  1. Guest

    3W Guest

    He wrote 5 years, not one year.

    3W, Dec 10, 2005

  2. Guest

    Allan Guest

    What... your mother getting over time at Wal-mart this week?

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 10, 2005

  3. Guest

    Allan Guest

    don't remember paying $52 five years ago.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 10, 2005
  4. Guest

    Allan Guest

    Throw them on Ebay and see who gives a shit.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 10, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    When DVD was first on the horizon, LD fans had said the same thing to
    DVD. I won't replace my LD collection anytime soon, many titles won't
    be available on DVD ever, etc.

    Look what happended not ten years in.

    HD DVD will do to DVD what DVD did to LD. When the studios have a
    format ironed out, they will push the new format to skin the same cow
    a few more times, that's how they make money from their catalog.

    It might take HD DVD a bit longer to make DVD redundant but the end is
    near for DVD, especially when the studios can pack HD DVD and SD DVD
    on the same disc.

    Guest, Dec 10, 2005
  6. I still have ~750 LDs, most of the titles are not available on DVD.
    You might be right, but there are real differences between LD and DVD in
    the market at the introduction of the successor.

    LD was in a extended year over year decline of sales when DVD came out.
    There probably under 1 million LD player owners that bought LDs
    DVD didn't require the purchase of a new display for image improvement
    DVDs cost significantly less to buy than LDs

    DVD sales may have peaked, but the are not in an extended decline
    There are tens of millions of people who are actively buying DVDs
    HD-DVD/BR requires the purchase of expensive display for improved image
    Who knows where the studios will position HD-DVD/BR prices.

    I think HD-DVD/BR will take a lot longer to displace DVD than it took
    for DVD to displace LDs.

    Matthew

    Matthew L. Martin, Dec 10, 2005
  7. Guest

    Justin Guest

    You really are a moron.

    Justin, Dec 10, 2005

  8. DO you remember that top posting is a BAD thing in Usenet? This
    ain't your e-mail, dufus.

    NunYa Bidness, Dec 10, 2005
  9. Guest

    Large Farva Guest

    You bought Sin City on DVD 5 years ago? Wow. You ARE the man.

    Large Farva, Dec 10, 2005
  10. That might be called witty were it not for the fact that it is
    totally retarded. You are lucky you are anonymous or my
    shillelagh would address that hollowness you have in your skull.

    NunYa Bidness, Dec 10, 2005

  11. Great observation.

    NunYa Bidness, Dec 10, 2005
  12. Guest

    Allan Guest

    <>

    Crawl away.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 10, 2005
  13. Guest

    Allan Guest

    "That's because DVD's now cost half as much as they did 5 years ago."

    I'll say it again... Bullshit.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 10, 2005
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    It's true that DVD is the first to establish a sale thru market for
    movies so I agree HD/BR DVD won't finish off SD DVD cleanly in a short
    period of time.

    Studios are counting more and more on DVD sales as part of their
    profits. For new releases, the hybrid HD/SD DVD will do continue the
    sale thru. So from a studio's sales point of view, HD DVD isn't
    primarily aiming at new releases but catalog titles, one which you've
    already purchased a DVD for.

    That's why the James Bond movies, LOTR movies catalog rights still
    worth a bundle because studios can resell them few more times over.

    The biggest obstacle for HD DVD is the higher priced HDTV set but
    that's not the case anymore. A 32" 4/3 Sony 4-5 years ago was selling
    for $1000, the same as a 32" 16/9 LCD is selling now.

    To say HD DVDs won't sell because it needs a HDTV set is like saying
    SD DVD won't sell because there're a lot of older TV without a
    RCA/component input.

    When I first saw the first gen DVD player in action, I thouhgt it was
    a little pixalated and LD had a better picture. The second gen DVD
    player was a bit better but I thought, why would anyone replace their
    LD with DVD for marginal picture improvement.

    Well, you know what happended next.

    Guest, Dec 10, 2005
  15. I started buying DVDs a little less than five years ago. There's not
    much price difference. Of course, certain titles become cheaper if
    they're on clearance, or if they're replaced by better versions, but the
    price of the "typical" new release DVD is about the same.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Dec 10, 2005
  16. Guest

    3W Guest

    Get a life.

    3W, Dec 11, 2005
  17. Guest

    Allan Guest

    Exactly.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 11, 2005
  18. And I told you that you are a goddamned retard to think that you can
    tell folks what to do on Usenet. Will you ever get a clue in life,
    little boy?

    NunYa Bidness, Dec 11, 2005
  19. Guest

    3W Guest

    Say hello to the fast developing aneurysm.

    3W, Dec 11, 2005
  20. You're an idiot. To post incorrectly just for the sake of doing so?
    You're a goddamned retard, little boy.

    NunYa Bidness, Dec 12, 2005