Dumb question about laptops, don't laugh

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by thelionsden, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. thelionsden

    thelionsden Guest

    I know it's kind of a dumb question but I seriously have no clue.

    I work from home doing data processing and I am unable to use a laptop
    to do my work because of the way the laptop keyboards are designed. I
    access the servers belonging to my employer to process the work for
    each day via high speed internet. In order to do what I do, I need a
    more traditional keyboard with the number pad setup like on my current
    one (the one that came with my Dell machine).

    I would very much like to go wireless and be able to do this job from
    anywhere, even if it means just being able to sit out on my porch when
    the weather is nice, so I have wondered if there is a way to hook up a
    traditional keyboard to a laptop, or find a laptop with a more
    traditional type of keyboard?

    My supervisor told me that she was doubtful about using a laptop to do
    my work because she said the monitor resolution wouldn't be good
    enough, but would that be the case with newer model? I am accessing
    scanned images and keying in info from those images. Would resolution
    be a real problem? In her words, she'd tried it and said the
    resolution as well as the keyboard keeped her from being able to do
    very much... speed is an issue, I have to be very fast to make any
    money, so if the logistics of a laptop setup would slow me down too
    much then I'll have to forget the idea, but if I can work around it,
    I'd love to not be tied to my home computer for this job.

    Thanks if you can help!

    thelionsden, Apr 10, 2006

  2. thelionsden

    Alex Clayton Guest

    If all you need is the number pad, you can buy one that uses a USB port. As
    to the screen, I would say either it had been a long time ago that she tried
    a laptop or she had no idea what she was doing. Even the cheap ones now have
    great screens.

    Alex Clayton, Apr 10, 2006

  3. thelionsden

    Pen Guest

    All laptops will support an external keyboard and a mouse. Also
    larger external monitors.

    Pen, Apr 10, 2006
  4. thelionsden

    thelionsden Guest

    Yay! This is exciting. Maybe I can sell my desktop and do this...
    it'd be great to be free from the desk and the house

    Thanks for the info!

    thelionsden, Apr 10, 2006
  5. thelionsden

    Dr Nick Guest

    one other option would be to go with a "desktop replacement" laptop. HP
    makes a decent one, it's big, but has a full keyboard with number pad, and a
    giant 17" widescreen monitor.
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/s...otebooks/hp_pavilion&storeName=computer_store

    no idea what battery life would be, but if you could plug it in, could suit
    you just fine.

    (I'm not in any way shape or form affiliated with HP, I happen to own an HP
    laptop and have had great luck with it, my friend also has the older model
    of this laptop and it's been great for him as well)

    -nick

    Dr Nick, Apr 11, 2006
  6. thelionsden

    bmoag Guest

    Several different issues.
    Your laptop likely has a PS2 or USB port so you can use any keyboard you
    like. You can use a wireless mouse/keyboard if you like. Even with an
    external mouse/keyboard you can still use the notebook keyboard/touchpad.
    Whether you connect your laptop to your router via a cable or a wireless
    connection is up to you. Either is much faster than the connection through
    the internet.
    If you are using your laptop already as a client from a remote server that
    would suggest there are no issues with conflicting screen resolutions. Many
    data programs will not display correctly except with one particular screen
    resolution, often 800x600. If you have to dumb down a laptop LCD to the
    lower resolution the result is often very ugly and may actually be
    unreadable.

    bmoag, Apr 11, 2006