    Galley Guest

    I dumped a large majority of my CD collection, thinking SACD was the future. Big
    mistake!

    Galley, Dec 9, 2005

  2. Well Amazon has it new for $10.99... never been to Wallmart but I
    doubt your claim of $4.99... so I call your bullshit.[/QUOTE]

    no, it's true. Sure, you have to hunt through that big bin of DVDs they
    stick in the aisle, but there you have it.

    Elmo P. Shagnasty, Dec 9, 2005

  3. Guest

    Allan Guest

    Never been in a "Wal-Mart" ... and I no longer buy DVD's... so....

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 9, 2005
  4. Guest

    pocopump Guest

    no, it's true. Sure, you have to hunt through that big bin of DVDs they
    stick in the aisle, but there you have it.[/QUOTE]

    Wal-Mart's listed price for Red Dragon is $10.87
    There are a lot of titles available for $9.98 at my local Wal-Mart.

    Most of these will rarely sell for more than $5.00 used on eBay.
    $5.00 might be a little high considering that you have to pay atleast
    $2.00 postage
    if not more.

    pocopump, Dec 9, 2005
  5. Guest

    Allan Guest

    no, it's true. Sure, you have to hunt through that big bin of DVDs they
    stick in the aisle, but there you have it.[/QUOTE]

    Amazon on-line is $10.99... Wal-mart on-line is close to that.
    Cheapest price at DVD price search... $9.19. It's Bullshit.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 9, 2005
  6. You probably have you brightness up too high.

    That posterization of dark areas will carry though to the new format
    likely as well.

    NunYa Bidness, Dec 9, 2005
  7. If the current resolution of DVDs and *that* library of transfers
    took as many years as it did, how long do you think that
    re-transferring that same library to a new, higher res, longer capture
    time per frame masters will take? There were long lines at the
    companies which performed the original DVD library of transfers.

    You pretty much screw yourself pitching away titles that you don't
    have any clue as to when they will be appearing in the new format.

    Several years, it will take. Many titles will not even get a new
    transfer treatment as well. There will simply be a BR or whatever
    release of the same source media at no improvement in resolution.
    Count on it.

    You are screwing yourself to dump a collection of discs because
    something new will be coming out. Especially when you don't even know
    the time line for it.

    DVDs are going to be around for quite a while, and they are quite
    high enough in resolution for nearly all applications.

    NunYa Bidness, Dec 9, 2005
  8. Exactly.

    NunYa Bidness, Dec 9, 2005
  9. I have LD titles that you cannot find... anywhere.

    They still hold their original value... if not more.

    NunYa Bidness, Dec 9, 2005
  10. Guest

    Goro Guest

    Calibrated using Avia. of course, the whites saturate a bit quickly on
    the DLP, so i had to manually correct this down a bit. Regardless,
    DVDs look very good and light years ahead of any previous format, but
    still show their limitations and on bigger screens, they show up more
    visisbly.

    OTA HDTV already shows a potential noticeable (to me) increase in
    picture quality. HDTV right now suffers from motion artifacting, but i
    assume this is from bitrate issue.

    -goro-

    Goro, Dec 9, 2005
  11. And you are a top posting idiot looking to instigate one.

    NunYa Bidness, Dec 9, 2005
  12. Guest

    Goro Guest

    This is too true. The first SEVERAL YEARS of BR, you will have to be
    extremely careful when replacing a DVD with a BRDisc. Likely, you'll
    have to check to see if it's from a HDMaster or whether it's from the
    previous master. In the latter case, it's likely to look the same as
    (or very close to) an upsampled 480p SD DVD (sans macroblocking,
    htouhg, right?) Still, for newer movies and latter day movies (some
    DVDs tout "From an HD master") it might be worth it. MIGHT.

    And then there's the diminsihing returns for (say) CASABLANCA and that
    huge catalog of classic movies that i love. Unlikely that (a) they'll
    get to it anytime soon and (b) that it will look any better. But with
    a higher bit rate and not macroblocking, maybe it would look better?
    I agree with this sentiment.

    -goro-

    Goro, Dec 9, 2005
  13. Ever been over a 40 IQ?

    NunYa Bidness, Dec 9, 2005
  14. Guest

    Justin Guest

    It's a shame Wal-Mart is evil.

    Justin, Dec 9, 2005
  15. Nope. It's the conversion that takes place for the DLP.

    I have a CRT style HDTV, and there are NO artifacts EVER.

    I go look at even the best FPDs and see it in even simple motion.

    General Instrument (the inventors of the HDTV format) used 16
    processors on their motion estimator board alone. I know that TVs
    cannot incorporate that.

    You will all see huge improvements when companies like faroudja (sp)
    start using cell cpus in TVs for such things as motion processing for
    the down conversion that gets done for DLP renderings. Even a
    standard LCD display sports the same problems... but not my CRT.

    CRTs STILL RULE! And this is one reason why. NO downconversion!

    NunYa Bidness, Dec 9, 2005
  16. True that.

    NunYa Bidness, Dec 9, 2005
  17. Guest

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Goro () wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    Probably not.

    Many movies released on laserdisc in the 1990s were from HD masters
    (everything THX certified had to be), and almost everything today gets
    the same treatment, because it doesn't really cost any more than telecine
    to SD.

    Jeff Rife, Dec 9, 2005
  18. Guest

    Goro Guest

    Wow. Interseting. I DO agree that CRTs (direct view) have better
    picture than DLP/LCD/LCos/SCRD/etc and was a major reason i didn't buy
    my DLP. BUT the size, weight of CRTs are formidable. The tradeoff is
    not so bad, but it is interesting to note that the artifacting i see on
    (say) NFL Crowd scenes are a result of the DLPs... I'll have to check
    out a CRT HDTV sometime soon.

    -goro-

    Goro, Dec 9, 2005
  19. Guest

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Not positive but I think I remember seeing Red Dragon in the bin at walmart
    for 2 for $11, so that would be 5.50. But again, not positive, dug through
    it for bout 30-40 minutes and saw MANY different movies.

    SBFan2000, Dec 10, 2005
  20. Guest

    3W Guest

    What usual 50 or 60 fps? No material is transmitted at 60 fps. Current TV is
    transmitted at 60 FIELDS per second, not 60 frames. And since we're talking
    1080p (as in PROGRESSIVE), the transmission will necessarily be frames not
    fields.

    3W, Dec 10, 2005