    I'm looking for a sip provider that gives good reliable service and
    intelligent support without charging an arm-and-a-leg.
    Thanks for any advice.

    tg, May 9, 2009

  2. tg

    Brian A Guest

    One of the Betamax companiues (e.g. justvoip.com) will, from my
    experience, give a reliable outgoing SIP service. Top up with £10 and
    you'll get 4 months of free calls.Then you can use your top-up to call
    chargeable numbers such as mobiles etc. Downside is that there is
    virtually no customer service ...but then I don't find I need it.
    Voipfone costs more but you will get some customer service. Also you
    could look at voiptalk. Depending on the ATA you have, you don't need to
    have the same provider for incoming calls as for outgoing, if, that is,
    you want incoming calls at all.

    Brian A, May 9, 2009

  3. tg

    tony sayer Guest

    We use VoIPfone and they seem fine tho I reckon customer support is the
    one bloke;!..

    But still thats better than BT:(...

    tony sayer, May 9, 2009
  4. tg

    Woody Guest

    I have no complaints about www.voip.co.uk and they answer queries
    quickly and courteously.

    Andrews and Arnold, and Draytel often get good reports on here,
    and Sipgate, once the pariah, are now viewed as one of the better
    providers.

    Woody, May 9, 2009
  5. tg

    Graham. Guest

    It can be done.
    I've got an ATA that only supports a single account which is pointing
    to my outgoing provider smslisto.
    I have lots incoming numbers from providers that include sipgate,
    and tescointernetphone, that each have pbxes.com trunk regestered,
    and in each case an inbound route points to the uri of my ATA
    which is

    The important thing of course is that the Betamax account is not
    entrusted to the care of services like pbxes or mysipswitch because
    you will forfeit your inclusive calls. I think voxalot is immune to this,
    but registration of incoming providers is not free.

    Graham., May 9, 2009
  6. tg

    Graham. Guest

    I imagine Tesco's support is primarily for their own plug &
    play products rather than people who want to configure their
    own devices.
    I have a Tesco account set up, but I don't actively use it.
    I just tried dialling it's number, it rang my phone (via an ATA)
    but there is no audio in either direction. Is that your trouble?
    You don't say.
    I'm not at all bothered, I have plenty of others which don't
    give trouble such as those from orbtalk.co.uk and sipgate.co.uk

    Think of this newsgroup as your support, we will be happy to
    help you.

    Graham., May 9, 2009
  7. tg

    tg Guest

    thanks for your response woody but voip.co.uk don't show any prices or
    tarriffs on their website and when I rang them they only do payg. I'm
    looking for a fixed monthly fee with unlimited landline calls.

    tg, May 9, 2009
  8. tg

    tg Guest

    sipgate only to payg from what I could see, I'm looking for monthly
    fixed fee with unlimited landline calls.

    tg, May 9, 2009
  9. tg

    tg Guest

    justvoip is only payg from what I could see, I wanted a package with a
    monthly fixed fee with unlimited landline calls.

    tg, May 9, 2009
  10. tg

    tg Guest

    thanks but from what I could see voipfone only do payg, and I wanted a
    monthly fixed fee with unlimited landline calls.

    tg, May 9, 2009
  11. tg

    tg Guest

    yes that's what they always say but my devices work fine but their
    service is really patchy, yet they love to blame it on the customers
    hardware. They always use this excuse to get them out of a sticky
    situation.
    I went to ring orbtalk and noticed they're on an 0844 number, which
    instantly put me off. Does anyone know orbalks real landline number?

    tg, May 9, 2009
  12. tg

    Don Guest

    In
    Sipgate have a "Sipgate1000" tariff option, which gives "1,000 Minutes per
    Month to British fixed-line networks - for the super price of only £ 5.90".

    --
    Don

    Don, May 9, 2009
  13. tg

    news1001 Guest

    But no good if you have asterisk, outgoing calls fine, however some time
    ago they changed something on their platform, despite promoting some
    work around's, all they can say is 'it's a bug in asterisk' nothing we
    can do.

    All the other firms that supply a sip service have no problems, even
    Sipgate, including some that have the same multiple SBC's .

    From previously being an active promoter of voip.co.uk, I now say unless
    you have a simple ata, don't touch them.

    news1001, May 9, 2009
  14. tg

    Jono Guest

    news1001 brought next idea :
    I have two voip.co.uk numbers/trunks working fine on Asterisk...

    Use this in place of any existing server details in your trunk
    settings:
    single-01.proxy.voip.co.uk

    Jono, May 9, 2009
  15. tg

    news1001 Guest

    I have two voip.co.uk numbers/trunks working fine on Asterisk...
    I had that in for a while, but have screwed around with the settings so
    much, I cannot remember what was what.
    Registered OK, outbound OK, inbound, no matter what I do, hits an IVR,
    even if pointed at an ext.

    Time to clear it out & start again !

    would you post a neutered config ?

    Regards,

    news1001, May 9, 2009
  16. tg

    tony sayer Guest

    Just how -unlimited- do you need;?...

    If they only do PAYG can't you just top as and when needed VoIPfone do
    this!...

    tony sayer, May 9, 2009
  17. As others have said, how 'Unlimited' do you need? How many mins a month is
    your likely usage?

    Do you want the fixed fee because you'd prefer to pay by Direct Debit or
    similar? If not, Betamax products like Justvoip can do the 'fixed fee'
    thing if you change your mindset a bit. If it's a tenner every 4 months to
    maintain free landline calls, just think of it like a ten pound fixed fee paid
    thirdly (not quarterly :). Just put a note in your diary to remind you to
    pay it (or the web interface will tell you).

    If you change your thinking, once you've paid your 30 pounds/year you not
    only get 'unlimited' landline calls (where 'unlimited' is max 5 hours/week[*])
    but you get a limited quantity of 'free' calls to other destinations
    (mobiles, 084x, 087x etc) because that 30 pounds remains available to use as
    normal calling credit.

    [*] after the 5 hours it's 1 cent/min from your credit

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, May 9, 2009
  18. tg

    tg Guest

    hmmm thanks, I'll have to give that a closer look

    tg, May 9, 2009
  19. tg

    tg Guest

    unlimited means 'no limit'. I don't know many minutes I call each month
    but I like the idea of being able to pick up the phone anytime and dial
    any landline number and talk as long as I like knowing it's free and
    without the top-up thing at the back of my mind.
    haven't worked it out but if a line is unlimited I shoudln't need to
    worry about that.
    thanks but when I went to justvoip I couldn't see anything about a fixed
    fee package. Maybe I'm missing something but I couldn't see it.
    I couldn't see anything about a tenner at justvoip. I thought about
    calling them but there's no phone number, and to contact them you
    actually have to register first. Yak.

    tg, May 9, 2009
  20. tg

    richard2 Guest

    A lot also depends on just how much you are prepared to spend on "
    fixed fee" pr month Option 3 on BT without the need to be spending
    money on ATA's will give you unlimited calls to land lines including
    0845 and 0870 for just over £ 14.00 a month including line rental.
    Calls are limited to 59 minutes but you can put the phone down and re
    dial the same number again immediately .

    richard2, May 9, 2009