htm

    Pennywise, Jul 8, 2005
  13. All Things Mopar

    Parko Guest

    <flipping between OSes>

    Without being flippant, I thought I just gave you a hint.
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html
    Useful scenarios for WinXP: files deleted accidentally; files recovered
    from a hacked/infected machine.

    Plugged an external HD into my Linux box and recovered 3.4 Gig of WinXP
    deleted by music files. Its all about reading the set bits in the file
    headers, or sommat.

    Parko, Jul 8, 2005
  14. All Things Mopar

    Pennywise Guest

    wrote:

    |>Norton Undelete is great

    Of course I ment unerase.

    Pennywise, Jul 8, 2005
  15. All Things Mopar

    elaich Guest

    Did you read the topic of this thread? LMAO.

    elaich, Jul 8, 2005
  16. All Things Mopar

    Pennywise Guest

    |> wrote in |>4ax.com:
    |>
    |>> Norton Undelete is great, as is diskedit.

    |>Did you read the topic of this thread? LMAO.

    These are dos programs that come/came with Norton they alone are worth
    it, but they used to be hidden you really had to search for them.

    Unerase allows you to undelete files by just typing in the first
    letter of the file, no need to move it to another drive to recover.
    (like the old dos command just much better)

    I've used diskedit to rebuild partitions before, it's one of the
    better disk editors I've come across.

    I don't have Norton products installed on my system, but I have those
    two files.

    Pennywise, Jul 8, 2005
  17. On this date, extended this wisdom for the
    consideration of other readers...
    Thanks. I knew what you meant. BTW, I get 100% no-thing
    if I'm dumb enough to delete the folder as well as the
    files. If it's just some files, and their HD space
    hasn't been over-written, Unerase Wizard does reasonably
    well.

    One good by-product of getting ready for a new PC is I'm
    backing up everything in sight before it gets "lost" in
    the transfer. Plus, I've tracked down all the various
    usernames, passwords, unlock codes, serial numbers, and
    other stuff that I'll need to install my shareware and
    commercial software.

    All Things Mopar, Jul 8, 2005
  18. All Things Mopar

    M.L. Guest

    I too dumped my Norton Systemworks about 6 months ago...
    ....and chose AVG (free) for my antivirus app. My WinXP
    bootup time went from about 2.5 minutes to about 30
    seconds. And I'm very happy with AVG.

    Doesn't defragging also optimize? I've not had a problem with it.
    WinXP scandisk
    Restoration (freeware) and EasyRecovery Pro (payware)
    While Restoration is very fast, I find that EasyRecovery Pro is more
    comprehensive and successful at finding deleted files. However,
    neither of those actually replace Norton Unerase because they don't
    save deleted files for a specified amount of time. You have to take
    your chances of a deleted file being available.
    CCleaner, RegCleaner (both freeware)
    I use the WinXP tools, and have no regrets about not using the Norton
    apps any longer. However, I recently installed Norton's GoBack and my
    bootup time has increased to the 2 minute mark again, but I think
    GoBack is worth it.

    M.L., Jul 10, 2005
  19. On this date, M.L. extended this wisdom for the consideration
    of other readers...
    Not necessarily. One of Norton's Speed Disk options I used to
    use was to put file extensions used most at the front of the
    partition, then put the directory blocks up front also. For
    example, on C:\, I put the EXE and DLL files first. On my
    graphics files-only partition, I put JPG files first.

    I don't know if XP's defrag does or doesn't "optimize" but I'd
    be surprised if it did. I've never been particularly impressed
    with the robustness of native Windows utilities. Obviously, lots
    of other people agree, else Peter Norton wouldn't have become a
    multi-millionaire.

    All Things Mopar, Jul 11, 2005