Dumping My DVD Collection on Ebay

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Guest, Dec 8, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Blue Ray and HD DVD are here, so I am making a move to dump my entire
    DVD collection on Ebay. Few Observations:

    Premier Sets like Band of Brothers still command good money. TV sets
    are selling better than movies. Interest on movies seems to have
    waded a bit, I coulnd't get $4.99 for A movies like Red Dragon.

    I have been buying and selling DVDs on Ebay for 5 years, I basically
    use it as a rental service, buy new, watch once and sell right away.

    5 years ago, I lost maybe a couple of bucks on a disc, now the DVD
    market has tanked that I couldn't get half price from my disc.

    Isn't it the true sign that people are avoiding buying DVDs in
    anticipation of the arrival of HD DVDs?

    I am kind of suprised that I coulnd't get $15 for a LOTR EE set. But
    I guess that makes sense, premier movices like LOTR will benefit the
    most from HD and thus people are avoiding buying them. Just a few
    thoughts.

    Guest, Dec 8, 2005

  2. Guest

    billw Guest

    No.

    Do you honestly expect people to throw out all their DVDs and get a
    new HD TV set + HD movies which offer marginal improvements over DVD ?

    You're mad if you think that. Then again, if you have the $$$ and no
    sense then anything's acceptable.

    The fact is, DVD's have reach critical mass. Prices are of DVDs are
    falling because people already have the DVD titles they want and
    manufacturer's can't keep re-selling and double-dipping any longer.

    billw, Dec 8, 2005

  3. Guest

    jm Guest

    I am avoiding buying them. I may avoid buying a non-1080p input tv
    because of it.

    jm, Dec 8, 2005
  4. ....Oh. Okay. I've heard that we'll all have flying cars someday, so
    I'm selling all my old tires. ;)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Dec 8, 2005
  5. Guest

    afiggatt Guest

    They are? I doubt if we will see any Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players before
    the spring of 2006 and even that is uncertain. I hope your HD TV has a
    DVI/HDCP or HDMI port because it is likely that the Blu-Ray and HD-DVD
    players will only send the 1080i HD signal out the copy protected
    digital port. The component will likely be good for 480i/480p only.

    I don't understand why anyone would dump their DVD collection just
    because of BR or HD-DVD on the horizon. It will be years before many of
    the DVD titles will be available on BR/HD-DVD. And will the modest
    improvement in picture quality for many older movies (those in poorer
    condition) be worth buying it all over again?

    I don't expect to buy either a BR or HD-DVD player for at least 1 or 2
    years after they hit the market and possibly even longer, depending in
    part on how draconian the copy protected requirements are.

    Alan F

    afiggatt, Dec 8, 2005
  6. Guest

    Goro Guest

    i can understand your sentiment, but isn't that basically ALL tv sets?
    I'm only aware of 2 HDTVs that take native 1080p in (HP DLP and there's
    one LCD, iirc). Top of the line Sony SXRD ($10k) doesn't. And 1080p
    is not even quite "complete" as a format, is it? IIRC, currently 1080p
    exists only in 24,25,30 fps and not the usual 50 or 60.

    Without going into yet another rant on AACS et al, I'll say that I'm
    normally an early adopter and i have a 50" 720p DLP TV and I EAGERLY
    anticipate a hi-res DVD-type format b/c there current DVDs do not (to
    me) look that good and the flaw are extremely noticeable on a 50"
    screen. Now, whether h.264 is the solution or whether mpeg-2 at 480p
    with higher bitrate could eliminate the artifacts that bother me is
    something i donut no (or if there's another solution).

    btw, has anyone watched any HD WMVs? output to a big tv? if so, how
    do they look?

    -goro-

    Goro, Dec 8, 2005
  7. You mean the flying cars are in Japan too???

    needin4mation, Dec 8, 2005
  8. Well, if he dumped them now, he might get more money out of them. He
    won't get near as much in two years when everything HD DVD BR is sorted
    out. Of course, if it is more than two years, then well, I guess he
    won't have a lot to watch for a while.

    needin4mation, Dec 8, 2005
  9. Guest

    Jeff Rife Guest

    () wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
    No, it's the true sign that you can get new DVDs for great prices from
    places that you are certain will deliver.

    Jeff Rife, Dec 8, 2005
  10. Guest

    Bratboy Guest

    I really see no reason to "dump" dvd's because an HD version may be coming.
    You have no garuntee if this or that title you really like is ever gonna be
    rereleased in HD-DVD or BlueRay so you could sell something you cant get
    again. I'd also imagine most if not all of those new HD players coming out
    NEXT YEAR will have some sort of decent upscale. At least wait till several
    players and at least some supply of HD-DVD's are physically avail at local
    stores before you dump everything. Heck I seem to recall how Superbit was
    gonna make ppl replace all their movies, back when 1st introduced, because
    it was so much better. That didnt turn out to be true, as far as I can tell
    anyway, with only a Handfull of titles in SuperBit it sure didnt render
    regular DVD's obsolete and I kind of doubt HD-DVD will either. Course I have
    different ideas for HD DVD. I'm looking forward to being able to buy entire
    Seasons on a single disk instead of 6 disc's to shuffle everything is right
    there. Wi

    Bratboy, Dec 8, 2005
  11. Guest

    Large Farva Guest

    LOL! You're not too smart are you?

    That's because you can get it at Walmart for $4.99, and by the time you add
    shipping to yours, it's a ripoff.

    That's because DVD's now cost half as much as they did 5 years ago.

    Plus with DVD Shrink, there's no reason to buy these crappy movies that are
    not worth $20. Rent it and copy it.

    Hell no. Not even close. Only tech savvy people even know what HD-DVD is,
    which leaves out 90% of the DVD buying public.

    Large Farva, Dec 8, 2005
  12. Guest

    Black Locust Guest

    You sir, are a moron of the highest order. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are here?
    I'll be damned if I've seen a single player or disc in Circuit City yet..
    Most anyone who wants LotR, already owns them. You think fans of the
    movies are going to wait until 2006 to purchase them? Just how dense are
    you?

    But by all means, dump your entire DVD collection before the OVERHYPED
    HD formats have even launched. Sure, it's thousands of dollars down the
    toilet, but it's pocket change to you, right? I'm sure you're some rich
    douchebag with tons of $$$ to burn, but you're still an idiot in my
    book.

    I built a DVD collection to have my favorite movies and TV series
    available to me for many years to come on a small compact disc that
    never wears out or deteriorates and provides good video/audio quality.
    Apparently you built a DVD collection because it was the "cool" thing to
    do at the time. Now hurry up and jump on that HD bandwagon before it's
    too late!

    Black Locust, Dec 8, 2005
  13. Guest

    pocopump Guest

    Most buyers won't buy on eBay unless they are getting a better deal
    than
    what they would pay at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. That's the motive for
    buying online.

    Also consider that you are offering used DVDs. Even if they are in
    "like new" condition,
    buyers still expect a discount if they are previously viewed.

    If a DVD title is selling for $9.98 at Wal Mart how much would you
    expect to get
    for the same title (used) if you are selling online?

    I believe the low prices on eBay has more to do with the lower prices
    at Wal-Mart.
    rather than the anticipation of Blu-Ray discs.

    pocopump, Dec 8, 2005
  14. Guest

    pocopump Guest

    Its not like the move from Laser Discs to DVDs. I sold off my LDs when
    they
    were still selling used for $15 to $25. Over the years I replaced most
    of those
    LD titles with the same DVD titles for the same price or less.

    Why sell off your DVDs at $5 each. The prices have pretty much bottomed
    out.

    pocopump, Dec 8, 2005
  15. Which is why I still have ~750 laserdiscs.

    Matthew

    Matthew L. Martin, Dec 9, 2005
  16. Guest

    SBFan2000 Guest

    Your giving them to much credit. :) Even summer of 2006 is highly
    unlikely. And if its true that BluRay is going to require a internet
    connection there will be many that won't buy, including me. As for people
    dumping their dvds for BR, I think you'll find most of them are trolls
    looking for a fight.

    SBFan2000, Dec 9, 2005
  17. Guest

    Allan Guest

    Because he is selling his collection now??
    Well Amazon has it new for $10.99... never been to Wallmart but I
    doubt your claim of $4.99... so I call your bullshit.
    All DVD's... interesting claim.

    New Sin City is $26.... don't remember paying $52 a year ago.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 9, 2005
  18. Guest

    Allan Guest

    Little harsher than normal Black.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Dec 9, 2005
  19. Ok a few of my own observations.

    No, just the fact most are waking up to what they are willing to pay for a
    movie. About $15 is my top for a BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED DVD for something I
    want. I think $10 is about where the price will settle for new releases.

    I regularly trawl the cheap bargain bins for great DVD's for my collection,
    which I WON'T be replacing with blucrap or hdcrap in the future. No, didn't have
    a big pile of VHS to replace. Another reason I won't be upgrading to any thing
    HD is the copy protection that will be on these devices. NO THANKS!

    The price fell out of the VHS tapes when it became the main stream, its now
    reached DVD now that its the main stream format.
    Thats not a premier movie, and I wouldn't pay for it period.

    So note to Peter Jackson... don't screw up King Kong!

    xxnonexnonexx, Dec 9, 2005
  20. It's spelled "Wal-Mart" and their website has Red Dragon for $10.87.
    This does not mean the other poster was wrong, as their stores and
    website often have different pricing. It's too bad you never visit
    Wal-Mart, because they have some really great DVD deals, especially on
    movies.

    -beaumon

    lorincantrell, Dec 9, 2005